Author Topic: Newbie searching for perch -- need help  (Read 1416 times)

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie searching for perch -- need help
« on: Dec 04, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Hey guys I'm newer to the whole fishing world.  Been fishing for 1 to 1.5 years in Iowa.  Had a fun weekend catching Perch in Northern Iowa (hook and minnow) a while back and would love to catch them through the ice.  What do you guys recommend using?  I've looked through a lot of threads here and it looks like a variety of things to use. 

Hali? which ones?
I have a white swedish pimple -- minnow head?

Pictures would help me a ton too.  Thanks guys!
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newbie searching for perch -- need help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Go up to Stans Bait in Milford Iowa get a few Shucks Jiggers, then got to Spirit Lake tip them with waxies or a minnow head drop to the bottom pump a few times and haul up a perch or 100. Won't be hard to find the bite once good ice gets here there will be trucks everywhere. Once you get confident catching them go to West and try for the sumo gills in ultra clear water. 2-3mm Fiskas or similar will catch you fish, but beware the sight fishing addicting.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Isu,
There are no "majic" answers, lures, or methods that get them everytime.  I suggest you read thru the many posts here.  Pick up on the gist of success patterns mentioned.  Then look to ways to apply them where you fish.  Sometimes they'll work and sometimes they won't.  Just got keep at it trying various pieces of the puzzle (location, time, lure, presentation, etc.).  One of the biggest keys to success that I would suggest to anyone getting started is to invest in a quality icefishing sonar to help you "see" what's going on down there as you work your baits.

But the biggest element is time spent fishing and trying new things (not just always doing whatever and whereever everyone else is).  You can't replace experience that you earn on the ice by playing around on the computer.  Good luck and go often.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Don't "overthink" it. If it worked in the summer time it should work in the winter. It's just verical in the winter. Green Hali's work the best for me.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:37 PM »
yep, take a few presentations and hone your technique down.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.