Author Topic: Ice out  (Read 22070 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice out
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Back in the day, that was my dad’s place too...he and a friend would be gone all night in my dad’s friends’s thompson boatand they would return to Lawrence in the morning...between the mighty Mac and the Plum Island areas, they did well! By the mid 70’s my dad had his own boat (he bought a new White hull and built a small cabin on it, all mahogany) and we kids got to go. He would run the boat up the river out to the mouth and drift back as we drifted sea worms...schoolies were legal then and some great memories resulted from those nights! Some scary moments with that river but my dad managed those incoming swells like a pro. Very easy to make a mistake out there with dire consequences! Listening to your striper and salt experiences brings it all back!

the river was SO dirty... but the fishing was insane.. people were much nicer then, the boats were slower and their operators much more considerate..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:37 AM »
the river was SO dirty... but the fishing was insane.. people were much nicer then, the boats were slower and their operators much more considerate..

Yes...inconsiderate yahoos are the norm today...

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:54 AM »
You mentioned dirty water.
One of my fishing buddies was born and raised on the west side of Manchester.
He told me he could tell what color shoes they were making by  the color of the river.

Yikes

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Mar 06, 2020, 09:13 AM »
You mentioned dirty water.
One of my fishing buddies was born and raised on the west side of Manchester.
He told me he could tell what color shoes they were making by  the color of the river.

Yikes
Oh yeah, same with the wool mills, green, yellow,  red.. and that was'nt the worst part, the water had so much dissolved toilet paper that you had to clean it off your line every 6 to 10 casts.. your line always had a greasy film on it, and it stunk like a backed up sewer.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 06, 2020, 09:21 AM »
Sounds like the Souhegan river around New Ipswich/Greenville when I was kid... Warwick mills would have stuff draining into the river that made it practically glow in the dark...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #65 on: Mar 06, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Wow. Amazing Joe. How times have changed.
Just add water.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Thanks for the stories Roccus! I’m sure Mother Nature will get back there someday, but I’m also sure we will be long gone at that point. I still really enjoy hearing about the good ole days.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Oh yeah, same with the wool mills, green, yellow,  red.. and that was'nt the worst part, the water had so much dissolved toilet paper that you had to clean it off your line every 6 to 10 casts.. your line always had a greasy film on it, and it stunk like a backed up sewer.

You gotta be kidding me, that's nasty
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:18 AM »
You gotta be kidding me, that's nasty
Pretty nasty, but the fishing was good.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Definitely appreciate hearing the old salt stories! Joe, you're fortunate that you experienced as much as you have and still make the most of what's left. I happen to know that it's not all fun and games. A lot of work goes along with fishing the salt.
Stealth, you're lucky you're able to tell the story. The salt can be cruel and must be respected.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:22 AM »
It's sad, I got in just on the tail end of all of it..the pollock would come into the river in big schools like blue fish,you could see them on the top chasing sand eels, like a big black cloud, we used to huck 3 ounce cast masters and crank them as fast as we could, the hit was vicious, you know how they fight on a boat, imagine from the jetty fighting a 3 knot tide.., I was a teen ager at the time..by the time I was 20, the only pollock that visited the river were small harbor pollock..they used to go all the way to Joppa, they would stop at the tide rip in front of the duck blind on the west side just above the dike.. now even they are gone..

the cod fishing from the beach was over by the late 70's,. a lot of people  jigged the cod from tin boats, it slowed down in January and February, but was in full swing again by Easter

It lingered into the 80s although the fish were small and length limit was increased until nothing caught was legal.

I remember seeing guys fishing the shore inside the mouth by the old coast guard station in April with rope stringers full of eating size cod fish. I was a teenager and didn't try until a bit later (late 80s) when action and size were less impressive.
That was around the time schoolie bass first started showing up in catchable numbers in May. By that time pretty much all the cod were shorts.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Pretty nasty, but the fishing was good.

Especially for browns.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #72 on: Mar 09, 2020, 11:48 AM »
Took my bobhouse off of Newfound yesterday...sad day and way too early. Removed 3 bobhouses in total, loaded onto the trailers, tied down and sent home. Everyone is off the ice safely.

Not done ice fishing yet, will go out on open ice or portable if the wife is with me. Btw, season (Lake Trout) doesn't end till April 1st folks.

Started my season Nov 17th (early ice) and will keep going until no ice or cant get on with a homemade bridge. Haven't missed a weekend of fishing since i got onto ice and actually took more time off during the week due to ice conditions in order to get my time in (full season) due to poor ice conditions.

Cant believe some are wishing the ice away so early.....those are probably the ones "itching" to get onto (early) ice and then loose interest shortly afterwards?.....OCD?

