New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091836 times)

Offline tryin to catch Champy

• IceShanty Rookie
Just took a drive around Putnam County and all i found was open water or just beginning to skim over. Was in Albany area on Monday and tomhannock reservoir was still wide open. Only found ice once i got 30 min north of there. I'm planning to go north to champlain next weekend.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
safe ice in Sullivan  currently sitting on 5" fishing is slow bunch of flags but only 2 fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
any ice report for Sullivan looking to get out tomorrow morning. thanks
pictures of the smitty sled i build anyone add anything to there they reccomend

I would suggest two cam buckle strap..every thing else looks good ...if you have a hub shelter could always get the Eskimo Deluxe tie down kit ...EZPZ anchors and two cam buckle straps two birds one stone...on discount bout 15-20 bucks
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Lake Devanaugh, up near Highland Lake does contain Trout but the Homeowners Association does not allow you to keep any.....all must be released.  My buddy and I pulled about 20 of them thru the ice in three hours last year.

Does anyone know if there's walkable ice on White Pond in Putnam ???

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
    I was thinking of heading out tomarrow ...   just was wondering if there is any snow on the ice??  :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  Hello Iceballs   Maybe we get to fish togather this year ?? :icefish:
images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
    I was thinking of heading out tomarrow ...   just was wondering if there is any snow on the ice??  :icefish:

No snow on the ice in lower Sullivan county ..found 3.5-4 plus inches on my local lake..be out tomorrow in the shallows.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
a solid 5' on a 60 acre lake in Sullivan today...making ice when I left at dark...had fun with some new gadgets ….but got SKUNKED!...beats working, there is no snow and it is slick so be careful. inlets and outlets still questionable and take caution, 5"  can thin to 2" real quick with springs and flow underneath.
got a visit from DEC officer Mike...heck of a nice guy and exactly what we need to see more of.
tight lines

Offline Skylands27

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome, thanks for the update, I am going to prod through a bunch of lakes tomorrow. Nice to hear there are dec guys out, as someone from nj, i see SOOOO many poached saltwater fish it kills me, so seeing them monitor if you are staying legal is always 100% great in my book!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you to all who have posted reports good to read a few of you have gotten out fishing.
IceBalls you may already have seen this Tryin to catch Champy reported most lakes in Putnam county are still open water with skim ice.

Still no word back from Monticello FD on if they will hold a contest this year think I will call Sports Nuts tomorrow and see if they have heard anything.
Good fishing to everyone remember to check the ice as you go out and move around still maybe thin areas.
Steve

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
so ill start the debate how close is to close for some1 to set up next to you on the ice when your running tip-ups?

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like to give people some distance 200'....
good day on the ice...careful out there lots of open water and thin depending on the body of water from what notice today scouting and fishing.
Question: lifespan of a transducer?

My LX& transducer died this am!! >:( of course it could not die in July....yeah I know
What has been your expereince with lifespan?

tight lines

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like to give people some distance 200'....
good day on the ice...careful out there lots of open water and thin depending on the body of water from what notice today scouting and fishing.
Question: lifespan of a transducer?

My LX& transducer died this am!! >:( of course it could not die in July....yeah I know
What has been your expereince with lifespan?

tight lines

I got my LX7 unit beginning of last season and have had no problems since then. Not sure how long you have had yours for

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 I called Sport Nuts bait-tackle in Rock Hill,NY. this afternoon person I spoke with has not heard anything about Monticello FD having a contest this year. Looks like the fire department may have decided to hold some other type of fund raiser in the Winter.

For everyone's info. here are names and phone numbers for some bait-tackle shops in Sullivan County.    Tom's Bait shop Fair Oaks,NY (Bloomingburg area)  845-733-4642  on Prosperous Valley road hours 6 Am-9 PM , Sport Nuts  Rock Hill,NY. 845-794-2000  hours 9AM-5PM , if the cold weather stays around might open earlier on weekends call before closing time on Fridays to get weekend hours.  Fur,Fin and Feathers Livingston Manor,NY. 845-439-4476 hours 9 AM-5PM  may also open earlier on weekends .the shop owner is older if making a trip between Mon.-Fri. call first to make sure the shop is open if Winter business is slow he maybe closed some days .

