Author Topic: Thinking of going to an electric auger  (Read 3231 times)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thinking of going to an electric auger
« on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:10 PM »
Hey guys.  So last week, I did some research on electric augers after not hardly even looking at them since around 2013.   I had no plans of buying a new auger, just wanted to educate myself a little. My Strikemaster gas auger has worked great until recently.  Long story short, I had to take it in and got news that its almost unfixable or not even worth trying to fix.  And was recommended to go to electric.  I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews and the Strikemaster 40V really has my attention.  The Jiffy E6 looks good too, but the iON is a little more than I want to spend.  I usually dont drill a ton of holes on a day of fishing...maybe ~10-12 total.

Anyway, im trying to talk my wife into going electric.  She said she wants to go the propane route.  Im not an auger expert, but these electric augers seem a lot more promising to me than propane. 

Not trying to start a debate, but whats the general consensus on these augers and theyre reliability?  From everything Ive read, it seems they are the real deal.

Thanks guys

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Thinking of going to an electric auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Strikemaster has been around for quite some time and has two battery operated versions with composite flighting ..IMO Jiffy which has a counter clockwise rotation along with a metal flight is a hard pass...the New ION is nice as well. If I were to get a dedicated battery operated auger Strikemaster gets my vote.

As far as Propane ..too heavy and the sun has set on them IMO
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Strikemaster has been around for quite some time and has two battery operated versions with composite flighting ..IMO Jiffy which has a counter clockwise rotation along with a metal flight is a hard pass...the New ION is nice as well. If I were to get a dedicated battery operated auger Strikemaster gets my vote.

As far as Propane ..too heavy and the sun has set on them IMO

Great info, thank you!  As of now, as much as I'd like the ION, the price is iffy.  The Strikemaster currently is at the top of my list with all things considered.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:39 PM »
I guess a cordless drill set wasnt a consideration ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:12 PM »
I guess a cordless drill set wasnt a consideration ?

Not really.  Nothing against them, just not interested in them.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:26 PM »
You can’t go wrong with the Strikemaster electric auger. The 40v is amazing.

Why would you even consider a propane Jiffy? You must not know that an 8” propane Jiffy weighs 38 pounds!! (It’s true, look it up!!).

I’ve only ever known one person with an electric Jiffy. He says it is a huge pile of crap. He will never be able to get back what he spent on it, and he hardly has even used it. He used it for about a month and wanted to just throw it in the trash. He doesn’t want to sell it because he would feel bad for whoever bought it. I would suggest talking to people that have them and see what they think first.

I have no experience with Ions but I hear they are good. I still currently use a gas auger. A Strikemaster Solo lazer. I have no need to replace a perfectly good auger. That being said, I can’t wait till it craps out so I can go electric! If I could choose any auger on the market today, it would be the SM 24v with an extra battery.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:29 PM »
You can’t go wrong with the Strikemaster electric auger. The 40v is amazing.

Why would you even consider a propane Jiffy? You must not know that an 8” propane Jiffy weighs 38 pounds!! (It’s true, look it up!!).

I’ve only ever known one person with an electric Jiffy. He says it is a huge pile of crap. He will never be able to get back what he spent on it, and he hardly has even used it. He used it for about a month and wanted to just throw it in the trash. He doesn’t want to sell it because he would feel bad for whoever bought it. I would suggest talking to people that have them and see what they think first.

I have no experience with Ions but I hear they are good. I still currently use a gas auger. A Strikemaster Solo lazer. I have no need to replace a perfectly good auger. That being said, I can’t wait till it craps out so I can go electric! If I could choose any auger on the market today, it would be the SM 24v with an extra battery.

Dang 38#?!   Yup thats a no-go for me. 

Although im sure not every Jiffy electric has bad experiences, that still is great to know.  So far, in my research I have yet to see one single bad thing said about the StrikeMaster 40V.

