The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hand vs. Power auger?  (Read 7182 times)

Offline 307Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hand vs. Power auger?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Yeah i would probably cry haha. I will cut a 10"ish diameter circular piece of plywood and place between adapter and auger.
Hopefully try it this weekend. 🤞

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:16 PM »
Do any of those companies offer a brushless drill and a 10” bit?  It seems like most of you run an 8” bit.

I prefer a 10” hole when fishing multiple days on eastern MT bodies of water and am concerned that the hammer drills lack the torque necessary to drill with a 10” bit.

307 outdoorsman: buy a flasher. It will change your life.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Do any of those companies offer a brushless drill and a 10” bit?  It seems like most of you run an 8” bit.

I prefer a 10” hole when fishing multiple days on eastern MT bodies of water and am concerned that the hammer drills lack the torque necessary to drill with a 10” bit.

307 outdoorsman: buy a flasher. It will change your life.

That is correct, they do not have 10".  I think they could handle the torque, but you would use up the battery pretty fast.  But it is pretty easy to drill overlapping hole to make a bigger opening....

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:46 AM »
For me it depends on if I am fishing all night and the temps.  I like a 10 inch hole for tipups and cold weather and I have a trophy strike 120 volt.,  I also have a 8 inch auger for it, a 10 inch gas and a 8 inch 40  volt.  In the 70s I had a hand auger but when going through 20+ inches of ice drilling 12 to 24 holes for me and kids was to much.  I first started using a  chain saw and then got a jiffy in 1980.  Why I need a power auger is I hunt fish and can drill 25 to 50+ holes in a day easy.  If there was 5 inches of ice maybe but at 20 inches no way.
olefish

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Anyone use the Ridgid Octane brushless drill?

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Milwaukee 2804-22 drill kit is $199 and free shipping and no tax from Fleet Farm. I haven't seen a price this cheap. If you want to go the electric route now is the time!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:20 AM »
That is a good price
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:25 PM »
I use a Ridgid hammer drill. I don't think it's called 'Octane' but it works fine on my 6" Mora.. have used it with a n 8" mora on fairly thin ice.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:26 PM »
 I couldn’t help it anymore guys. I bought that Milwaukee. Saw the deal on Facebook then stared at it for 3 days. Figured “well ice season is winding down anyways” but talked myself into it with the old adage of “a man needs a good drill anyways!”

I will report back on how it turns the 10” soon. I’m going to have to try it! In the meantime, will everyone be on the lookout for a screaming deal on the 8” variety augers. I’m not really partial to any of them! :)
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:31 PM »
I got the Milwaukee 2703 a month ago and the strikemaster light flight. I would never go back. Any of the drills with 1200 pounds or more of torque are awesome. That's a really good deal on the 2804 though. As for the 8 inch, I would go with the light flight but you do have to get their replacement adapter because the one that comes with it isn't good. they sent me one within 3 days of contacting them though. At wheatland 3 two weeks ago I drilled an overlapping site hole with my light light in 20 plus inches of ice. Was easy. I couldn't even do that with my propane auger

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:59 PM »
I’m leaning towards the lite flight but like I said, I can see the pros and cons to each. I do need a center point to drill overlapping holes, and Eskimo currently makes me apprehensive to buy from.

I saw a few videos online using 10” augers. Not going to be using it for long but it will be nice to see what it can do. If I burn it up, please don’t tell Milwaukee we had this conversation!
Trent Williams

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:11 PM »
I’m leaning towards the lite flight but like I said, I can see the pros and cons to each. I do need a center point to drill overlapping holes, and Eskimo currently makes me apprehensive to buy from.

I saw a few videos online using 10” augers. Not going to be using it for long but it will be nice to see what it can do. If I burn it up, please don’t tell Milwaukee we had this conversation!

If I were doing it all over again ..I would consider the Eskimo 8in has a center point and a ring note the 6 in does not ..Mora style blades which can be hand sharpened with a bit of practice ..or the HT 8in E-Drill ..very similar to Pistol Bit .
 KTP sign up for their Emails 20% off ...plus running a deal on gift cards 14% off.

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/ht-enterprises-premium-e-drill-nylon-8-hand-ice-auger-kit-100375907.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Wyowalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Reed's Sports in Minnesota has all of their ice fishing gear on sale. They have a lot of good sales.  I used to shop in the store when we lived in Minnesota. It has been a tough ice season there this year. Early snow and lots of slush on the lakes. Here is their website for the sale. Hope you find what you are looking for.
https://www.reedssports.com/blizzard-sale

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:20 AM »
I’m not so sure about the HT??? I haven’t read hardly anything on it but he pictures make it look cheap. Probably not any cheaper than any of the other models, realistically.

Thanks wyowalleye, I’ll give it a look around!
Trent Williams

Offline Tripwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:21 AM »
+1 on the Strikemaster Lite flight, puts the Kdrill to shame in my experience. have not used the Eskimo though

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:36 AM »
I’m not so sure about the HT??? I haven’t read hardly anything on it but he pictures make it look cheap. Probably not any cheaper than any of the other models, realistically.

Thanks wyowalleye, I’ll give it a look around!

I have the 8in K-Drill and the 8 in E-Drill...the E-Drill has Mora style blades ..not stainless though(but interchangeable with those that are I believe) ..the flights are nylon ..where the K-Drill has a different feel/material for certain ..the handle on the E-Drill is not my cup of tea..but is removable via a snap ring ..good adjustable height ..center point and ring ..and cuts quite fast .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:13 PM »
I still use a 6" hand auger, but after punching numerous holes this past weekend in 18 inches of ice, I am done!  Before next season I will be going electric!  Not sure what yet but am getting older and hand drilling sucks!  I find because of the drill I tend not to move as much as I should. 

Offline glmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I went with the DeWalt drill that has the side handle-- and the Nils 8" with removable handle-- BE CAREFULL!  My wrist is still sore cause I wasn't ready for the amount of tourque(?) this has! Very impressive! Lots of holes on 1 5ah battery-- I did have a problem with the keyless chuck not staying tight & coming loose dropping auger into hole. Then the chuck would stick and not want to close or open-- This was aXmas gift with minamel (?) use. Took back to Bomgars & the gave me a new one!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.