The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Strangest Thing I Ever Saw Caught  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strangest Thing I Ever Saw Caught
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:27 PM »
We were fishing today on a small lake and my buddy yelled for me to look over, and he pulled a Muskrat out of the hole, yes, a Muskrat.  After he put it on the ice it pulled the hook out of it's upper lip and ran to a hole and went back into the lake.  There was no alcohol involved and I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. The small rainbows were biting like mad suspended 4' below the ice in 10'-15' of water.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Strangest Thing I Ever Saw Caught
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:53 PM »
     Icemanjim, too bad he spit the hook, I understand that properly prepared, they're quite tasty..'bout like raccoon, so I'm told   :woot: Some really wierd things happen on the lakes over your way though.  I remember a few years ago I was open-water fishing with Leon and he snagged a big ole beaver over on Fontenelle Dam ...quite accidentally of course. ;D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:10 PM »
My dad had one come up to his hole and then spin back down once he saw him. How does that happen with the ice frozen? Do they have a certain spot they enter and exit the lake and the ice doesn't freeze there or what? I just can't understand how a muskrat would survive under the ice. Just wondering... if anybody knows that would be great.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:17 PM »
I caught a musk rat this year too, snagged it in the tail.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:30 PM »
My dad had one come up to his hole and then spin back down once he saw him. How does that happen with the ice frozen? Do they have a certain spot they enter and exit the lake and the ice doesn't freeze there or what? I just can't understand how a muskrat would survive under the ice. Just wondering... if anybody knows that would be great.
     I know there's one or two I see over at Ocean Lake and they stay right around the outlet where there's no ice  :sick:

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Somewhere I was reading about the Guys back east having trouble with them coming into there houses after they leave and making a mess of things!  Also remember reading about them coming up through the hole while they are fishing, That would make for a big surprise! :woot:

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:46 PM »
I was told that they live in dens on shore with a tunnel dug under the water.  They  sure can hold their breath a long time because this one was 30-40 yards off the shoreline.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:58 AM »
ok....thx guys!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:17 AM »
During open water my buddy trolled up a shoe, a sweatshirt and a pair of pants all in the same night. I told him if we went out a little deeper we would get the rest of the skeleton. Its a very popular pleasure craft lake and people get killed frequently in summer. I was only half joking.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:08 AM »
I've no way to verify this, but a buddy of mine at church told me yesterday he has a friend who skin-dives Boysen in the summer and he said at the face of the dam, there's all kinds of stuff that's gone through the ice, 4 wheelers, snowmachines, pickups, campers, fishing gear, he said it's a junkyard! you wouldn't believe and some huge...fish  :woot: Who knows what you might haul in over there.

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I and friend of mine were jigging for walleyes out of a boat when he hooked something, we both thought it had to be a monster wally, the pole was bent and throbbing just like a big wallys head shake and every so often it would pull to the left or the right, when he finally got it close enough to see it was hillarious, watching it swim back and forth as he brought it in, it was a metal toy dumptruck that he had hooked on the dump bed. Watching the way the pole was working it had us both fooled.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Here's proof of the muskrat i caught this fall

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:57 PM »
did u eat the little guy :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:54 PM »
My bud hooked a muskrat a couple years ago, it was freakin' hilarious.  In open water I've hooked and landed 3 seagulls, lost a pelican after a 20 minute tussel, and fought a raccoon for ten minutes till he broke me off!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Here's proof of the muskrat i caught this fall
you should have had your ice shanty card  and entered it in the other catagory!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:29 AM »
Slayerfish,
               I was fishing with a guy and we were long lining some streamer flies fishing for Trout in the fall. It was super foggy on the lake which is one thing I don't like hunting or fishing, But anyways I noticed he had something on his line but the line was going up in the air! :woot: He had hooked a Seagull he reeled it in and I netted it. I was surprised how big it was and stunk :sick: It was hooked right through the tongue I grabbed the hook with some needle nose pliers and when I pulled the hook out and it split its tongue right down the middle.
    Now he was Seagull who speak with forked Tongue! :o

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:54 AM »
Big Ice's story reminds me of a time i was steelhead fishing on the Cowlitz river in Washington state.  Fishing had started to slow down mid morning and we decided to throw some spoons over a gravel bed.  My dad hooked a big chub, probably 4 or 5 pounds.  It came up rolling on the surface the they normally do.  All of the sudden we hear a bug swoosh of air over our heads.  A bald eagle swooped in from behind us, literally a couple feet over our heads, and picked that chub off the top of the water.  Before my dad could do anything that eagle spooled about 40 yards off the reel before the hook pulled out and the bird and the fish came crashing down on the far bank.  The eagle stood there for a while looking as if it was trying to figure out what just happened.  I was funny to see my dad getting spooled by a bald eagle with a four pound chub on 8 lb test.

Zack

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Something like that would be great to catch on video! Great story. I know each spring the Eagles start showing up and I wonder now if a person threw a fish out if a Eagle would pick it up. I was fishing the canyon at Glendo one spring and there were so many Eagles it was unbelievable! Very cool to see!

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:45 PM »
We were fishing today on a small lake and my buddy yelled for me to look over, and he pulled a Muskrat out of the hole, yes, a Muskrat.  After he put it on the ice it pulled the hook out of it's upper lip and ran to a hole and went back into the lake.  There was no alcohol involved and I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. The small rainbows were biting like mad suspended 4' below the ice in 10'-15' of water.  So, I know it can and does happen...and it is a real "fish story" when it does>!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Something like that would be great to catch on video! Great story. I know each spring the Eagles start showing up and I wonder now if a person threw a fish out if a Eagle would pick it up. I was fishing the canyon at Glendo one spring and there were so many Eagles it was unbelievable! Very cool to see!
happens all the time up here in northern maine    we throw the perch out on the ice   and it isnt long before the eagles fly right down and scarf them up!   builtrite has pictures of it happening here in maine
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.