Author Topic: Nero Mini Auger  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nero Mini Auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:30 PM »
 Yep. 7"  We both learned how to get through the bottom of the hole with trial and error. Lighter pressure works good.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I might have to get the Clam Plate, it looked pretty good.
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:35 PM »
 I attached a closeup pic of the Clam Plate setup with Clam adjustable extension. No wobble.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Didn't the Extension that comes with the Auger work?
<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Didn't the Extension that comes with the Auger work?

Yes and no. The extension that comes with the Nero kit will not fit the Clam plate shaft by itself. If you use the metal sleeve from the kit (the gray one with two bolts), it will allow you to hook the Nero extension to the Clam Plate shaft, but it is a really sloppy fit. It would induce quite a bit of wobble, but you could wrap the shaft with some tape or use a piece of copper pipe to minimize the loose fit. I already had the Clam extension which fits the Clam plate shaft like a glove.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Thanks, good thing to know if I ever go with the Clam plate.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Aqualift, I sent you a Pm but will ask it again here. In your video do you have the calm Extension all the way out? And did you have to use an Adapter also to fit the clam plate? If you did what one did you get? The Eskimo one?
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:34 PM »
  Here is my Nero with the Clam Plate. It makes a clean cut at the bottom of the hole. I just back off a bit before it breaks through and no grabbing takes place. 

Sorry for the blurry video, I didn't realize that the lens had a smudge on it.

Blury video, and not a ton of ice, but man, I can tell that thing flies through the ice... Certainly way faster than any Kdrill on any brand drill..

Nice setup!

<°)))>{

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:39 AM »
 Yea, after another week of use, I'm really happy with this setup. (fastest I've ever owned) I think the ice in that video was around 8 inches.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Made a plate for my Nero today. It is made out of an old Truck bed liner. 8" round. The bungee is just so I don't have to bend over and pick the auger up if it does come off the chuck. The Bed Liner is very heavy duty but light weight. I did this so I could eliminate the extra handle the Nero came with. Never did like it.

<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:40 PM »
That'll do the trick Lefty...

No offense, but it looks cumbersome, if you have time, or get bored...

You might want to consider a simple block of oak, make it so it can freely spin... It just needs to be a little wider than the hole... When trying to pack it up, it saves space, the wood can turn to lay flat on something...

Like to one in the middle in this picture..

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Really not in the way at all and it spins freely with it on there.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Might want to extend the extension another hole, unless u like to use your back, much more comfortable, like using a power auger!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Might want to extend the extension another hole, unless u like to use your back, much more comfortable, like using a power auger!
I guess you are referring to Aqualift's video. Looks like it would be better.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:25 PM »
I guess you are referring to Aqualift's video. Looks like it would be better.
.     Yeah, be easier on the back, I think !!

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:39 PM »
  Yea, I normally extend it out. I keep it in the most compact setting for transport in my sled and I left it that way for the video demonstration.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Year end review. After around 400 holes the blades got dull enough to shut off the drill several times. Last 100 holes were through 16" of ice. I thought the blade felt sharp but after changing them out, out on the ice yesterday I was able to shoot through the 16" in 6 Seconds flat and the drill never once shut off after 6 more holes. It had been shutting off 2 or 3 times per hole before changing the blades. But I have to say, even though it was shutting off the drill I was still drilling though the 16" faster than the gas augers out there. Glad I bought 2 extra sets of blades. I brought in the used set last night and I think I got them sharp again. There is a curve to these blades so it is a little harder sharpening them than it wast he Eskimo Quantum blades I used to sharpen. Next time out I will have a better idea if these are sharp or not. Still happier with the Ridgid Drill and Nero Mini than I was with the Eskimo Z51 which was a great machine. I can carry the auger ,Fish finder,Scoop, Pole and bait around to scout out other sections of the lake. Before I could carry the Z51 and then go back for the other things.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:44 AM »
so do you wish you had bought the smaller diameter version of it in hind site?
7 3/8 is a big hole for a 700 inch pound drill.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Yes I kinda do. I will most likely buy the 6" next year if they are still selling them. I do think they will be around a long time. Very good Drill. What I would like to find is just the 6"auger without the handle and extension.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:03 AM »
i thought i heard of them revamping it for next season.
are the blades soft (china made) is that why they went dull so fast?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:07 AM »
i thought i heard of them revamping it for next season.
are the blades soft (china made) is that why they went dull so fast?
Don't think they are soft it took some doing to get them sharp again with more pressure on the stone than doing the Eskimo(China)blades. On the Eskimo blades I would mark the cutting edge with a Marker and then just take off the marker with the stone. Not too much work on them. But these took a lot more work just to get the marker off. Like I said I will have to try out these resharpened blades to know if they are good or not. Might not get out again this year. Got too many Yard items that need done.
<===Lefty===

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Yes I kinda do. I will most likely buy the 6" next year if they are still selling them. I do think they will be around a long time. Very good Drill. What I would like to find is just the 6"auger without the handle and extension.

Satisfied with the rigid or wish u would’ve went Milwaukee? I bought a ridgid last week and haven’t got out o use it. I think I’m going with the Nero setup as well with clam plate. I’ll have to re check the 6” though

Why don’t u want the extension?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:22 AM »
Thanks for all the info and reviews Lefty!!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:26 AM »
Satisfied with the rigid or wish u would’ve went Milwaukee? I bought a ridgid last week and haven’t got out o use it. I think I’m going with the Nero setup as well with clam plate. I’ll have to re check the 6” though

Why don’t u want the extension?
I have the extension from buying the 7". So there is no use for another one. If I can just get the 6" auger I will. I emailed Htice. and asked if it is possible. Waiting to hear back from them. As for the Ridgid ,it has worked fine for me. I would rather it shut down when the battery gets hot than to have it explode on me. When my blade got dull it did that. I had bought 2 extra sets of blades when I bought the auger so I am good with that. I think I got the first set of blades sharp now.

On a side note, I took the extension off and tried to fit it on my Eskimo Silvertip. It fits perfect.  I will try that auger out as well. it is a 6".
<===Lefty===

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:41 AM »
That'll do the trick Lefty...

No offense, but it looks cumbersome, if you have time, or get bored...

You might want to consider a simple block of oak, make it so it can freely spin... It just needs to be a little wider than the hole... When trying to pack it up, it saves space, the wood can turn to lay flat on something...

Like to one in the middle in this picture..

<°)))>{

Interesting! My first ' auger saver' was a piece of wood like that. I posted it on another site and got a couple of disparaging comments so I didn't bother posting it again or elsewhere. Then I found a metal pot lid or similar and made 1 from that. I switched back to hand drilling shortly afterward when I recognized the danger of wrist injury. I'll be looking for a Clam plate, or maybe doing a DIY version for next year.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:52 AM »
I actually like the piece of Truck bed liner I used. Works great and isn't in any way in my way. Spins freely also.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.