Author Topic: ? about homemade depth finder  (Read 1775 times)

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
? about homemade depth finder
« on: Oct 14, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Hi all,  I'm going to be making a homemade depth finder from a $100 eagle setup i'm pulling off my boat.  I'll be setting up the transducer on something similar to a tipup and am wondering which way I should point the transducer.  Should I point it down, or sideways like on the back of a boat.  THanks, Mike
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
Re: ? about homemade depth finder
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2006, 03:16 AM »
Hi all,  I'm going to be making a homemade depth finder from a $100 eagle setup I'm pulling off my boat.  I'll be setting up the transducer on something similar to a tipup and am wondering which way I should point the transducer.  Should I point it down, or sideways like on the back of a boat.  THanks, Mike
I'm not sure what you mean by "sideways" but I took my old Eagle Silent Sixty 1 (SS1-WP) dual scale red line flasher and put it on one of the Vexilar el-cheapo bases. I ground off a better portion of the plastic that the transducer was molded into ( because it was a "skimmer type" that allows water to flow around it at higher speeds) and also so it didn't take up so much room in the ice hole. I then fed the transducer line up through a flexible-type  plastic conduit hose (kinda like on a "snake light") and sealed up the bottom where it goes into the water. I fastened the upper end to a PVC threaded nipple and drilled a hole in the side of the original mount bracket that came with the Eagle and used a thin brass nut to secure it so it wouldn't rust. I mounted the original bracket to the Vex base, clipped the battery wires and put the flat type connectors on so I could use it with one of the small 12 volt batteries like a Vex and it works great. I just set the unit onto the ice, bend and shove the trans. down into the hole and face it straight down, turn it on and fish. It works the same as it did when I used to use it on the boat.......WK ;)
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.