Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112541 times)

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #330 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Hey Gamalot, any way you could post a pic of how those runners are installed?  I now have them, and want to make sure I am doing that right. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #331 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Hey Gamalot, any way you could post a pic of how those runners are installed?  I now have them, and want to make sure I am doing that right.

Here are the pics but if you got the exact ones I got it was easy. Cut them in half leaving 2 studs on one and only one stud on the other half I drilled and counter sunk a flat pan head stainless machine screw to make a second stud in the half with just one stud. I placed them on the rear of the Snowdog sled on the outside runner strips.

I put the pair with 2 studs on them on my Otter XT Pro Resort sled the same way.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Perfect!  Thanks.   My only concern is I did not get the sled that comes with the dog, so I don't have the already installed composite runners that are on the Snowdog sled.  I can definitely make it work though. 

Thanks again!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Perfect!  Thanks.   My only concern is I did not get the sled that comes with the dog, so I don't have the already installed composite runners that are on the Snowdog sled.  I can definitely make it work though. 

Thanks again!

In that case I am sure I would use a piece of flat aluminum stock on the inside just to beef up the plastic sled bottom. The carbide runners will have a lot of pressure on them and could probably collapse or break the plastic if not supported inside.

Gam

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #334 on: Mar 24, 2019, 01:06 PM »
New milestone for the homedog...
check it out

Dad filmed in slow motion lol, I sped it up in iMovie but its still slowish lol.

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Mar 26, 2019, 12:53 PM »
They are work horses.  That’s for sure!  I able to move a pretty heavy shed with mine at my property.  No problem at all. 

Offline Seus

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Not all who wander are Lost!
« Reply #336 on: Aug 28, 2020, 10:42 AM »
I there anyone in Ontario that is willing to build one for a paying customer. I do not have the tools or the knowledge but would be willing to pay a reasonable price for one. Not going to pay the large amoune Snowdog wants for their machines.
Seus

Keep'em Tight!
Not all who wander are Lost!

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #337 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:28 AM »
I just thought I would share with you guys what followed me home today. For $500 I couldn't turn this deal down.
It runs excellent. It has a predator 6.5. The guy had fabed up a little cart to run around the yard to do yard work.
I got a heavy duty sled to go with it. With urethane wear bars. The way I understand it this is not a snow dog its a mule.
It was some of the first prototypes coming out of Germany. This one is about 6 years old. I can see my grandkids and
great grandkids loving this. looks to be put together real simple. My boys want to make a couple more. Tight Lines HH

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Sep 01, 2020, 02:40 PM »
I have to ask as I have used a snowmobile for ice fishing for years and know the dangers that can be from using one.  As I look at these being most people stand up while driving them there has to be a few with some sprained or broken legs or arms.  Sitting down behind one would make sense but standing on such a small platform just seems to be a recipe for injury?  Would love to hear the stories.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:27 PM »
I have to ask as I have used a snowmobile for ice fishing for years and know the dangers that can be from using one.  As I look at these being most people stand up while driving them there has to be a few with some sprained or broken legs or arms.  Sitting down behind one would make sense but standing on such a small platform just seems to be a recipe for injury?  Would love to hear the stories.
[/quot

Good observation and you would be correct if your assessment was right. You DO NOT ride on these at all and instead you get pulled in a sled attached behind them. You can stand or sit in the sled and these do not go all that fast. A real Snowdog might get up to about 20 MPH on a good day but wow are they mules for pulling a heavy load and even through pretty deep snow. Call it a tow motor or tractor because all it does is drag a load behind it. The one above in that picture has a platform in front for gear and the handlebars flip to the rear for driving it. For safety's sake if I was playing around with just me in the sled behind and doing stupid stuff at WOT I would recommend wearing a helmet because the ice is pretty hard on your noggin if you do dump it. When ever I use it as it was designed for I usually have 2 or 3 sleds/shanties behind it and I don't try to play or go real fast, just getting to where I want to fish with little effort. They can flip over pretty easily but going in a relatively straight line to the spot you want to get to is a breeze and not at all dangerous. On glare ice with no snow I highly recommend you stud the track or it will be sideways pretty quick. Kold Kutter Ice Screws work great.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:34 PM »
[/quot

Good observation and you would be correct if your assessment was right. You DO NOT ride on these at all and instead you get pulled in a sled attached behind them. You can stand or sit in the sled and these do not go all that fast. A real Snowdog might get up to about 20 MPH on a good day but wow are they mules for pulling a heavy load and even through pretty deep snow. Call it a tow motor or tractor because all it does is drag a load behind it. The one above in that picture has a platform in front for gear and the handlebars flip to the rear for driving it. For safety's sake if I was playing around with just me in the sled behind and doing stupid stuff at WOT I would recommend wearing a helmet because the ice is pretty hard on your noggin if you do dump it. When ever I use it as it was designed for I usually have 2 or 3 sleds/shanties behind it and I don't try to play or go real fast, just getting to where I want to fish with little effort. They can flip over pretty easily but going in a relatively straight line to the spot you want to get to is a breeze and not at all dangerous. On glare ice with no snow I highly recommend you stud the track or it will be sideways pretty quick. Kold Kutter Ice Screws work great.

Yes I see that you ride behind but looking at those 2 wheels behind that one looks like I would be on the ground in no time.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #341 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Thats the summer/lawn attachment.similiar to the stand up mowers.probably for riding around hauling wood up front.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #342 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:55 PM »
I have a Gravely sulky I ride behind my Snowdog on land and yup, you can get dumped off real quick if you ride like a fool. These things are TOOLS and not TOYS.

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #343 on: Sep 01, 2020, 08:35 PM »
I have a Gravely sulky I ride behind my Snowdog on land and yup, you can get dumped off real quick if you ride like a fool. These things are TOOLS and not TOYS.
AMEN!

