The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Return policy abuse !!!!  (Read 5786 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Return policy abuse !!!!
« on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:24 AM »
I have seen this topic discussed on this form and it looks like the abuse has closed down a good thing for the honest people .

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Return policy abuse !!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I think a year is More than generous.  Industry Leading.  Nothing lasts forever!  Great Products!!!

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I have no problem with the change. But don't be fooled by them blaming people who took advantage of the policy. This is all about the bottom line and making the shareholders happy. See also Bean's recent Pension decision. Had this truly been about the "abusers" they would have changed the policy many, many, many moons ago (they did slighltly change the wording of the guarantee years ago).

LL Bean starts employee buyouts, ends pension plan http://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/05/business/ll-bean-starts-employee-buyouts-ends-pension-plan/
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Maybe their prices will go down  ::)

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Actually it is about staying in business.  LL Bean isn't doing well and they are trying to become more profitable.  Would you rather have them lay off even more people than they currently are planning to, or change their return policy?  Gone are the days that outdoor equipment drives their company.  It is now an afterthought and clothing sales is their main business.  Flat to down sales for years isn't a model of success for a company.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Plus you are right, screw LL Bean for wanting to be profitable.  I get sooooo tired of people hammering businesses for trying to make money. 

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:54 AM »
They should care about being profitable who wouldn't??? Just don't blame so called " abusers" for the change. Don't put up a smokescreen,  just tell it like it is. "Our  sales are flat and we want to ensure our barrels full of money keep coming in so we are doing away with pensions, lowering bonuses, ending our lifetime guarantee, cutting free shipping unless you spend more money and buying out long time employees who make way too much money" Sincerly S. Gorman

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:00 AM »
If people didn't abuse the return policy it wouldn't be a cost issue, they do abuse it, as stated in the article, so away it goes.  I have bought stuff from beans forever, and I always figured, on gear anyways, I was paying a bit more for that guarantee.  But since now they are really a clothing company it is a different market. 

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Indie

Cabelas/Bassdoh  quality of clothing is laughable compared to Beans.  Granted it's a bit pricey.  I usually only by there products that are on sale.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Cabelas that has just been bought out by Bass Pro and both companies are having serious financial difficulties? 

LL Bean is a top heavy company that has people who have worked there for a long time.  They were successful enough for a long time to keep those employees and policies in place.  Over the last few years that success has gone away and they have to face hard realities.  Unless they can become more profitable they will go away.  So they are changing their compensation program, their return policies, and reducing their staffing. You can be jealous of them all you want, but there are an awful lot of people in Maine who have great jobs because of them, and if Bean goes away there aren't going to be many options for those people.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I saw it several times on this forum...  people talking about returning their boots, shelter, auger, gloves... some people definitely used it as a buy once and keep returning for new gear...  that's not the spirit of the warranty. If you wore something out from use then you probably got your money's worth...  if it ripped/broke prematurely then bring it back...
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I saw it several times on this forum...  people talking about returning their boots, shelter, auger, gloves... some people definitely used it as a buy once and keep returning for new gear...  that's not the spirit of the warranty. If you wore something out from use then you probably got your money's worth...  if it ripped/broke prematurely then bring it back...

ditto that

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Now who’s talkin trash....

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Nope don't work there and no connection.  Just get tired of the liberal crap from people who constantly rip companies for trying to stay in business.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Thank you to all of you for understanding our current difficulties, our 1.6 billion dollar yearly gross sales are no longer supporting our family's lifestyle.  We will continue to develop our outsourced products for you (you know who they are!!) and yes, even Lewiston! But we must make changes in order to keep our barrels full of cash. Sincerely S. Gorman

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Haters are always gonna hate. Another prime example of the entitlement attitude that’s out of control. If they are successful and make money, let’s tax them more and make them give it all back.
And let’s bash a true Maine Company that makes a great quality product at a reasonable price. They haven’t been in business since 1912 because they make a cheap product. Doesnt matter what people say. Not gonna change my mind.
I’m on team LL Bean. Hope next year they make 3.6 billion and hire more employees...

