Author Topic: what brand of shanty  (Read 1271 times)

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
what brand of shanty
« on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:36 PM »
What brand of shanty is everyone using in Idaho? I know a quick move is key to success alot of days and we also have to put up with some wind. Last year I fished out of a really nice 2 man that had the built in seats and sled. It was slick. I have 2 boys that will fish with me so I need at least a 3 man and I don't know about the weight of a 3 man with the seats and sled built in especially if I am fishing alone.
What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it. I see alot of people without a shanty but I know I can stay out all day in comfort in one and I guess I'm just not tough enough to fish without one. ;D

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: what brand of shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:47 PM »
look up an eastman outfitters ice cube. they have a 2 man and a 4 man portable. i have a 2 man that sets up in about a minute. it folds down and stows inside a waterproof bag with shoulder straps to wear on yer back. comes with cleats that screw into the ice, an open floor. 2 windows that zip up and can be removed. and a vent in the roof. i've never had a problem with the ice on the floor turning to slush. i make sure the skirt is pulled out from the inside and usually shovel or kick a few inches of snow on it all the way around. this helps with heat, and also to keep the shack in place with high winds. most of the time i don't even have to heat it, but on cold cold days a coleman camp stove does the job just fine. hope this helps!
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Hi Matt,
Been fishing yet?  I went out today for the first time.  -22 when I hit the ice.  That's just too cold to move around in to find fish.  I didn't mark any fish with the vex and after an hour bagged it.  I don't know the reservoir here yet, so I didn't even know where to head for deeper water or structure because it isn't evident by looking at the shoreline, ect.  Once I figure it out it'll be dynomite though.

My shanty is the fishtrap guid by Clam Corp.  I've honestly got nothing bad to say about it at all and most guys who have um love um.  With the boys you'll obviosly need something bigger.  I don't think anyone makes a better shanty that Clam Corp, especailly their sled units.  They make a new version of mine with a bench seat, that could fit ya'll, but it would be a little tight.  They make a little bigger version, the voyager, that's a 3 person.  Also they make some 'in-between' models that have a new seating system where you can add a 3rd seat, kinda like a jump-seat deal.  That might work slick.  Course, they are't cheap either!  Probably $400 or so. 

There are lots of shanties out there, some of the less portable ones are a lot cheaper.  They aren't as easy to set up, but also don't cost a ton either.  Its hard to justify a $400-500 shanty that you use 3-4 times/year.
Do some searches on the shanty page on here, there are lots of threads, ect.

Hope you had a good duck season.  Mine was so-so.  Takes a while to learn new areas, ect.

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:53 PM »
I'm already missing spending days on the ice with ya Ben!! I'm really looking forward to getting out but there are still a couple ducks around begging to be kilt. Been a crappy year here but there are some shoots lately on the river.
Good luck finding the fish!! I'm sure you will get er figured out!
ps, want to buy a dog? :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.