Author Topic: 2016-2017 Northern Pike Management Report  (Read 1028 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
2016-2017 Northern Pike Management Report
« on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Just found this report and thought it was very informative, interesting, and even quite eye-opening.  I found it to be a testament to how fragile this fishery is in CT based on how a bad of an effect a year class or discontinued stocking has on CT lakes.  I feel it is also a testament to all the hard work and investigation/experimentation into more cost effective and efficient ways to modify our stocking program to produce a higher survival rate from egg to adult.  A little bit of a long read, but worth it if you pike fish in CT.  Enjoy!

https://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/performance_reports/northern_pike_2016.pdf

Offline BigMook

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2016-2017 Northern Pike Management Report
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Pretty informative but the picture in figure 2 on the right ( juvenile pike) is a grass pickerel. You would think the fishery biologists would catch that before printing it.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:02 PM »
It does look like a pickerel, even small pike have some red or brown in the fins, that looks very green.

Very informative article, I live in Bristol but grew up in Burlington, drive through the town quite often. I saw the equipment being used to dredge that pond parked on George Washington trpk, thought it was to dig out the trout ponds a few years back. They forgot to mention the predation by bald eagles and ospreys up there too. I do like how it scientifically graphed why I caught absolutely nothing while I ice fished as a student up at UConn at MHR, 2006 and 2007. Nice post.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Yes, Pike Fishing in CT is very limited and where you can fish them. To bad they don't stock more, only about (2500) as they are a great fish to catch through the ice especially.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.