Author Topic: ITS OFF!!  (Read 3738 times)

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
ITS OFF!!
« on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:21 PM »
well it was here and we lost it!
today...
we had 5.... as of last night it was 4"
after today, well jigmup can tell ya....
i just checked and its not good!  rain all day and the temps...UGH
my little lake is down to 2' of clear and maybe 1" of crud.  i went out 30 yds and when my dog ran by me i thought we were both going in!  im 175 and pups 120#....
and add to to
there is at least 1-2" of water on top...rather ugly.

all i am saying is if your headed north east for the weekend it is not what it was.  were all big boys and girls, and im not the sky is falling kind of guy
however,  i will be doing some inside projects this weekend. ( brownie points) and those that know me know ill push it. but this ice went as fast as i have ever seen it.  im on a lake with almost no flow and like that....

IM OFF!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ITS OFF!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Yeah unfortunately I dont have time to get out until weekends and it seems the weather tends to destroy any plans I have to get out on the ice when I have the time.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Then everything was wet!!!!

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Nice looking dog there roe.... should put a rod in his mouth and have him jig for ya out there.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:34 PM »
I got very uncomfortable in a hurry. She was flexing and bouncing water and I asked myself; What in the he11 am I doing out here?

Really appreciate the invite Aaron! Next time we will make them pay!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Boys, Boys, Boys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It ain't worth it!!!!!! Take it from an old boy that went in 30 some years ago and lived to tell about it. Had 4"of solid ice,, by myself, was in water for 1hr and 30 minutes and some young man sent from God worked a 10' pram out to where I was and got me in the boat!! Should have died in the water, on the shore, in the ambulance, in the hospital ----- just wasn't my time!!!!!My  temperture was 87 degrees in ambulance!
Consider your loved ones and friends when you're pushing the envelope. If you are gone, how will it affect them???
Just say'in--------
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Well put Teach! No fish is worth risking your life. If we don't get out much or any this year, there's always next year. Later Hex

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Boys, Boys, Boys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It ain't worth it!!!!!! Take it from an old boy that went in 30 some years ago and lived to tell abpout it. Had 4"of solid ice,, by myself, was in water for 1hr and 30 minutes and some young man sent from God worked a 10' pram out to where I was and got me in the boat!! Should have died in the water, on the shore, in the ambulance, in the hospital ----- just wasn't my time!!!!!My  temperture was 87 degrees in ambulance!
Consider your loved ones and friends when you're pushing the envelope. If you are gone, how will it affect them???
Just say'in--------
Teach

Keep preaching....
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Looks like no icefishing for allot of us this year. Can't remember exact year, maybe 15-20 yrs ago,  but last time I remember not iceing in Ind was when me and my brother drove north until we found good ice, finally found some in Michigan.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Snowing here now and they've inched the extended forecast back down to freezing at night along the border.   Maybe all will not be lost.  Thought it was going to be another couple weeks, maybe not.  Float suit,  picks,  whistle, throw bag, spud, change of clothes in truck, don't fish alone, check check check!

Try not to do anything silly but fish if you feel "safe".  We all know it's never safe, you're still walking on water.

Sure am glad you made it out Teach!  You get on the Slough yet?  I need to get over there and try it once before they drain it again, never been.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Never fished it before but will be heading that way next weekend if I dont have to work. Buddy of mine lives out in Lafayette and has always wanted to ice fish. Hope to finally test out some stuff I got for this year.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Never fished it before but will be heading that way next weekend if I dont have to work. Buddy of mine lives out in Lafayette and has always wanted to ice fish. Hope to finally test out some stuff I got for this year.

Better bring a boat

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:28 PM »
i walked  out just to see and followed jigmup's tracks...
went thru twice . lucky it was close to shore and knee deep and a hard gravel bottom. 
but it looked good lol!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:58 PM »
"It looked good"! ;D

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:18 PM »
Well put Teach! No fish is worth risking your life. If we don't get out much or any this year, there's always next year. Later Hex

I think I heard that last year too.  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:28 AM »
"No fish is worth risking your life for "! With conditions like we have now, those are words to live by, and if not you might not be here next year to hear them again! Just saying be very careful out there! Hex

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:52 AM »
THE SPRING BITE WILL BE HERE SOON ENOUGH. SOONER THAN LAST YEAR. THINK I WILL JUST WAIT.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Roe, Haven't been and looks like it will be from "The Old Green Fishin Machine when I do go!!!
Do have trip planned in March. Buddy has a place on Leech Lake. If conditions aren't good, too much snow,etc., going on up to Lake Of The Woods and get a Sleeper Shack for a few days. Have never done it but Buddy did last year and said ,"Have To Do It'! Sauger and walleyes!!!! ::) ::) ::)
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Never been in a Sleeper shack before but it sounds like it would be fun.  I'm a little ADHD so if I wasn't catching I would have to bust out and start drilling!

Heard they are still on the Slough, must be that no one worries about drowning in that shallow water?!

Maybe things will tighten and thicken up soon.

Good luck when you go north, have a safe trip!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Slough had several people out yesterday. 2 1/2 to 3" of clear ice where I checked. I heard of up to 3 1/2" but I didn't find that.  I'm going to wait a couple days and see if it tightens up before I try.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Too many times ice was good getting on but went south before coming off. This old bird has swam one too many times.

You got to know when to fold 'em.

Maybe Jack Frost sneaks a late one. Maybe not.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:43 AM »
i got adventurous last night...spud went straight thru 3".
tried off the neighbors pier...found 2" of good with 2" of crap ontop.  the weight of all the water and slush is pushing it down and its coming off from the bottom.  looks the same on top and actually tightened up.  but that's not where its coming off.  made it out 20' and then better judgement kicked in.
and just for reference i have about 40 yards of 1 foot deep hard gravel bottom in front of my place.  so if i were to go in its usually just wet boots.  i'm not doing this stuff over 20' of water.
i'm only a partial idiot not a full one!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Hopefully these nighttime temps will get it going the right way.  Those of you still fishing be careful and stay safe!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I've had some guys over on and off at the pond the last few days. Unfortunately limited access except for near the pier can make fishing slow. One guy left with 10 rainbows up to 15 inches yesterday but he fished most of the day. The trick was to fish close to the shore on one side of the pond as the trout apparently circle the pond at that distance from shore.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2020, 11:18 AM »
A trout racetrack,  interesting!  Maybe you should get a camera on that action.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2020, 11:24 AM »
A trout racetrack,  interesting!  Maybe you should get a camera on that action.

Sounds like we should be betting on them... ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:15 PM »
If Taxi can get them numbered I'm in!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Like Greyhounds.... except edible   

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:27 PM »
Ha Ha you guys are too funny!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:24 AM »
or just tag one....
5.00 for any who want to jump in the pot.  when caught they get 1/2 the pot , re tag and start over!
just saying all that fish food cant be free lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.