Author Topic: Which Yamaha 4 wheeler to buy?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline buckshot21

• IceShanty Rookie
Which Yamaha 4 wheeler to buy?
« on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Hello, I'm looking to get a 4 wheeler to strictly use for ice fishing. I've narrowed it down to two that are fairly local to me. First is a 2011 Yamaha Big Bear 400. Upgrades are: 5000 lbs. winch, front cargo box, 2-up passenger seat and cargo box,Garmin Trex-20 hand held GPS and a GPS mount on ATV, ATV cover. 1600 miles. I can purchase this one for $2500

Second one is a 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 450 with 1482 miles and 200 hours. Upgrades are a winch and a back seat with storage box. It is a Blue one with upgraded rims. Apparently this is some kind of upgrade from a base Grizzly. It also has the electronic power steering and is an automatic. I can get this one for $3300.

The 2013 Grizzly looks to be "cleaner" than the Big Bear. I'm also wondering if shifting gears with my foot and the Big Bear and ice fishing boots would be a major PITA. Any opinions would be greatly apprecaited as I don't have the most knowledge on wheelers. Thanks!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Which Yamaha 4 wheeler to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Where abouts are you located?

Offline buckshot21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I'm near Burlington Vermont

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Ok, to far away to mention some closer to me. Do you know the history on either machine, how many owners, age of the owners? Not always true, but sometimes younger drivers are more aggressive and put a little more stress on a machine. Both of yours look pretty decent for miles and hours vs the age.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Love my Grizzly and use it almost exclusively for icefishing.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I would lean toward the Grizzly, with power steering, I assume it would also be fuel injected which will make for easier starting and being an automatic, it would be easier that manual shifting

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:47 PM »
I have a 2001 600 grizzly and its a best..
I dont use it for ice transportation but if i put chains on it ,it will go through a lot of slush and snow..
Bought mine several years ago cheep and put money into it  and its like brannew..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline buckshot21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Response from the Big Bear seller who has me leaning toward this one now. The person selling the Grizzly is a female who is the second owner. She said one of the tires leaks air and just recently said the coolant light comes on periodically. I wonder what else she may be leaving out....

(Big Bear)There are absolutely no issues with it at all.  Does not leak oil, (as some do) and I never had a problem with it.  I changed the gear oil,  motor oil and filter, as well as the air filters once a year.  Only needs to be changed every 1000 miles or so.  I understand about the uncertainty of buying a ATV used.  I have bought 3 used and 2 brand new and I understand your feelings.  It has been reliable for me.  Last year I used it twice during the summer riding season and it started right up both times.  The only thing about the wheeler is that Yamahas normally take a little while to warm up, like 3-6 min.  If you  jump on it when it is warm you are fine.  Best practice if it is cold is to start it and let it idle for 3-6 min.  This allows the crankcase oil to heat up enough for it to shift better.  If it is cold, will it shift?...…...Absolutely and there is not much difference in the crankcase between warm and cold.  However, I was always taught to "warm the engine up" before you use it (car, motorcycle, etc.) so that there is less stress on the parts while running it.  Don't know if that is true or not, but I have never been told otherwise.   That is the only idiosyncrasy it has.  If you go on a "Big Bear" blog other owners will say the same thing.  It runs and shifts perfectly fine.

Some people drive their ATV to (what I call )"Break it".  I am a 52 year old man that realizes if I break it, I need to fix it.  I always rode it so it would not break.  Like I said, I have two others and only 2 riders in our family.  It need to go to a good home where someone will ride it more than I.  I can 't see you having any trouble with it.

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2018, 02:11 PM »
I have a big bear.  Its a very solid machine.  There is less to go wrong on it.  It tows better because of the manual transmission.  Shifting with big boots is a pain, but is easily resolved with a shifting handle.  The Grizzly is much faster, my Big Bear top end is about 30mph.  Big Bear will still be carbureted, I think that year grizzly is fuel injected. 

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I’m a grizzly guy. But go with your gut on a used machine.

Offline eyeballer6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Automatic is nice..

Offline flagup2033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Hi I purchased a grizzly 660 new in 2004 I have 1000 miles on it and have never had an issue with the machine . its an automatic tows with no problem love that machine it’s a work horse
Chains are a must for the ice

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:24 AM »
If you're looking to spend that much for a used I'd put that money on a new one without someone else's prolems.I got a 16 grizzly 700 and is a beast in trails and on the ice.It replaced a 2003 grizzly 660 that never let me down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.