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Oct 27, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Hey Smarter and wiser people than me!

I need some help - I am a newbie clutch guy. I have a Honda GX630, I would like to connect that to a sprocket on a driveshaft on a snowmobile to run through the chaincase to rotate the track. I am looking for torque vs. top speed.  The Honda has a 1" shaft and 1/4" keyway.

What options (parts list) should I look at.

Can you help? Thanks in advance.
Ice fishing is better than open water - change my mind!

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #345 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:22 PM »
I am not at all a rocket scientist but when you say the "Chain case" on the snowmobile I suspect that means some sort of a transmission or torque conversion unit. The gearing would be in the final drive of the existing track set up and all the Honda engine will be doing is providing the power to the drive shaft. Sprocket sizing would be determined by the sprocket size of the original motor you are replacing and how high it reved at WOT. This stuff can get real deep in the weeds since we don't know how much torque the new motor can produce or what the full sprocket arrangement entails.

What I can tell you is you do not need nor want a snow mule type machine to blast along at much over 20+ MPH. You do want it to have the low end grunt to pull a heavy load without burning up clutches or belts. How much weight the machine can pull is directly relative to how much weight is over the track and how much traction the track can achieve under it.

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #346 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:32 PM »
So would you just connect the new engine to the jackshaft of the snowmobile track? Sorry you'll have to excuse me I am a complete newbie but I can weld etc.

If I did that it may make the fabrication harder, but gearing easier. I am not interested in blasting down the lake, just want to make my walk out a little easier.

Thanks

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #347 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:02 PM »
You will need a torque converter system and then connect the chain Off that to a sprocket mounted on the shaft where the old pulley was on the snowmobile drive.google go cart torque converter or mini bike torque converter.a plain old centrifugal clutch will burn out in a few minutes trying to drive a track.

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Great - thanks. That's what I thought.

Now specifically, do you know of one that can handle that engine?

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:17 PM »
That is what I was trying to get at. Something must be between the track and the engine to control the spin. Some snow machines, probably most have a rubber belt on a centrifugal clutch or they have a chain with a torque converter/transmission.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #350 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Something like this.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Oct 28, 2020, 05:31 AM »
Something like this.

Great info Doc! I am pretty sure they make similar converters in a larger size 40 maybe but the ones to ask for the best solution would be guys very familiar with the snowmobile machines. From my very limited knowledge of those types of clutches I have to assume they work when they are matched to the RPM the engine can produce. The faster the engine spins the higher the belt rides on the plates and the faster the track turns. If I am correct then the thing to get figured out for his particular needs might be the the strength of the clutch springs and the belt size.

My statement about getting into the weeds came from my experience with dirt bikes. Most have just an engine drive sprocket and a final rear wheel one so it was simple to play around with smaller tooth and larger tooth to achieve different results. Then I bought a Yamaha Big Wheel 350 that incorporated a Jackshaft and added two additional sprockets. Changing the tooth count on any of the 4 sprockets resulted in some very different end performance characteristics but it had to be done because Yamaha decided to discontinue production of just one of the jackshaft sprockets.

We do have a few members here who have converted sleds over to snowdog type machines and those members are usually very forthcoming with the trials and tribulations they learned in their builds. I don't often like suggesting the search function here but I suspect the term Snow Dog might bring up the threads I know are here.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Nov 14, 2020, 02:47 PM »
Just a heads up to anyone who bought a Snow dog with out the reverse feature, who wants to retrofit one with that feature. Dang ! $800+. Part # 4488-9900-0000. For that kind of cash moving forward is the only way my dog will move.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #353 on: Nov 14, 2020, 03:41 PM »
Just a heads up to anyone who bought a Snow dog with out the reverse feature, who wants to retrofit one with that feature. Dang ! $800+. Part # 4488-9900-0000. For that kind of cash moving forward is the only way my dog will move.

Exactly Poco+loco! I was one of the first here with a Snowdog and it was near impossible to find one of the original models with the reverse option. They claimed there was some issue with the original reverse gearing setup and were doing a complete redesign of the system. Those who did get the original reverse were very dissatisfied with how it worked but the cost to either upgrade or add the newer reverse system is totally ridiculous plus to DIY the install is about a 5 to 6 hours job for a highly mechanical guy or gal with the necessary tools.

My Snowdog goes forward fine but for $50 I just bought a Harbor Freight cheap winch and can yank the dog backwards and forward if I get it stuck or laid on it's side. It is a process with a small kayak collapsible anchor but it will get me out of deep slush on the ice or backed out from a jamb in the woods.

I have watched guys with sleds stuck in deep slush and it is no easy job getting it out and usually takes a couple other machines and a few strong guys helping.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #354 on: Nov 15, 2020, 01:32 PM »
I have also used a furniture dolly that I  drive up on before storing in my shed,that makes moving it around and getting it back out a piece of cake.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:17 PM »
I was also thinking about studding my track for more traction on glare ice. Do these studs  in any way gouge out the underside  of the laminated wood base that holds the whole thing together?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Nope. The Dog was designed for them.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Just don't put in too many studs, steering problems will arise.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #358 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:31 AM »
The paddle ribs on the track are set up for studding but just with Ice Screws. On the ribs you will see round rubber dots where the screws can go. I staggered my studding screws, 2 screws in one rib and 3 in the next one and this worked well on bare ice and snow. More importantly on bare ice is the gear you are pulling behind you staying directly behind you. If it starts wagging the dog and sliding all over it can spin the entire train. On my big shanty I had to install snowmoblie track runners made of carbide to keep it tracking straight on glare ice. I agree, too many studs in your track will make steering much harder.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Dec 07, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Does anyone out there know what  size links  the sprocket drive chain on the Snow dogs are ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.