Author Topic: Side by sides  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Side by sides
« on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a side by side and am wondering what brand and models you'd recommend to buy and avoid.  I want something along the lines of the Polaris Ranger because I like the bigger box to haul stuff.  Also what size motor would you recommend?  I think I'd be better off with a 900 or something close to that because of the higher weight capacity ratings because I'm also going to use it during the hunting season and around the house besides riding for fun. 

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Side by sides
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Are you buying new or used? I was just looking at rangers for my FIL and all they offer now is a 1000 engine, and the price seems to have gone up with it. If you're buying used you can find other engine sizes, but do you trust that the PO took care of it? To be honest I haven't seen much on the new market that a person could consider "affordable". Most machines are anywhere from 11k to 20k, and quite a few over that range too. Basically you're buying a car at those prices. One that I'm seriously looking at is the cub cadet challenger. The come with a 750 engine, plus they're rigged from the start with windshields, roofs, doors, winches, bumpers, front and rear receivers, aluminum rims and better than average tires. There's a 4 up model near me that's 12k right now, plus 1200 for the plow and I'm seriously considering it. All I can say is to do your research very thoroughly before you make your mind up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:47 PM »
At this point I'm probably going to go the used route because of the high prices for the new ones.  I've seen some reasonably priced new Rangers Crew Cab's with the 570 motor that were in the $10,000 range and some mid size versions for around $8,000 - $9,000 with the 570 motor, and the full size Rangers with the 570 motor for around $10,000.  I've also seen some used ones for $5,000 and more.  I'm still in the figuring out what Ideally I'd want and would rather a crew cab version because I could take my family with me when I go riding for fun.   I'm open to suggestions on what brand and model to get and mentioned the Polaris Ranger for reference purposes and have heard that they're a quality machine.  Also is there a big advantage to going with a bigger motor or would the 570 be good enough?

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:52 PM »
With any wheeled machine go with Japanese, mechanically and all around quality you cant beat them. Polaris puts out an inferior product.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Could you please save me some time and list the makes and models that are Japanese?  What make and model do you have in the Ranger type vehicle?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:42 PM »
I took the plunge about a year ago. I did a lot of research but to be honest with you I've always been kind of partial to Yamaha. I scoped out the Polaris's, reviews on them were so-so. Many reviews said people always working on them. To be honest I think Polaris probably has the greater market share and with more of them out there, more of them are gonna be worked on but I had a Polaris snowsled and a 4 wheeler and worked on them a lot.
Can Am's are also popular around here, probably second to Polaris. They seem to have a good line up. I didn't look into them too much. I forget why, maybe I was less than impressed with their cab system.
I took a serious look at the Honda Pioneer. It has 4 seats which was at the top of the list for me. I think it has a transmission similar to a car or truck and read some reviews where they had problems with their transmission. The Honda was very pricey. Outfitted the way I wanted it was 5 grand more than the Yamaha.
I'm sure Kawasaki makes a good machine and the Teryx looks a lot like the Wolverine x4 I ended up getting.
Basically, I had run Yamaha motor cross's when I was young and then Yamaha street bikes when I got older and they always got me home. A big reason for my decision. The Yamaha CVT gets great reviews also.
I would look at your priorities, you said you want the big box. Do you want a 4 seater or will 2 do? Look at the maximum width allowed to ride on your trails. Some of these machines are made for farmers on the ranch and not allowed on recreational trails. Personally I think a 570cc would be under powered for a SXS and you'll probably be disappointed on the trails with one.
A couple of my priorities were 4X4, 4 seater, and a good cab system with heater. I'm not saying it's the best and it is certainly not the fastest but it suits my needs.

It must be something in the water.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:27 PM »
In a perfect world I'd get one with the crew cab, totally enclosed cab, and heater.  Realistically I'd like to get one with the crew cab (front and back seats so I can take my wife and kids with me for rides) with a box big enough to put a deer or bear in the back and good power.  I know I'm not interested in the Polaris RZR or General or anything like them. 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:41 PM »

They have these in 2 and 4 door, with a dump box if you want. They are called "Japanese mini trucks" Google it.

