Author Topic: Jacker Knockoff II  (Read 1058 times)

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jacker Knockoff II
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:06 AM »
Hey guys, most of you saw my jacker in my initial post on them, and also from our maiden voyage post using it. I redesigned it to make it more cost effective. The first one I did utilized 1" aluminum square tubing. But at $24 for a 4' stick, it drove the cost up considerably. I redesigned it to use 1/2" EMT conduit. I also made it to be able to accommodate different length rods. The round EMT is more difficult to drill the holes consistently in a straight line, so I made a jig to help. The new cost per unit is under $10 for the material. Very inexpensive to build an arsenal of these if someone was inclined to. Thanks for looking and tight lines!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jacker Knockoff II
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:08 AM »
That’s why I like my wood “ Slammers”

Cost me about 3 dollars and I get better hook up ratios than jackers because they don’t jump on the set. They also dont false trigger on a Smelt that’s feeling Gully like on a jacker.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:12 AM »
Hey guys, most of you saw my jacker in my initial post on them, and also from our maiden voyage post using it. I redesigned it to make it more cost effective. The first one I did utilized 1" aluminum square tubing. But at $24 for a 4' stick, it drove the cost up considerably. I redesigned it to use 1/2" EMT conduit. I also made it to be able to accommodate different length rods. The round EMT is more difficult to drill the holes consistently in a straight line, so I made a jig to help. The new cost per unit is under $10 for the material. Very inexpensive to build an arsenal of these if someone was inclined to. Thanks for looking and tight lines!

if you want to drill round conduit, take a small flat file, turn it on it's side and take 4 or five stroke, you'll have a nice flat for your drily, and put a pilot drill in first, it takes more time but saves headache and is precise.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:28 AM »
if you want to drill round conduit, take a small flat file, turn it on it's side and take 4 or five stroke, you'll have a nice flat for your drily, and put a pilot drill in first, it takes more time but saves headache and is precise.

Great tip!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:36 AM »

Add to that a spring driven center punch and you can't screw it up...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:04 PM »
Thanks Rocco, I'm a toolmaker and at work I'd lock her in the vise and find the center and spot drill and drill. The shop at home is a woodshop so I made a jig to hold the conduit, center punched, drilled the first hole all the way thru the conduit and stuck a bolt thru it to lock it in place from rotating and then proceeded to drill the rest in the same center line for the adjustability for different lengths.

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:12 PM »
That’s why I like my wood “ Slammers”

Cost me about 3 dollars and I get better hook up ratios than jackers because they don’t jump on the set. They also dont false trigger on a Smelt that’s feeling Gully like on a jacker.
What can I say Frank, I'm a tinkerer! Keeps me on the good graces(out of her hair) of the wife so she lets me shoot a deer once in a while(she got 3 last year, 1 for me). Hope your doing well buddy.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:16 PM »
What can I say Frank, I'm a tinkerer! Keeps me on the good graces(out of her hair) of the wife so she lets me shoot a deer once in a while(she got 3 last year, 1 for me). Hope your doing well buddy.

Love it! I can’t complain Aaron, I’m still breathing, I’ll take it

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:26 PM »
Thanks Rocco, I'm a toolmaker and at work I'd lock her in the vise and find the center and spot drill and drill. The shop at home is a woodshop so I made a jig to hold the conduit, center punched, drilled the first hole all the way thru the conduit and stuck a bolt thru it to lock it in place from rotating and then proceeded to drill the rest in the same center line for the adjustability for different lengths.

Then you ought to know better! LOL, I'm a mechanic
and machinist, working in a CNC machine shop, but my home shop, although  set up as a wood shop( and brewery) has enough metalworking stuff to do most anything.
Love the tinkering aspect,  it what keeps us sane( and married).

Good post here,more like them are needed.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2023, 04:34 PM »
Lol I read this thread topic title too fast and thought it said jacking well you can figure out the rest 😂😂😂😂

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2023, 05:05 PM »
Lol I read this thread topic title too fast and thought it said jacking well you can figure out the rest 😂😂😂😂

That’s what the guys looking for reports do

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:38 AM »
That’s what the guys looking for reports do

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.