Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lakes Denison/Carol area?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Bbushong

• IceShanty Rookie
Lakes Denison/Carol area?
« on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Looking for some help! My fiance is from the western side of the state and im looking for some good lakes to try ice fishing when we go out there for family weekends. Anyone from that area or know of any good spots to try? All my spots are on the eastern side of the state. Any help is appreciated!

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakes Denison/Carol area?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:21 AM »

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Plenty of good fishing around Carroll/Denison area. Swan Lake state park located just a couple miles SE of Carroll, Yellowsmoke Park just 2 miles East of Denison offers good to excellent bluegill fishing, Nelson's Park  located SW of Dow City also, plenty of area farm ponds also just ask permission, have fun! :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2019, 06:01 AM »
It's about a half hour drive, but Black Hawk Lake and Arrowhead Lake are located about 25 miles Northwest of Carroll.  Both offer good panfish action.  Arrowhead can be mighty tough at times.

Offline Bbushong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Sounds like there are some good options. I will do some checking around first ice and report back!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:42 PM »
Plenty of good fishing around Carroll/Denison area. Swan Lake state park located just a couple miles SE of Carroll, Yellowsmoke Park just 2 miles East of Denison offers good to excellent bluegill fishing, Nelson's Park  located SW of Dow City also, plenty of area farm ponds also just ask permission, have fun! :tipup:

I’m not sure I would put Swan Lake in this b

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2019, 12:38 PM »
I'll agree, I'd take Swan Lake off the list.  It's not that there aren't nice crappies and bluegills in there, but they run an aerator which effectively eliminates much of the prime areas that I'd like to fish in the winter.  I've tried there and caught a few small fish, but I quickly moved on to better options.

Offline HogBody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:20 AM »
My wife also has family in the denison/storm lake corridor. A lot of the smaller public ponds look like they are covered in spring holes on google maps, can anybody confirm the typical quality/safety of the ice around there? Nelson and willow look unfishable on the winter satellite pic, but they can be misleading also. Just looking to stay safe if i stop for an hour on my way to family functions here and there, thanks guys!

-HB
Life is for living.

-HB

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:56 AM »
I would bet nearly everywhere is good to go from Denison on up, especially after the next couple days with temps forecasted in the negatives or single digits.

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Fished yesterday by Denison 6+ inches of ice. Stay away from inlets and outlets. Still a lot of water running.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.