Author Topic: losing your rod  (Read 11344 times)

peple of the perch

losing your rod
« on: Feb 14, 2004, 07:54 PM »
 :( did anyone ever lose thier rod while fishing

Offline fisherman5s

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: losing your rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Yep, it happened once and i put a teather on my jigging rods and teather it to my chair.
it will not happen again.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2004, 12:23 PM »
i was burbot fishing the other night and i felt like i had a hit, so i reeled in some because my line was acting funny....my other rod was ten feet away and i heard it go down, so i set my rod down and my other rod was gone ???  so i reeled up my other rod and up comes the one i lost, but the fish that tangled me up had got off, well at least i got my rod back ;D

Reelinrolly

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:53 AM »
I was fishing on lakes simcoe before a derby and we were all chatting all of a sudden i look at where my rod was...except it wasnt' there...lol...so i went toa the hole...and in the water i saw my rod holder and my rod being pulled out of it....i put my arm down the hole to my shoulder.....it was a very cold day....and i was short one rod...lol...gotta good pick of it though...buddies make fun of me every time now

Reelinrolly

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2004, 11:54 PM »
yeah it sucked....but it will never happen again....live and learn...lol

BryanC

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:18 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAH ROLLY LOST HIS ROD ON LAKE SIMCOE, I REMEMBER THAT, IF ANYONE WNATS TO SEE THE PIC OF HIS FACE WHEN HE GETS HIS HAND OUT OF THE COLD WATER GIVE ME AN EMAIL. THAT WILL TEACH HIM THAT WHEN U DRINK ON THE ICE U STILL HAVE TO PAY ATTENITION TO YOUR RODS., LOL

Reelinrolly

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:23 PM »
lol,...that was a really cold day.....lol......won't happen again.....

Duskallunge

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:31 PM »
wow u have to have something really wrong with u to have your pole go through the hole without noticing it. Cause if u accualy are into jigging then the rod would never leave your sites, unless u pull the line out of the water.

Reelinrolly

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2004, 12:03 AM »
well obviously i was deadsticking....I think I would of noticed if my rod was pulled out of my hand...lol......I wasn't jigging...just answering to a post......lol....and hey...i wasn't that drunk.....was I????

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2004, 12:27 PM »
i've had fish about pull my rod out of my hand, (same night in fact), and i was jigging with one, and watching the other one...only thing was it was at night...i ended up pulling the rod through.  there is something really wrong with me i guess.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2004, 08:22 PM »
I have never lost a rod but caught an ice fishing rod that was made in the 70's-80's.  It is still in tact and I use it when jigging for lakers.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:07 AM »
hang my laker jig stike on the wall and the laker riped it of the nail and to the hole ah :(
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

slick50

« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:31 PM »
loveice what are you trying to say are you speaking english ???

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2004, 10:21 PM »
carp boy  ;D
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:36 PM »
I thought this was a pretty cool topic, and the answer is no for me.

I do have a funny story about how lethargic lakers are though. This happened to me last december icefishing taylor reservoir for lakers. I dropped my 3.5" tube with a bit of anchovy on it down about 2 ft. off the bottom in 50 ft. of water near an underwater hump. I set the pole down. I then had to take my portable down from about  2 miles away on the reservoir, and then I took 3 sleds to the truck. It took me over 1 and a half hours. Well, when I came back I noticed my rod had moved about 2 ft. from where I had set it, and I asked my brother how long ago it moved and he said about an hour ago. I picked up the rod and low and behold felt the added weight of a lake trout. I set the hook and was on! He was small, 4 lbs. or so but it still was funny. It especially makes me laugh when I read stories about lakers jerking rods out of people's hands, and then this one was on an unattended rod for an hour and he had only moved 2 ft. or so from the time he took in the bait. :P :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

NAD42

« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:36 PM »
I thought this was a pretty cool topic, and the answer is no for me.

I do have a funny story about how lethargic lakers are though. This happened to me last december icefishing taylor reservoir for lakers. I dropped my 3.5" tube with a bit of anchovy on it down about 2 ft. off the bottom in 50 ft. of water near an underwater hump. I set the pole down. I then had to take my portable down from about  2 miles away on the reservoir, and then I took 3 sleds to the truck. It took me over 1 and a half hours. Well, when I came back I noticed my rod had moved about 2 ft. from where I had set it, and I asked my brother how long ago it moved and he said about an hour ago. I picked up the rod and low and behold felt the added weight of a lake trout. I set the hook and was on! He was small, 4 lbs. or so but it still was funny. It especially makes me laugh when I read stories about lakers jerking rods out of people's hands, and then this one was on an unattended rod for an hour and he had only moved 2 ft. or so from the time he took in the bait. :P :D
this is in response: a few years back, I had a flag one morning,checked it, line was out about 2 feet, reset flag...about 6 hours later, went to pick up and this tip-up,noticed there was some added weight...about a minute later, a 28'' 6 pound laker came out of the hole after no fight at all...it was most definately the most lethargic laker that I have ever caught...maybe it was the 140' depth????..nice fish though.