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Just to keep this ice fishing related. My Jiffy auger and Jack Traps were all purchased from LL Beans.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Ask for employees opinions.....
There is No Union to "care for" employees. WHY?  LL Bean has GREAT benefits for ALL employees, not just upper management or select few family members.
I'm sorry, but if you've had a product for X amount of years, used it fully and were "satisfied" during that time, that should not entitle you to return said product because it just tore, wore out or died and now you are unsatisfied with its performance X years down the road.
Loyal customers will still buy their products as long as Beans puts out quality products.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Gary, I think we would be hard pressed to find someone on this board that does not have LL Bean products

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:19 AM »
I just started to poke around and i literally lost count of bean gear and clothing I own Steve. I have no problem with the new policy. I worked multiple seasons on the phones for beans and no complaints, pay was good and a few perks too. I just think it's disingenuous that the policy change was blamed on so called abusers. I think they should have just said  we made a business decision...

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Ex wife’s cousin use to go to yard sales and look for Bean products so she could return them. I remember her bragging about getting a new pair of boots when she returned a pair she found, and they weren’t even her size. They gave her a difference size, no questions asked. I don’t know how much it happened, but it did happen. Wasn’t proud to even be associated to her. Remember I did say Ex wife.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I am an LL Bean fan (bigger Orvis fan) and own many products from both. I have never returned a Bean product myself. That said both company products are not of the same quality they once were and it is a good thing Bean to cut back on the Warranty, with the gear not lasting as long...

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:45 PM »
i am the king of yard sale returns lol

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:51 PM »
They'll lose some Customers but I think they'll increase their bottom dollar overall which is the goal of any company.  It's kind of sad when you go to the Flagship store and there are far more people in line to return items than there are buying items.

I have bought hundreds of things from Beans (Fly rods, Spin Rods, Trolling rods, Boots, Ice Shacks, Augers, Fly Tying Supplies, Waders, Nets, Lures, Line, Chamois Shirts, River Driver Shirts, Sweatshirts, Keens, knives, tents, furniture, EVERYTHING)  from Beans and maybe returned a dozen things or so over my lifetime.  The overall quality of their Products is above average, I've been very happy with most of everything I've bought from them.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:57 PM »
going to have to figure out another way to do my xmas shopping

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:08 PM »
i am the king of yard sale returns lol
That is funny sh*t.  ;D

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:47 PM »
I use to work for brookstone before they made the same type of change. It use to be lifetime guarantee/replacement, or 100% satisfaction from the products. I’ve personally seen the type of yard sale picking and attic clean outs that occurs. The oldest return I had to do was 17 years from the purchase date, the guy had the packing slip  :clap:
It was to the point that there was over 100%  return rate on some years because people sought out the brandname to do just that. Unless the brand name was crossed off or had our outlet mark on it, we did a exchange or store credit for the price it was last sold at. Then we get people coming in with gift cards they bought online from the people that salvaged/stole the returned item to begin with.

Offline WishnIwasFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I tried explaining this to a buddy of mine (who recently returned a Beans fly rod he bought second hand off a guy in the 80’s for $100, they gave him $80 for it and he walked out with a brand new rod) but he doesn’t get it. Beans is in a tough spot because they’re their own manufacturer, distributor, wholesale and retail, not nearly as much wiggle room as a big box store who has vendors and distributors and can return merchandise to receive credit on the next trip. Beans gets a sweater back with a hole in it, they eat it. Chair or a rod gets broken they give you another and hope it’s in halfway decent shape so they can sell it at a reduced cost at the outlet/Good Will or another retailer altogether. I wonder how many rods, reels, clothes, kayaks and whatever else is floating around Freeport gets collected and returned, even for store credit? Ya got kids grabbin their mom and dads old Beans Boots and returning em for store credit only to sell those at a discounted rate so they can go buy dope. Cabelas only does 90 day returns now on all non-Cabelas brand merchandise, period, no exceptions. Learned that the hard way trying to exchange a rod I bought there last summer (11’ Tsunami surf rod) but hey, live and learn.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:27 PM »
The return abuse has gone on for many years.  I worked in their returns department 30 years ago and we had some winners back then on a regular basis. 
I still have some of that gear that I bought back then, and some of it was imported from overseas.  So that isn't a new thing either. 

The policy change is long overdue, and if by doing so they can keep more Mainers employed  - then more power to them.

Offline FJ40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:54 PM »
FWIW, here's a quote taken from an article in the Morning Sentinel:

"L.L. Bean Executive Chairman Shawn Gorman said the cost to the retailer of abusive and fraudulent returns had become so great that it eclipsed total annual revenue from sales of the company’s flagship Bean boots."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.