Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clam plate  (Read 4515 times)

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
Clam plate
« on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Just curious of aome folks thoughts. I ordered a clam plate today to go on my 8 inch auger. My question is drill power. I have a makita with a 1/2 inch chuck that puts out 750 lbs torque. Its run by a 3.0 ah battery of which i have two. What kind of reaults should i wxpect?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam plate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Batteries should b 4 ah or better the drill is not in the top 3 of the ones used by IS members ..I think you nay be ok with ice up to 10 inches..after that you may be disappointed..but if it does well you should post your results for future members .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Appreciate the feedback. We shall see. I will keep you posted. Need ice first. Where did you see the list of the top three drills?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:53 PM »
May have to drop down to
A 5 or 6” auger.the drill has the minimum torque specs and the battery is to small to turn a 8”.top 3 drills are Milwaukee fuel 2804 with 5ah or better.ridgid octane with 9ah and dewalt 996 i believe.i run the ridgid and 9ah with clam plate and 8” mora and it rips.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:54 PM »
You should be good using the plate. Mostly depends on what size auger you are pairing it with.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Your going to want a 5ah battery or larger. The torque is fine for a 6" idk about the 8", that could be pushing it.

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:01 PM »
The type of auger you have will play a factor. An aggressive chipper blades like on a k drill might be too much for your drill, but shaver blades may work. Like previously stated, post your results with your set up.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:08 PM »
Appreciate the feedback. We shall see. I will keep you posted. Need ice first. Where did you see the list of the top three drills?

Just familar with the workings of the site.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Since i dont have 300 plus to upgrade my drill for now and get 5 amp batteries, if i am reading this correctly, a smaller auger and upgraded battery for my drill my get me there?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Since i dont have 300 plus to upgrade my drill for now and get 5 amp batteries, if i am reading this correctly, a smaller auger and upgraded battery for my drill my get me there?

Start with what you have ..like my previous post stated you may be fine ..is the dtill brushless? What auger are you using ..Strikemaster? What kind of blades? A smaller auger drill unit would definitely  help.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2020, 12:14 AM »
Its a maketa lxph01. Brushlesz, 750 lbs torque. I have an 8 inch eskimo auger with lazer eyea. Thinking of getting strikemaster lazer 6 inch auger to take on mext trip. If the maketa can handle the 8 inch then just return the 6 inch strikemaster. But if it cant do the 8 inch o will have the smaller auger on hand

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:21 AM »
If you have Makita charger and battery, you can get a XPH07Z which has 1090 lb torque.for 149.00 bare tool. It is being sold on Amazon. I had the battery and charger for another tool and got this drill for my ice set up. It is a nice one.
Keep it safe! JDL

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:25 AM »
Well I just researched your drill ..it does not appear to be brushless with out a side handle..that would make drilling ice a challange ..lots of potental for a BAD wrist injury..there is a lot of tried and tested cordless drill and auger unit combos ..a underpowered drill and/or low ah batteties will eventually fail . The absence of a side handle has me more concerned then the 3ah  batteries. What your looking for is a brushless side handled drill with 750 in/lbs of torque and 4 plus ah batteries .

Whats the average ice thickness you plan on cutting?

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LXPH01

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Its a maketa lxph01. Brushlesz, 750 lbs torque. I have an 8 inch eskimo auger with lazer eyea. Thinking of getting strikemaster lazer 6 inch auger to take on mext trip. If the maketa can handle the 8 inch then just return the 6 inch strikemaster. But if it cant do the 8 inch o will have the smaller auger on hand

You should be fine, and be able to use the 8in Eskimo curved blade. Heck you could probably buy a set of 7in lazer blades to put on that 8in Eskimo auger to make it a 7in auger. That way it would cut a bit easier, no need for you to get or drop to a 6in. The 3ah batteries might be ok, or might give you a bit of problems......try them..........if they give you problems.......try to get 5ah batteries or better.

I originally had the first Milwaukee drill that was offered/used. It was a brushless 725in/lbs of torque and was recommended for the k drill which is 7.5in. My 725in/lb drill ran a 7in lazer, and an 8in nils in 2 ft of ice on 4 ah batteries and would get 30holes with a little battery left.

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:11 AM »
He stated he ordered a clam plate for his drill. I think you have a good plan. You shouldn’t have any issues with a 6 inch based on your drills specs. Rule of thumb I’ve seen is 100 in/lb of torque per inch of auger, 4ah batteries or greater, brushless.

However, If your drill is brushed, and you’re constantly drilling through thick ice I’d be worried about burning out the drill. Like gillhunter said, perhaps you’re money is better off going toward that upgraded makita. It all depends on your situation. Best of luck

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Well i normally fish Icaria, Anita, Manawa so i dont think it would see more than ten inches of ice. Wspecially this year. Now, for chasing yellow bass at clear lake? I know i will need to upgrade for that. When i do fish on icaria and such im really only punching a few holes. I would guess 5-7. I have my spots i like on those lakes so theres not a lot of wandering around finding the fish. Mainly get to my spots and setup

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Another IS member waterlike ordered this drill..not certain what he is getting as the product description and pictures are not in sync ..maybe PM him ..thats a decent price and worth consideration ..itll up your drill and battery game in one shot

https://www.ruralking.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-18-volt-lithium-ion-brushless-cordless-1-2-inch-drill-driver-kit-2703-22

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Well i normally fish Icaria, Anita, Manawa so i dont think it would see more than ten inches of ice. Wspecially this year. Now, for chasing yellow bass at clear lake? I know i will need to upgrade for that. When i do fish on icaria and such im really only punching a few holes. I would guess 5-7. I have my spots i like on those lakes so theres not a lot of wandering around finding the fish. Mainly get to my spots and setup

Your over thinking all this. Your drill will work even on an 8in. You just might need a bigger battery pack.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I did pickup a 6 inch strikemaster lazer auger. Im gonna roll with that on the clamplate with the maketa with 2 3ah batteries for now and see how that works.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:59 AM »
I did pickup a 6 inch strikemaster lazer auger. Im gonna roll with that on the clamplate with the maketa with 2 3ah batteries for now and see how that works.

Clam Plate is a great investment good luck with your set up ..repirt back with your results . Oh and welcome to the cordless drill game

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Great for you! Bet it will work out great for you!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2020, 12:23 PM »
sent you a PM

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Sweet! Found  a 5 amp battery online for the maketa! So i think now im really set!

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Got my clam plate all setup! Its killin me just sitting there. Might have to try it on my horsetank with water in it this weekend!

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:41 AM »
The size of battery...3amh, 5amh, 9amh has nothing to do with drill performance.  A 3amh battery will drill as good of a hole as a 9amh battery.  The difference is how long that particular battery will last, 3amh much less than a 9amh battery. 

Your setup will be just fine, just don't expect too many holes out of a 3amh battery.  An estimate would be 30 feet of ice with a 3amh battery. (of course a lot of variables in that estimate), 50 feet for 5amh etc.

Be safe and have fun!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Got my clam plate all setup! Its killin me just sitting there. Might have to try it on my horsetank with water in it this weekend!
where did you get the plate? Going back and forth about getting one.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:40 AM »
I had some amazon gift cards from work so i ordered it from there.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Finally get to try out the clam plate auger this weekend at the yellow bass bash. Will let you guys know how it does!

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:33 AM »
we are entered too. maybe see you there. sounds like its going to be a cold one on sunday! good luck!

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Yessir. We were jot planning on using a hut until we saw this forecast. As much as i want to run and gun im thinking the shack will be quite nice. Can always move shack too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.