Author Topic: Bait for Bluegill  (Read 6124 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Bait for Bluegill
« on: Jan 18, 2003, 03:13 PM »
I went fishin today and saw several 5-8 inch blugill.  I caught only 3 of several bluegill.  I used a orange size 12 jig at first but changed to a dark purple one cause I think the orange was spooking them.  I used mousies and they would come up close but then turn away, i used wigglers and got three but others wouldn't even stop they just kept swimmin.  I had 2 lb test.  6 feet of water.  I jigged the bait inch-2 inche intervals.  Then when they came close, i lifted it or lowered it to there depth then i either jigged it slowly and lighty or just let it sit still.  What was i doin wrong?
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
Re: Bait for Bluegill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2003, 04:35 PM »
i think they smelt you... phew man i had the same problem where were you fishing?

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2003, 07:43 AM »
In the same shack as you.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2003, 08:22 AM »
Everyone has had days like that,you might go back the next day or so and kill em..Ya just never know.....It just happens...

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2003, 12:34 PM »
wiggle ur worm in the water they go wild

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2003, 05:33 AM »
if your fishing gills and they bite real light but can never hook them try raising the bait 2-3 feet with 2-3 jiggles and then let it drop back down to where u were and they ussually bite every time works great for me
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:50 AM »
i had a similar problem like you had yesterday. i found that jigging the bait attracted the fish, then jigging very slowly up one foot. then i would let the bait sit, and the gills would nail it. the fish i were after seemed to be un-interested in any presentation that i could think of. my vexilar assured me of that. anyway, bringing the bait up a foot with subtle jigging motions and then pausing really worked well.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

trapdaddy21

Re:Bait for Bluegill
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:19 PM »
lets face it, fish don't always bite. anyone who has a vex knows that the fish can seem interested, but choose not to bite. as a fisherman you just need to understand that there are good and bad days to fishing, but when the days are good you seem to forget about the bad days. my grandfather always told me when i was a kid, "thats why its fishin, and not catchin"

Offline geter_done

• IceShanty Rookie
  • git-r-dun
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2004, 09:56 PM »
ok i have a family pond that is stocked with bass bluegill and crappie but all ive ever seen outta there is a 9" bass through the ice....but it is STOCKED! i havent seen anything come outta there other than that...i tried the egg shell trick and everything what could be the problem?

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ >:( >:( ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
.........the taste outlasts the cold anyday.......

peple of the perch

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2004, 10:06 PM »
whats the egg shell trick

nuke1neil

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:30 PM »
Save some eggshells,take them along fishing.Then you crush them up and drop them in your hole.They fall down and some times will attract the fish and keep them in the area.I've used ritz crackers before,and heard of people using cooked white rice.I would use them after I caught a few gills and they slacked off.If you put them down a hole without catching any first,you might not have any fish in the area to attract.Also I would rinse them out at home so it's not as messy.

Offline perch pirate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Try a Hali jig size 35 perch color. Tip it with a spike or two. They can't resist it.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2004, 09:07 AM »

SPIKES  1  2  3  on the hook its up to the fish.

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:20 PM »
i was sight fishing in 8 fow and could see big blue gills (9 to 11 inchers)swim up to my jig & wax worm and no matter what i did they would swim off.i tried smaller jigs ,different colors and switched to spikes&mousies-no matter what i did couldnt get em to bite-as a last resort i tied on just a small plain hook with 2lb test leader and hooked a wax worm so just the hook point stuck out-it took forever for the bait to sink ,but after it did i swam the wax worm up a couple feet  and let it sink o so slowly and an 10 incher swam up and sucked it in-ended up with a dozen of the biggest gills i ever landed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.