Author Topic: Clamplate owners warning  (Read 7383 times)

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clamplate owners warning
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I ALWAYS cover my Nils auger immediately after completing my holes. Too dang shard to have them exposed.

I also remove the battery during transport because I don't think that the cover would stay on if the drill suddenly started while everything was packed in the folds of my Clam Flip-up. They would rip off and I would find shreds of something I would need to replace.

A couple of weeks ago barely brushed against my coverall with my Nils and put a nice clean rip like it was done by a razor blade.  I was shocked at how well it sliced without me really noticing it right away.  I will never leave it uncovered again had visions of stitches.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Happened to me once ..now take the battery off during transport .

yup
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2022, 07:56 AM »
Safety around ice augers is paramount to me. I’ve used a plastic sleeve and magnetic blade cover from icehogger.com for 15 years. Slipping on the ice and landing on an auger is too scary for me especially with  kids around.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Fishing with dogs and kids, I always have my auger covered, even between holes.  The easiest way to go is cold snap auger covers, no hands required.  I have them on all my augers, they work

https://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=98/mode=cat/cat98.htm

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2022, 03:41 PM »
Fishing with dogs and kids, I always have my auger covered, even between holes.  The easiest way to go is cold snap auger covers, no hands required.  I have them on all my augers, they work

https://www.coldsnapcover.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=98/mode=cat/cat98.htm

This looks great.  I hate the cover that came with my Lite Flite. PITA.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2022, 08:57 PM »

do you know if they fit the Mora Swedebore?  thx

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2022, 07:44 AM »
I put the trigger spring on my clamplate, it makes nearly impossible for that to happen also it will never get stuck in the "on" position. The whole assembly costs about 10 bucks.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2022, 07:47 AM »
do you know if they fit the Mora Swedebore?  thx

Not sure, they list quite a few on their web site.  Contact them

Offline Grandtourino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:13 AM »
I’m not sure exactly when clam updated their drill plate, but in what I can only assume is a response to many great forums and concerned people in the ice fishing community, clam now sells their clam plate with a return spring in the actuator. It’s great too see these companies listen to the voices of the people , good job clam 👍

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:05 AM »

OK, thx

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:05 AM »

OK, thx

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:40 AM »
I PUT A SPRING ON MY OLDER MODEL PLATE WHAT A IMPROVEMENT. ALSO GOING TO GET IN THE HABIT OF REMOVING BATTERY WHEN TRANSPORTING IN SLED TO DIFFERENT SPOTS.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2022, 11:17 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Glad to see Clam finally added the return spring to their trigger mechanism.  Anyone who has done this mod and used a clamplate with and without the return spring mod can appreciate the improved safety.

For me, I stopped using the Clamplate until last year.  I finally thought of a cheap trigger lock mechanism.  I drilled a small hole in the trigger linkage on the inside of the trigger linkage eyebolt.  I now have a cotter pin that slides into the hole and rests against the eyebolt.  This completely eliminates the possibility of the trigger being pulled.

I paired the clamplate head unit to an polymer edrill and used it quite a bit last year with no issues.

I also forwarded the information the Clam as well as a request for them to assemble and offer the return spring update kit to their web page so that people who purchased a regular clamplate can upgrade the trigger mechanism to the pro model.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2022, 05:47 AM »
EZPZ trigger modification with a castration ring

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.