Author Topic: Swimming lures  (Read 1474 times)

Offline dperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Swimming lures
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had better success on either a jigging rap or a chubby darter and what are the benefits of each. I've had limited success so far on each.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Swimming lures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Ive used a smallish airplane jig, not sure of what it is, cuz i got it in a cheap jig assortment from walmart, but i noticed i caught fewer perch with it, but the ones i did catch were a bit larger what i was getting on smaller jigs...pickeral like em too, which can be good or bad....
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Some days they like one over the other. Circular, somewhat flashy & relatively quiet vs. more vertical, fairly flashy and noisy. Deadsticking something, on the bottom and very near to either works wonders if they're only pulled in but not hitting

Offline BryanG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:58 PM »
the smallest rapala jigs with a rubber jenson egg stuck on the hook work awsome green and white jigin rap with an orange plastic egg

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Jiggin'Raps gets to bottom quicker.  Some days that's the ticket.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mhodnettjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I can't vouch for the darter, but as for the jiggin rap I have caught thousands of perch on them.  The new moonshine knock offs glow really well and have a nice shape but don't have the action that the raps have.  I love them.  the only downside is when the action is super fast they can get wrapped up in the treble hook pretty badly

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I fish a small perch Chubby Darter every trip and most, but not all days, I do very well. With many more big fish. I may catch more numbers of perch with a "tipped" Swedish Pimple, but know were near the size... I also get many more and bigger LM bass on the jigging rod!

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I have caught some nice perch on the smaller perch colored jiggin rap. As for the other lures I dont have experience using them but would imagine they would work well depending on the size of perch and conditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.