Just when I said Im set on ice fishing equipment...here I am again about to spend more lol.  Those walleyes are becoming quite the $$/lb.  Lol

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:55 AM »
I have the Milwaukee/K-drill setup that I mostly use in the skid shack, a Strikemaster gas and the 40V Strikemaster electric, all three have their place.  Honestly for your scenario drilling a few holes, the drill setup would work fine and it is lighter in weight than the alternatives.  With that said I think you would be happy with the Strikemaster 40V, I have a couple of friends that have used them for at least 4 seasons, they get along fine and have had no problems, I bought a new one and used it all last season and never felt the need to even get the gas auger out (we have a long season, thick ice).  As others mentioned, going with a Jiffy propane would be a big step back, I used have a Jiffy gas, it would have made a good heavy boat anchor.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2020, 05:12 PM »
I had a Jiffy PRo 4 auger. It was good and really had no problem with it. Sold it and bought an Eskimo P4 Rocket. That had always worked perfectly. Then I saw the Jiffy e6 right after they came out with them. I grabbed one up. It's much lighter than the propane augers. I had problems with a battery which Jiffy replaced no questions. The only problem I've had with the Jiffy is that it has a tendency to freeze up on the blades. I have to be sure to let it spin out of the water to let it shed the water. That has been a little frustrating. I recently tore up a shoulder and then saw the new Gen 2 Ion. Weighing in at only 17 lbs. I just had to lay one away. So I hope to be using that 17 lb. Ion this winter. It is expensive though. I watched a Youtube video showing drilling speed with all three electrics and the Ion was a little faster that the Strikemaster, but more than twice as fast as the Jiffy!

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2020, 06:57 PM »
I appreciate the help and info fellas. 

I've pretty much made my mind up and going with the Strikemaster 40V.  Just waiting to pull the trigger.

My local sporting good store is running a deal for $99 that if you buy the auger, it will come with an extra battery, auger head cover, extra set of blades, and battery case.  $200 value.  Just not sure if i really NEED an extra battery and all that stuff.

Either way, the Strikemaster is what im going with.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:29 PM »
Shipment on its way  ;D

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Shipment on its way  ;D

Good luck with your purchase.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:27 AM »
I fully endorse the Strikemaster 40V.

I've had mine for 3 seasons now. I don't have a complaint yet other than weight when compared to my lite flite milwaukee setup.

The auger has held up exceptionally well, I really never kept batteries warm. I just left it outside my hub in the elements. I switch batteries I use from season to season. It had come with 2 when I bought it.

I use my lite flite for any ice under a foot, after that, I use the 40V

I can use my lite flite on the 40V head, I just have no need to
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2020, 03:01 PM »
I fully endorse the Strikemaster 40V.

I've had mine for 3 seasons now. I don't have a complaint yet other than weight when compared to my lite flite milwaukee setup.

The auger has held up exceptionally well, I really never kept batteries warm. I just left it outside my hub in the elements. I switch batteries I use from season to season. It had come with 2 when I bought it.

I use my lite flite for any ice under a foot, after that, I use the 40V

I can use my lite flite on the 40V head, I just have no need to

Thats great to hear!  I am very excited to try it out.  Here in Michigan, we always have to cross our fingers to get good ice. 

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:40 PM »
I bought an Ion a few years ago on sale, pretty happy with it so far.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2020, 05:28 PM »
I have a old jiffy model 30 and I'm taking it to get looked at tomorrow.  I'm considering  a electric to but I hole hope sometimes I cut 50 holes for my self. If I go with my brother than its around 60 or 70. So I'm not sure how the electric will do when the ice gets 15 to 20 inches? Then I have to buy another battery they are $200 Its hard to justify $6to $700 for a auger when we have a short season here in pa.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2020, 02:14 PM »
So I'm not sure how the electric will do when the ice gets 15 to 20 inches? Then I have to buy another battery they are $200 Its hard to justify $6to $700 for a auger when we have a short season here in pa.

I’m in upstate NY and the last time we had 15-20 inches.   was 15-20 years ago 😉
We are lucky to have 60 days of safe ice in recent times

Perhaps you might consider Dewalt/Rigid/Milwaukee hammer drill driver.       and an adapter to mate with your auger shaft

There is a separate active topic for “auger drill adapters”.

Cheers   good luck with your search.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2020, 03:17 PM »

Not here at least 15 inches 3 years ago. In pa

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I own an Eskimo p1 propane that has worked flawlessly for me and wasn't too heavy for a power auger, think around 26 pounds.  I purchased a nils convertible auger with the drill adapter a couple years ago love that setup, so light and extremely fast. Now my Eskimo sits downstairs in the basement collecting dust.  The orange nils can be used by hand also with the included handle and it cuts faster than my strike lazer.  Only nice thing about a gas/propane auger is for you live way up north where they get 2 feet of ice.  Where I'm at, we're lucky to see safe ice close by anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.