The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flotation Jacket  (Read 1985 times)

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flotation Jacket
« on: Jan 15, 2024, 05:17 AM »
Withe all the talk about thin ice and a warm winter has anyone bought one of the ice fishing flotation jackets and if so what your experience as far as warmth etc.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flotation Jacket
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2024, 05:41 AM »

I have 2 striker suits a trekker and a climate ,but no desire to test the floating aspect, I had a guardian wore it to -9 and was comfortable , the climate to -26 and was very warm , climate is a a little bulky , 1 thing I have tested the bib gators walked in water to my knees and stayed dry after walking about 30’

Offline Tacoma Marty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:56 AM »
I have the Eskimo Keeper jacket and bibs. Super warm and comfortable. Haven’t tested how it floats and hopefully I never will.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2024, 09:24 AM »

I would recommend bibs before a parka ...you will always wear the bibs ..most folks wear a hoodie and vest for their top layers

Also recommend 100g of insulation  from there you can go up/down on base layering to accommodate the weather condition.

Features to look for ...adjustable hem ...full zipper to hip.. expandable /elastic side panels. The brands to look at Striker ICE...Eskimo ...Clam ...Piscfun and Ice Runner ..Wind Rider
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2024, 02:41 PM »
 I bought flotation bibs years ago. They were XL or 2XL, I put them on and felt like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Tossed them in a spare closet and they collect dust.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2024, 03:54 PM »
All good info, thanks, Guys!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:22 PM »
 I have had a pair of Striker bibs, for a couple of years, quality product. Warm. Just got a Striker Trekker jacket. Don’t think it is quite as insulated as some of the other Striker jackets, appears to be well made. Haven’t fished in it yet. I like to layer underneath so I didn’t want a super warm jacket. Both have flotation, hope to never test it. Nice to know I have it though.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:03 AM »

I would recommend bibs before a parka ...you will always wear the bibs

+1

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:10 AM »
I bought the Clam Ice Armor floatation bibs and parka two years ago near the end of the season at a great price, about 40% off.  Very comfortable, warm, and easy to move in.  Haven’t tested the floatation aspect, and hope I never do!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:18 AM »
i have a striker jacket and bibs, the jacket is warm but not very durable. The bibs are big and bulky i feel like i am wearing a space suit when i have them on.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:24 AM »
My son and I have had Striker Hardwater bibs for quite a while.  They have a ton of time and miles on them and still look great.  Very warm.  The full length zippers come in really handy for venting.  Reinforced knees are great for kneeling on the ice.  Hardwater Diehard is right.  I wear the bibs with a hoody most of the time.  It would be interesting to see what happens if you go through with just flotation bibs.  Tip upside down?  I wouldn't think so as the flotation is pretty minimal.

I bought a Piscifun flotation jacket last year after the season.  It seems pretty nice, as well.  Unfortunately it was too small for me.  I'm 5'10", 170lbs and wear a Large in everything.  Would need XL in the Piscifun.  I gave it my son and it fit him well (normally a Medium).  We'll hopefully get to test it out in a month when he comes home to do some fishing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2024, 12:59 PM »
Crayfish2  I tested my Striker Ice bibs ...stepped off a floating dock about 2 ft above water in 10 ft of water ..bibs alone I touched bottom ...popped up and floated on my back ...it was a lil difficult to flip over to simulate a ice rescue/escape ..but once flipped over I remained buoyant...so all the effort to kick/swim was all that was needed/used.  Adding the jacket same scenario  ...I did not hit bottom...pretty much the same results flipping over.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:44 PM »
I bought a WindRider Boreas floating ice fishing suit which has jacket and bibs 2 years ago. I have a set of ice picks attached to the D rings. I have not tested the suit and hope not to.

I don’t use a shanty and I’m always exposed to the weather. The suit is very warm when dressed moderately underneath.

I haven’t been ice fishing yet this season due to warm temps/rain that we get in between cold spells. Not worth the risk for me to fish for a perch on thin ice even with the suit on.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:37 AM »
Great info, thanks guys!

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:48 AM »
Thanks for all of your comments! I bought some Striker bibs. If I go through the ice I'll let you know how it goes....maybe! ;D

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:50 PM »
My first flotation suit was Arctic Armour. It lasted 4 seasons of daily use before the fabric started to give out. 5 years ago I bought the Striker Climate jacket and bibs. I consider that the Cadillac of flotation suits. This is my 5th season and it still looks great and the fabric has held up. The suit is very warm and wind proof with the seasonal versatility of removing the liners on both bibs and coat when warmer temps are expected. The only negative is the suit is much heavier than the AA was but it is much warmer. I fish almost every day and consider a good flotation suit to be the most important tool for ice fishing.

Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2024, 04:57 AM »
Thanks for the post Islander, I may jacket the jacket later but as someone mention in an earlier post i'm many times without my jacket on especially when tip up fishing. I thought I'd see how I liked the bibs to start.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:34 AM »
Just an update, I bought a pair of the Striker bibs. The fit good, feel great and I'm quite happy with them. I haven't tried the flotation and hope not to but the peace of mind is nice to have. Thank toy for all your help!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:37 PM »
The bibs are a good start. I think with just that it will really help if you go through. 2 of us with flotation suits pulled a fishing friend out of a hole several years ago.  He didn't have flotation and had been in the water about 10 minutes when we got to him. he was ready to let go and drown. The hole he fell through was now as large as a truck since he kept trying to get on top and it kept breaking. The problem was his bibs and boots were full of water and kept sinking and he couldnt overcome that to kick on top of the ice. When I got to him he was hanging on the edge with just his head above the ice. If he had flotation bibs I think he could have kicked his way on top. He didn't have picks either and that is another tool we all should have on our person every time we go out no matter how thick the ice is. Luckily I was able to get my sled to him and he hooked his arm over it and 2 of us tied a rope on the sled and crawlwd off the 1 inch ice to a safe place and pulled him out.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05:00 AM »
I'm pretty careful, Islander and have been through once when i was a young buck, back then i was  strong enough to get myself out. I don't intend to do that again but should it ever happen hopefully, the bibs will make the difference. Thank you for your advice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.