Mr.G

« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Not lately - quite a while (10 years at least) ago was fishing on the Missouri rive by Ft. Thompson (SD) and noticed a rod missing - few minutes later caught a nice northern with my rod as well.   That taught me to keep the bail open when I am deadsticking - even if I am real close to the pole - you never know whats gonna happen..the joys of ice fishing  :)

hali-man

« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Never through the ice.
I did lose my $250 trout rig this spring on opening day.
I was crossing a waterfall, slipped, and it was the rod or me.
Obviously I let go!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Never ever let go of your rod!! ;)

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2004, 03:05 PM »
     Lost one about 15 years ago deadsticking for bluegill,  must have had a bass grab it while I was stoking the fire,  at least it was a homemade rod.  I saw a guy lose one last year,  you should have seen the dumbfounded look on his face,  he was standing right over it and could not react in time it was like he could'nt believe what was happening. lol
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2004, 04:41 PM »
when I was icefishing last sunday, I was fixing a tipup a few feet away from my ratso, which I had set down on my chair. I was fishing for big rainbows at vega and it was suspended in about 12 ft. of water. I was fixing up the tipup and I heard the sound of something moving against the material of the chair, looked up, and saw my rod being dragged toward the hole. I ran, picked up the rod just in time, set the hook, and caught about a 3 lb. rainbow trout. Now that is what I call dumb luck :P :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2004, 07:25 PM »
me and a buddy live for ice fishing. we go out every chance we get. one day he is setting beside me in the clam 6800 and gets a bite. we pretty much get into every fish we catch so he goes to set the hook power style by jumping out of his chair and gives a big hollar. well as he hollars and jumps the jiggin rod hits the side of the tent comes out of his hand and straight down the hole as he stares down the hole ill never forget that moment. it serves as a good story for years to come.

robman

« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:37 PM »
My friends and I are pretty cruel to each other when on our trips so we could not pass on taking ALL of our friends equipment when he fell asleep in his tent (probably from a little too much beverage the night before). After making a lot of noise (he was snoring), we threw snowballs at his tent until he woke up up.....pause...."what the F***"....yells....he storms out of his tent and manages to trip over a hole and land flat on his face.....he was sooooo mad he walked back to the cabin and pissed in his friends thermos. At least he lost enough in poker to pay for a new one......personally, I purchased a new toothbrush in town just in case. He never did get his favorite "lunker rod back" and has not won a fishing bet since.

Not sure if this counts but thought it was funny....can't tell my wife cause whatever happens up there stays up there.... :-X.

---ThinIce---

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Yep lost a rod 2 ago. I had a large shiner on a heavy action rod in a rod holder,walked away for two minutes to drill another hole and when I went to go back to my bucket it was gone like the wind ???.TIP: Do not leave Rods Unattended!!!

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2004, 10:44 AM »
I "dropped" a jigging rod down a hole once...a long time ago when I was very young and very stupid.  My dad thought it would be a great idea to take me out, so we got up early in the morning (too early) and we went out fishing.  He gave me his best rod with his favorite jig and wished me luck (I was already an avid fisherman so I didn't need special treatment, but parents always want the best for their children).  Anyway, it was a very slow day and we weren't catching any fish so I started to do the head-bobbing thing as you drift off to sleep (admit it, you've all done that before on slow days).  Next thing I know...I feel the rod slip out of my hands and I snap to attention just in time to see the rod slip through the hole and down into the water.  Needless to say, Dad wasn't happy and I didn't fish the rest of the day.

On a separate occasion (years later) I was ice fishing with a group of friends on a local reservoir.  It was very cold, and very slow day and in order to keep our minnows active, we would check our tip-ups every 30-45 minutes.  On one of the routine checks, a friend had placed his jigging rod well away from the hole (approx. 3ft) while checking his rigs.  Ever here the sound of a reel scrapping against ice...it's not a sound you forget...we all turned our attention to witness the jigging rod race the distance and shoot down the hole.

Lesson Learn:

1.)  Never hold a fishing rod while in that drowsy state of semi-wakefullness and semi-sleepiness!!

2.)  Never leave the bail closed on a fishing rod when the rod is not securely held in your hand!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2004, 01:37 PM »
i used to bobber fish up on champlain for crappies, and have lost a few sticks that way, but by far the best was when one got pulled into the hole, and about 30 seconds later the nearest tip up goes off, on the end of it is a pickerel with a jig in its mouth that is attached to my previously lost bobber stick. 

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:42 AM »
last year deadstickin no tipups and no ice rods just my open water stuff second time out ever on the ice set the rod down to get a minnow for my other rod and had to yell at my brother to grab my first pole before it went in and that was only a 10" rainbow fought like a bear though wont ever happen again

Offline jtillman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:37 PM »
A couple of years ago on a fishing trip to Lake of the Woods, a buddy and I were videoing our weekend for the resort we were at for their website and promotional CD. Great weekend, we were catching fish left and right. Using two jigging rods, I just brought a walleye in and taking it off the hook I looked at my other rod/reel just in time to see it go down the hole. My buddy thought it was the funniest thing ever...I however saw no humor. So I was pouting pretty good for about ten minutes and my buddy had a good bite and told me to tape the catch and I gave him a few choice words and didn't record. He pulls the fish up and it's actually my own rod! We were high-fiving each other and I started to untangle the line when I realized there was still a fish on the other end....got that in and it was a nice 1.5 pound perch!!! Now only if I would have taped that! When we told the story to the manager and the guides at the resort, they just chuckled and said that happens a few times each year.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Lost one shore fishing at night.  D*mn carp!!!  Pulled the rod holder out of the ground and it was gone. D*mn Beer!!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I lost a cheapie several years ago and a week later I caught the northern that stole it and I got my jig back.  I repayed the favor by cutting him up and pickling him.   

I was fishing with some friends and I was using one of those cheap plastic rod and reels, the kind that had a button on the handle and when you pushed it the rod tip would go up and down.

I decided to make a beer run so I layed it on the bait bucket.  When I returned my buddies told me that a fish grabbed the baid and pulled the rod in.  The next week I was fishing the same general area and I caught a 2lb norther, the perfect eating size, and when I fillet'd him I noticed something hard in his belly.  When I cut it open I found my copper colored jig. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.