Offline Njdiverdan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I have a 2012 Ranger 800.  Not the crew, but the wider that sits 3 across the front.  From a power standpoint the 800 has been great, even with a full box going up some Idaho mountains to pack in camp it has never struggled.  Very smooth ride with great suspension.  Also has a good center of gravity.  I can go up steep trails with the ranger that I cannot go up on my 4 wheeler without the front coming up. 

The down side to the ranger is the 4 wheel drive system.  It does not lock in.  In 4 wheel, the front wheels do not engage until the rear wheels slip.  More like an all wheel drive car than a 4 wheel drive truck.  This annoys me as I feel the back end slipping around and I want to power through it like I do with my truck or my can am 4 wheeler.  For the ranger, putting chains on the back makes it pretty much unstoppable so that is how I compensate.  Not sure how it would perform with tracks, but thinking about them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:46 PM »
I have a Yamaha Viking 700 with eps and a full heated hard cab. It seats three in individual seats and the bed is big enough for a full size pallet to fit in. I may be too wide for trails, but we don't have any where I live. It is a very nice unit for ice fishing and I haul everything that two people need for a day of ice fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Everybody has an opinion and what they are driving is always the best!

I have been running a full size standard cab Ranger 900 with no problems to date since new.  It is a Browning addition with a hard cab, power steering, power windows and a front rope winch (standard).  I added a windshield wiper and heater, I praise the heater every time I get in the machine during grouse, moose hunting season and early ice fishing.  I would highly recommend a heater.

I would have no problem buying another Ranger because of the experience I have had with mine, lots of dealers and part availability.  The 900 starts even in our extremely cold conditions, it gets beat over granite, stumps, bogs, snow and at times carries big loads (materials for the outposts) on the boat rack I have built on it, it has been stuck, but has not quit yet.  I am sure the Honda is fine, but would probably take a harder look at a Can AM before I would a Honda, look who owns Cub Cadet now, think that tells about the quality of them.

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Check out the Mahindra roxor .  :tipup:

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Could you please save me some time and list the makes and models that are Japanese?  What make and model do you have in the Ranger type vehicle?
Kawasaki Teryx, or Yamaha. My sons had a Teryx  for 3 years now, absolutely no issues.  I would avoid Polaris like the black plague, nothing but headaches and time in the shop and money out of your pocket.  Ya they come cheap and that's probably why people buy them. 

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I was in a similar situation to you about 3 years ago.  There's so many different manufactures now.  I think having a good dealer (unless you do all your work yourself) is a big plus.  I ended up going with an Arctic Cat Prowler 700.  I've been pleased so far.  I use mine for plowing, hunting, fishing, and trick 'r treating :)

I think you need to figure out your must haves, you're 'i'd like to have', and your budget.  Find out which make(s)/model(s) fit in that; and then go test drive!  The buying process shouldn't be a PITA.  You should enjoy it.  You're going to spend a lot of money on it.

anywho... that's my $0.02.

Offline Kingpin426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Has anyone used SXS for ice fishing yet? I have a 900xp Ranger wheeled, I don't really want to get tracks as we don't get enough snow to warrant them for me. I have thought about doing a little traveling though to ice fish this year and wanted to take it with. Does the wheel sxs do okay on the snow and ice? I can have a plow to help this also but really don't want to travel with that either.
Thanks for any help.

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2023, 08:20 AM »
I have a 700 pioneer 4 seater. Only have about 1000 miles, but no problems. I use it for snow plowing, ice fishing and some trail riding. I’m lucky enough to live on a lake so it’s really handy to just drag my otter from our property right on the lake. The big negative you hear it the 700 is it’s slow, only tops out at around 40, which is fine for me. Just have the canvas doors and real panel, no heater and I have no plans to add one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.