Stay safe if you continue to ice fish, use your chisel. It's a must with the conditions.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 09, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Same here, been every week since we were safely able to... unfortunately lunches have been way better than the fishing.. bobhouse may come home Wed, then will continue to fish. just will shift to the portable grill. 
Took my bobhouse off of Newfound yesterday...sad day and way too early. Removed 3 bobhouses in total, loaded onto the trailers, tied down and sent home. Everyone is off the ice safely.

Not done ice fishing yet, will go out on open ice or portable if the wife is with me. Btw, season (Lake Trout) doesn't end till April 1st folks.

Started my season Nov 17th (early ice) and will keep going until no ice or cant get on with a homemade bridge. Haven't missed a weekend of fishing since i got onto ice and actually took more time off during the week due to ice conditions in order to get my time in (full season) due to poor ice conditions.

Cant believe some are wishing the ice away so early.....those are probably the ones "itching" to get onto (early) ice and then loose interest shortly afterwards?.....OCD?

Stay safe if you continue to ice fish, use your chisel. It's a must with the conditions.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 09, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Good to hear you're making the most of this season, Jiggin.  :tipup:
There's almost always some opportunity to  fish, here in NH if one really wants to.
quote]Btw, season (Lake Trout) doesn't end till April 1st folks.[/quote]
Think it ends the day before? Fortunately, open water season starts the first.  ;D You may be able to slide from one to the other this year?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Mar 09, 2020, 01:31 PM »
You got that right Mike! It’s the same fools catching concrete jungle liver pellet powered trout first ice chomping at the bit posting non stop thennnnn those fish get caught and you haveto actually know how to fish and they leave lollll jokers. The killer is they think they’re heroes when most with knowledge haven’t tried yet or just hit it hard and end hard like most left on here

Prove me wrong!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #76 on: Mar 09, 2020, 01:59 PM »
You got that right Mike! It’s the same fools catching concrete jungle liver pellet powered trout first ice chomping at the bit posting non stop thennnnn those fish get caught and you haveto actually know how to fish and they leave lollll jokers. The killer is they think they’re heroes when most with knowledge haven’t tried yet or just hit it hard and end hard like most left on here

Prove me wrong!

:bow:

Just add water.

Offline BIBBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 09, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Was in the Plymouth area on Saturday and was worried about getting on the ice. To my surprise when we got there we found 14+ inches of junky soft ice but frozen all the way around, access was perfect. Was thinking that would be my last trip of the year but after seeing that much ice keeping my fingers crossed I can get out this weekend too!!
"Commitment issues like a pressured crappie"

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 09, 2020, 04:36 PM »

Prove me wrong!

Concrete jungle liver pellets ROTFLMAO
.priceless

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:17 AM »
Sorry fellas but after taking the hound for a run around a completely open small pond in temple yesterday in a t-shirt it's tough to not start thinking about the boat and some top water blow ups... Maybe I'm in the clear though, I've never chased an early ice concrete jungle, liver pellet fed trout lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Mar 10, 2020, 10:03 AM »
I’m ready too, just sayin, I wasn’t antsy to start I just prefer the strong finish  ;)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Another slow day so far, only 1 white and a few smallies..plenty of corn

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Another slow day so far, only 1 white and a few smallies..plenty of corn

Joe is that a picture of your faceplant from yesterday?  ???

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #83 on: Mar 10, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Hahaha!

Just add water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Mar 10, 2020, 01:17 PM »
No, it’s actually my set drop imprint for safely getting back onto solid ice

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Mar 10, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Took a drive by Willand Pond today in Dover and it still had all of its ice.  Looked punky and decidedly unsafe but surprised to not see any open water.  Another week or two it will be gone, I'm sure. 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Mar 10, 2020, 02:47 PM »
Took a drive by Willand Pond today in Dover and it still had all of its ice.  Looked punky and decidedly unsafe but surprised to not see any open water.  Another week or two it will be gone, I'm sure.

This week I assume, it wouldn’t hold me at 1 pm today and all the seagulls back in the middle

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:08 PM »
This week I assume, it wouldn’t hold me at 1 pm today and all the seagulls back in the middle

I did see all those seagulls!   ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:16 PM »
I did see all those seagulls!   ;D

Lolll damn things!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:50 PM »
I didnt see it for myself but I saw a picture on facebook of massabesic in Auburn..all open..I had a awesome hardwater season, started week before xmas and fished at least 2 days a week until a week ago saturday I caught some nice fish this past season so no complaints here. I know I could still go but for me its time to get the Harley out and start get the boat ready for trolling..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.