Enjoy , be safe a good ice fishing season to all.
Steve

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
so ill start the debate how close is to close for some1 to set up next to you on the ice when your running tip-ups?

Outside the tip up spread is fine by me. But seriously, a Sunday with 50+ guys out a public lake on the most popular spot... what do you expect?

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
I agree with rather b fishing. A minimum of 200' from there furthest tip up from there camp. But everyone knows your lucky to get 30-40 pacies. During a contest.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I spread my own tip ups 40 -50 feet apart when I set up. If that's good enough for me then good enough for others fishing a popular spot. Heck, when jigging inside my shanty with a buddy we use 2 holes side by side and never have a problem. Only once in all my years have I had a runner that came close to spooling me and got tangled in another guys set. Not my fault nor his so you just move on and get over the little stuff. I think in very deep water lakes and if fishing for large fish it might be better to spread it out farther to avoid tangles but not necessary here in our mostly shallow water lakes and ponds where a 3 pound fish might be the exception rather than the rule.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
had a guy jigging 6 feet from one of my tip-up didnt bother me just curious. close to 100 people on the lake yesterday so its  bound to happen

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
Kbaez. I don’t fish around here on weekends just for that reason. I’ll go up north.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Looks like early reports are a major snow storm the 19th-21stish granted its still 5 days out but not what we need.... hopefully they are completely wrong

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
ways out yet ...I will take 6 inches ..enough for dragging .

https://weather.us/model-charts

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ways out yet ...I will take 6 inches ..enough for dragging .

https://weather.us/model-charts

I would rather see a solid 6 inches of ice all around with no open water long before we get any snow.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone have info on binnewater lake and onteora lake in Ulster county or kiamesha lake in Sullivan? Never fished any of these lakes but I’m looking too this weekend

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

Good weekend up at N/S Lake. 10". Saturday was slow, my friend and I only managed 5 short picks, a small largemouth, one yellow & a pumpkinseed. Lots of marks but not feeding. Yesterday was the opposite with plenty of active yellows & seeds, short picks & this good 22"er (thanks for the pic Dave!). Saw plenty of nice largemouth pulled up yesterday as well.

Checked Chodikee & Berean Park in Highland last night and only 2.5". Will check Louisa on Wednesday.

If anyone has any specific safe bodies of water to report in Ulster/Sullivan County, please feel free to post or PM me.

Gino

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Devanaugh, up near Highland Lake does contain Trout but the Homeowners Association does not allow you to keep any.....all must be released.  My buddy and I pulled about 20 of them thru the ice in three hours last year.

Does anyone know if there's walkable ice on White Pond in Putnam ???

Just got back from checking White Pond.  I measured 1.5" at the dock.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB, where did you see close to 100 other fisherman? Was there a contest? Never experienced that.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular

Good weekend up at N/S Lake. 10". Saturday was slow, my friend and I only managed 5 short picks, a small largemouth, one yellow & a pumpkinseed. Lots of marks but not feeding. Yesterday was the opposite with plenty of active yellows & seeds, short picks & this good 22"er (thanks for the pic Dave!). Saw plenty of nice largemouth pulled up yesterday as well.

Checked Chodikee & Berean Park in Highland last night and only 2.5". Will check Louisa on Wednesday.

If anyone has any specific safe bodies of water to report in Ulster/Sullivan County, please feel free to post or PM me.

Gino
what lake is N/S lake

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB, where did you see close to 100 other fisherman? Was there a contest? Never experienced that.
superior and no contest

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was there and we thought there was a tournament at the north end, never saw so many guys up there.
We fished towards the south end off the boat launch, plenty of action but everything was on the small side. It was a beautiful day to be out.
Measured 5 3/4" of ice.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
North-South Lake in Greene County.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.