Author Topic: Cabelas Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot/Saskatchewan Pac Boot  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has used these and how they liked them, thinking of picking up a pair. Also wondering what the sizing is like read on a few of the reviews get 2 sizes bigger, however I usually use size 12 and the biggest these boots come in are size 13, hoping I could get away with a 13?? It would also be a huge pain in the *** to ship back living where I do, so any info towards sizing would be great!

Thanks!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Cabelas Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I bought a pair this off season, so they have not hit the ice yet, but around the house and property they are great...they are huge, but lite weight, and very warm, I only went a half size bigger as they are warm enought that I dont need to layer the socks..hell i could probably go barefoot

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Like Icejunky I only ordered 1/2 size bigger.  One thing about Cabelas is they are great when it comes to fixing things.  When you get these boots you will look at them and think they are huge but they are very lite and comfortable.  The most important thing is they will keep your feet warm.
Travis

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:41 PM »
They're not too big are they?
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:59 AM »
They're not too big are they?

Nope! they're very comfortable. 1/2 size larger is fine. I wear polypro liners and a wool boot sock. I have 5 years on mine now. Great product.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cabelas Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot/Saskatchewan Pac Boot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Hey guys, changed the title as I just talked with a cabelas associate and he was saying that for icefishing a better choice would be the saskatchewan pac boot as gore tex(featured in saskatchewan pac boot) is more waterproof than dry plus(featured in trans alaska boot)..for 10 bucks more cant really go wrong, as long as he wasnt BS'in.

Just curious if anyone has put their trans alaska boot through some heavy slush and what the waterproofing is like on them.

now I'm not sure which pair of boot I should be getting  ;D ::)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Reading descriptions on Cabelas' site - they are rated equally and both 100% waterproof.  Can you get better than 100%?  ;D

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Thinking of getting a pair myself :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Trans Alaska boot  warmest boot I have owned (3.5 yrs.) Walked in water /slush on ice never a problem .Like RG said they look a lot heavier than they are. I studded mine with some self tapping sheetmetal screws .Very happy.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:44 PM »
I've stood in slush to my ankles all day in mine...even waded through open water at the shore to get on the ice....never a hint of a leak.

Studded mine the day they arrived.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I purchased these boots from Cabelas last year. They are awsome. I've only had 1 issue with leakage and that was when the ice had 10'' of slush, and that was standing in it for 3 days straight. They are a bit heavy but they are super warm. They have great ankle support. I've had a pair of Baffins that were warm as heck, but offered no support to your ankle and calf. I would recommend them to anyone. They're in the Bargain Cave right now. I wear a 10.5 shoe, so I got the 11's. I would recommend downsizing though. You don't have to wear heavy socks. Just a regular pair will do. Happy hunting.

La Crosse Extreme PFT

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Sold! My next purchase!  Thanks for the info guys.

Mack

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:50 PM »
I would definitely go Gore-Tex. There is a reason why it is the choice for high end clothing!!

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:45 AM »
gore-tex is just the brand name of the membrane, dry-plus and quite a few others are the same membrane by a different company
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2008, 11:01 PM »
I ended up getting the trans alaska III..used em a few times so far, and i love them. These boots are definitely the warmest I have ever owned. I have been wearing a thin pair of polypropolene socks on the bottom and some heavy merino wool socks over top and then this boot and its a pretty deadly combination.  ;D

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Sent for mine today 159.99 with free shipping,small price to pay for warm dry feet.Ill let you know what I think soon in a month or so,looks like they might see alot of action this year.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:13 AM »
mine have seen two outings so far this year, one outing was -25 and they held up extremly well, kept the water out as well as the cold...these will be added as one of my best purchases

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:19 AM »
had mine for four years. great boot. feet have never been cold in them. well worth the money.the only thing i'vehad to do is shoe goo the toe guard a little bit a couple of years ago.

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Ordered them on sat. got them on wen.,wore them yesterday in zero weather and put a few miles trudging through the snow on them and have to say I was very happy with there warmth and comfort right out of the box.Glad I bought these boots and would highly recommend them to any ice fisher.They appear to be built to last but only time will tell.GOOD LUCK...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.