Author Topic: How to weed out the small ones?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
How to weed out the small ones?
« on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I still have a few more days of walk out ice, and the perch are going nuts. I have been getting some nice ones but have to go through catching a ton of 6"er's to get a good one. Should I try to go to a bigger bait to weed out the small ones? I did switch to plastics and it helped some. I was using a 5mm wolfram with a piece of purple plastic and a crappie minnow head was working good but maybe I should try bigger? A spoon of some sort maybe? There is so many perch I had to turn the flasher off, they block up the screen and I can't even see my jig. They start attacking it half way down.

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How to weed out the small ones?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:55 AM »
use perch eyes on a spoon if it legal. the dinks tend to not eat the eyes here. or use a bigger jigging rap
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline Drewski121

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh yeah
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2010, 07:02 PM »
eat them all DD ;D ;D ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:53 PM »
big minnow jigged a couple feet above the rest of the school. the big ones will come up to get it. 13-14incher will grab a 3in. shinner easily. my biggest a 16in. was caught on a 5 1/2in. smelt set  for salmon just under the ice in deep water.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Move the perch seemchool by size.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2010, 06:07 AM »
There are several methods that I will try.

Sometimes I go all metal lures, bare hook.
Upsizing my lure.
Move my lure faster, so the little ones will give up on it.
Fish higher up the water column.
Move to a different hole.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:31 PM »
big minnow jigged a couple feet above the rest of the school. the big ones will come up to get it. 13-14incher will grab a 3in. shinner easily. my biggest a 16in. was caught on a 5 1/2in. smelt set  for salmon just under the ice in deep water.

I second this one on lakes with a large population.  I have noticed that when I pulled the bait up higher in the water column the size of my catch increased.  My guess is the dinks prefer the security of the cover on the bottom.  However, I also support the fact that Perch school up by size too. In those cases I move until I find and catch bigger fish. Then I stick to a few holes in that specific area.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:29 PM »
use heavier lures to get to the bottom of the school faster so the little ones do not have a chance at it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.