Author Topic: Building a Tip Down Shanty  (Read 94935 times)

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building a Tip Down Shanty
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2013, 05:15 PM »
This is a really cool build.  I too have not seen a shanty like this and am impressed!  Keep up the good work, looking forward to checking out the final product!
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »
One thing about a shanty like this is that you can't keep stuff in it when setting it upright !! You would gave your gear all over the place. How do you solve that problem??  Put everything in after you tip it down on the ice??  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:49 PM »
One thing about a shanty like this is that you can't keep stuff in it when setting it upright !! You would gave your gear all over the place. How do you solve that problem??  Put everything in after you tip it down on the ice??  :icefish:
Yes, I thought about that before the build. I plan on bring the shanty home everytime I go fishing and I can change fishing spots daily. Also, then I don't have to worry about anyone breaking in. But you're right you would have to take everything out of the shanty. But my thinking is if I have a perm shanty (the kind with skids) seating on the ice for a few days and your not fishing in it you would have to remove everything or someone might steal things. You have to block it up and the wind can blow the shanty over. A few years back the Bay opened up with all the wind blowing and about 10 shacks were lost.
I was thinking I might build some kind of cabinet to hold fishing poles, tackle box and folding chairs. So then I just have to load and unload my Marcum camera, bait, buddy heater and food/drinks.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I like it

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:34 PM »
Looking nice, giving me ideas.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Looking great!  :thumbsup:

Like others, I've never seen anything like this...very cool.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:38 PM »
On Monday I finished the sheeting on the roof and framed the windows.
I keep my windows low so if I run tip-ups I can keep an eye on them when seating down.
Using a sanding block I rounded all the edges so it won't cut into the shrink wrap.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Awsome build! :)  I question how do trailer lights work on it so they don't get beat up when in shanty mode?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Awsome build! :)  I question how do trailer lights work on it so they don't get beat up when in shanty mode?
Still working that one out, but I do have some ideas.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Still working that one out, but I do have some ideas.
id use the magnetic ones
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:08 PM »
id use the magnetic ones
I never seen magnetic tail lights.
Do you have a web site for them?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Monday afternoon I was able to stretch the boat shrink wrap onto the shanty. With the sun out it made it easier to pull it tight. 1-1/2" Roofing nails were used to nail the poly in place. I had a few wrinkles but by the time the sun went down the poly got tighter. I think a few more days in the sun and the poly will be tight as a drum.   

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Here you go beeler and by the way that shack is looking sweet, got me and one of my fishing buddies thinking hard about building one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-69626.html

this was one of the cheaper ones on amazon but there is a ton of them. Just search magnetic tow lights

http://www.amazon.com/Valley-52000-Magnetic-Towing-Light/dp/B000CQ269A/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1381808293&sr=1-11&keywords=magnetic+tow+lights
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Beeler

« Reply #43 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Thanks Muskyon45 for the info on the magnetic tail lights. I looked on the web site it says the magnets have a holding power of 100# thats good and the price is cheap enough. I have one idea to check out before I go that route.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Are you going to be pulling this down the road far?  What's to stop stones and such kicked up from you vehicle from puncturing the wrap on either the bottom or the front?  Did I miss the photo where those sides were sheathed in plywood or something more rigid?
Chris Raymond

Offline Beeler

« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Are you going to be pulling this down the road far?  What's to stop stones and such kicked up from you vehicle from puncturing the wrap on either the bottom or the front?  Did I miss the photo where those sides were sheathed in plywood or something more rigid?

I didn't think about that &*%$#@..........
From the front of the hitch to the shanty is 7' I don't know if this will help. Other wise I have a 4'x8' sheet of .040/18 gauge aluminum that I can screw on. But I'll wait until I start having a problem. The bottom is sheeted with 1/4" ply and the roof and walls are 1/2" foam which are covered with boat shrink wrap.
Thanks for the caution.
That's why I like this site, the more input the better.   

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 15, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Or just get yourself one of those rv hitches with the 18 wheeler like mud flaps.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #47 on: Oct 15, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Or just get yourself one of those rv hitches with the 18 wheeler like mud flaps.
Good idea, I rather do that then add more weight to the shanty.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2013, 01:30 PM »
They have a set of " rock tamers" @ cabelas in GB in the cave f 200 I think, I used a piece of 2" sq tubing to slide over the reciver hitch and welded 3/4" tubing to mount the brush style rock catchers I picked up on ebay I have about 50$ into mine but no pics right now

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 16, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Thats one sweet setup!! As for rock protection id definitely go with some light aluminum sheeting, I think the weight added will be negligble in comparison to the protection. Youd hate to get to the lake having the roof of your shanty looking like someone did some shotgun patterning on it!!

Offline Beeler

« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2013, 06:43 PM »
They have a set of " rock tamers" @ cabelas in GB in the cave f 200 I think, I used a piece of 2" sq tubing to slide over the reciver hitch and welded 3/4" tubing to mount the brush style rock catchers I picked up on ebay I have about 50$ into mine but no pics right now
I plan on making my own also by using some conveyor belt material for the flaps and then use the metal design you came up with.
Thanks for the input

Offline Beeler

« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Trying to make thermopane windows by having plexiglass on both sides of the window frame. So I started out with some cedar 3/4" x 2" and made the frame to fit the opening. Then cut a groove on the edge, added silicone caulking inside the groove and then placed the plexiglass on top. I used PVC garage door stop for the trim and brass screws to hold the trim and plexiglass in place. I'll repeat the same thing on the inside of the shanty but with cedar wood trim.   

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:21 AM »
You really thought that out. They look great.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #53 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:46 AM »
You really thought that out. They look great.
Thanks, sometimes I don't sleep at night.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Thanks, sometimes I don't sleep at night.

Too excited??

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:18 AM »
great job, really came  out nice

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:13 PM »
that is awesome I truly like it , now for my habit of over doing things  :) could the floor portion be hinged and the back wall (trailer side) be reinforced and also used as a toy hauler (ie:4-wheeler) with out making it impractical ?   ???
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline Beeler

« Reply #57 on: Oct 30, 2013, 07:39 AM »
that is awesome I truly like it , now for my habit of over doing things  :) could the floor portion be hinged and the back wall (trailer side) be reinforced and also used as a toy hauler (ie:4-wheeler) with out making it impractical ?   ???
Yes, I think you could design it to haul a 4 wheeler, it just would be heavier.
The floor of the shanty could be hinged easily for a ramp. I'm not sure how long a 4 wheeler is but I would think the height of the walls would have to be longer then what I have and you would need to add more studs and 3/4" plywood on the back wall. I think the rest of walls and roof could be built like I have it now.   

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:19 AM »
That thing is awesome Beeler. I think I found inspiration for my next build!
One question. Have you noticed much flex in the shanty when you are tipping it over? Either standing it up or layng it down? It looks like there would be a lot of stress on the door side.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #59 on: Oct 31, 2013, 12:27 PM »
That thing is awesome Beeler. I think I found inspiration for my next build!
One question. Have you noticed much flex in the shanty when you are tipping it over? Either standing it up or layng it down? It looks like there would be a lot of stress on the door side.
Thanks cff, for the nice words.
Their is no flex at all, what helps is the sq tubing the width of the shanty and the corner braces.
It's solid when you tip it up or down. Remember I used glue and screws when building the frame and then used 5/16" bolts to fasten the shanty to the trailer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.