Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Black Hawk  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
Black Hawk
« on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Wanting to head up to Black Hawk lake in the next few weeks, targeting mainly panfish and maybe walleye, have never
fished this area. Is this area a good fishery or should I go on up to Spirit in which I have fished before, wanting to try a
new area. Wanted some of your local fellas opinions if you don't mind. Thanks a bunch!

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Black Hawk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:27 PM »
I'm in the same boat, looking for a place closer to home.  Can anyone tell me the area bait shop around Black Hawk for bait?
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Lots of bluegills with lots of sorting.  Crappies and perch to be had, once in awhile you'll get a nice one.  I've had limited success with walleyes through the ice.

Right now, much of the east basin is open water.  Fishing would be mostly limited to the 'town bay' area and around what's called Ice House Point and Shotgun Hill.  That's where most people fish anyway.  The same areas are consistently hit hard - getting away from the crowds may be beneficial.

There is a bait shop in town called The Dark Horse Haberdashery.  I have no idea what they carry for bait, though. Not a fan of the owner, so I don't go there.

If you're coming from the north, you could stop at Gone Fish'n in Storm Lake.  From the south, there is Sommerfeld Outfitters in Lidderdale.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Coming from the North. Thanks for the advice.
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I’ll be there Sunday. Haven’t ice fished there since 1994!!!! Should be interesting to say the least. Sucks it is open on east part of the lake! Good luck to everyone this weekend!!!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Fished here for a little over an hour with my boy.  Dink fest!  Then he dipped his leg in a hole, aaaannnd time to go home.

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Was out there Sunday afternoon. Marked fish constantly. Caught a ton of 6-7" perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.