Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Great Lakes  (Read 9789 times)

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Iowa Great Lakes
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:14 PM »
If that is the Echo Red Armor, it is good stuff. All I use....

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Just got the Strikemaster back, went to cutting edge in milford. Very nice people and fast turn around,  new carb kit, fuel filter and canned gas,  77 and change. Guy there recommends the Echo brand don't know much about the stuff but if it keeps my 2 cycle stuff running better I'll try it. Not cheap 8 bucks a quart  but if I use 2-3 cans a year on my auger, chain saw and weed eater and no shop time, we'll worth it. Stopped at Stan's for new auger straps and the girl working said a Smart One went through on Big Spirit. Was driving around Big Stoney, can't fix idiots.  These lakes have not been frozen for a week.
Really? Were they in a pickup or on a four wheeler?

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2016, 04:38 AM »
Yes it's the red armor stuff, since I got it home can't keep the pos running, looks like another trip to milford. Not sure what the people were driving, I'd assume a vehicle because you can't fix stupid.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:02 AM »
I don't trust stoney point area even with two feet of ice. The boulders and current thru that area eat up the ice. A few people dump in there every year. Ice is ready 7-10 inches in all areas I drilled out. Some slush around some of the ramps. But just pin the throttle and hammer through it. Plan on fishing Spirit hard this weekend -25 temps and all. The otters will keep us nice and toasty.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2016, 04:56 PM »
What did the lakes area get for snow? By the looks of the cameras, more than enough. Hopefully the next few nights will make some good safe ice.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:20 AM »
unofficial 6" on west

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Official, not 6" on "WEST".

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:25 PM »
With fluffy snow and the wind, is there any snow on the lakes?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Quite a bit.......Drifting in of the ramps and what have ya... Id say 8-10 of snow..  Hoping for a little bit of melt to happen next week.

Offline DHV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:12 PM »
It was drifted pretty bad on big spirit today. Wasn't real fun pulling the shack today.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Any updates? I'm coming up this coming weekend for a weekend on the ice. Any general areas people are going to? Nothing specific, but just maybe a general area. Thanks guys!

Offline fall_waterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Whack 'em 'n' Stack 'em"
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:33 PM »
x2

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Keep an eye on Kabele's and Stan's facebook pages. Starting to see some pics of perch from Spirit and gills from West a little more.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:13 PM »
The gills have been on fire in Millers bay on West. People have been pulling out limits easily.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Emerson bay is real slow today. I've seen a few on my camera but they just back off. Not many people out and the fog is thick. Going to try out by Parks. Any one else having any luck?

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Just got back from a lake close to the IGL'S  area, 15 perch and 2 eyes. Lots of frickin idiots driving in this fog with no lights on,  maybe same ones who voted for the liar.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 24, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Just got back from a lake close to the IGL'S  area, 15 perch and 2 eyes. Lots of frickin idiots driving in this fog with no lights on,  maybe same ones who voted for the liar.

And your ending statement is constructive and relates to fishing how?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Huntindave,

Just pointing out how many dumb and stupid people there are driving around in the fog without  their lights on, pretty constructive to me. Couldn't hardly see 100 yds but the 4 year degree weather guesser's said the fog was supposed to burn off so I went fishing. I was only stating the facts which I believe are true. The comment on the liar was referring to the dumb and stupid people driving without their lights on are the same ones who voted for her (the liar). The comment has absolutely nothing to do with fishing, sorry if I hurt your feelings. Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:32 PM »
And your ending statement is constructive and relates to fishing how?

I try to avoid politics whenever possible but I had no idea who Bates was referring to as 'the liar'. If you believe either candidate (or any politician for that matter) is truthful, let me tell you about some prime swamp land I have for sale.

Stay safe on the ice with this upcoming rain and warm temps.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 25, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Sat through the rain wind and thunder all day on millers. We were like the only shack that was there for any time. It rained really hard for a while and made a pretty good mess of the ice on top. There's a ton of slush and the Tammy to millers is completely slush. Sank down a good 8 inches when leaving. Luckily we were on foot. Still only a good 4-6 inches there but lots of slush on top. Be safe, tight lines, and Merry Christmas!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I try to avoid politics whenever possible....

Yep, one of the rules you agree to when signing up is no political talk. Lets keep it on topic boys.

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Any ice up there yet?

Guessing Grade be close...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 11, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Okoboji webcams show that Smith Bay has a lot of ice on it, cant say if its completely frozen over. Plenty of places with safe ice by Saturday.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2019, 08:51 PM »
East is pretty much locked up. I can’t say West is completely locked up, but from the north end, it’s locked up as far as the eye can see. I would guess it’s completely locked. There will be plenty of fish able 4+ inch ice this weekend. Spirit has been locked all week, and I know there’s been folks out fishing it from the south end. Not sure on the North end, but I wouldn’t be afraid to spud my way out there. I’m going to spud out to an area on East that I’ve been waiting to get to. I imagine it’ll be fine.

It’s go time at the IGLs boys. Use caution. Bring a buddy and don’t go out without a spud bar! Be safe.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:14 AM »
I’m planning on going to boji 27th through the 1st if anyone wants to tag along. I’m bringing my Ice Auger Machine to try out!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I’m planning on going to boji 27th through the 1st if anyone wants to tag along. I’m bringing my Ice Auger Machine to try out!

We need a video of this epic trek and it should be put on "Post Your Ride."

Very curious on how you do with it. Do you have the Gas of Electric version of the Jiffy auger for power?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:56 PM »
What's the best way to access Angler's Bay on Spirit during ice fishing season before driveable ice (AKA parking and walking on)? Is there any place on the NE corner to park and walk on between Hales and Mini-Wakan?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Yes, There is public hunting in there, you could walk on somewhere. There used to be a road to the water but its gated now. Watch the signs and fences and it will be a short walk through grass or trees down to the water.

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 19, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Thanks, Seaguar. Appreciate the reply.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Headed out to Spirit tomorrow. Anyone have any tips on the bite? If anyone’s interested I’m planning on running the ice Auger machine this weekend! If you see me out come over and give ask for a ride!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.