Author Topic: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!  (Read 155840 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!
« Reply #60 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:16 PM »
When I made mine, I used the large vinyl covered paper clip.  No scratches or worries so far.  Been using them for a couple years now.  When I dig my ice gear out next week (when I put my deer hunting stuff away, ice gear comes out), I'll take and post a picture of my setup.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Here are the 2 I plan on trying out this year.

And here is the way I modified your trigger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Duckiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. T
« Reply #62 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I am not stealing the star light from bquick because he gets all the credit but i just built the same design as bquicks design but it is adjustable so that you can use anything from a 24" rod to how ever long of a rod you want with just a simple modification if anyone wants my plans or the plans to add to bquicks design pm me

Bquick thanks for the design never would of thought of my variation of this with out your initial design
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:11 PM »
I am not stealing the star light from bquick because he gets all the credit but i just built the same design as bquicks design but it is adjustable so that you can use anything from a 24" rod to how ever long of a rod you want with just a simple modification if anyone wants my plans or the plans to add to bquicks design pm me

Bquick thanks for the design never would of thought of my variation of this with out your initial design

HAHA!  There's plenty of stars to go around!  lol... I can't really take any credit either as there are so many ideas that people have given me to make this possible.  Well done IS!

Lefty2053, those look great!  I really like the eye bolt as well.  Should be real easy to make some quick, in-the-field adjustments.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #64 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:59 PM »
that is very cool i might have to give it a shot  ;) ;D ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #65 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Well here is my 1st run prototype jacker. I made my trigger adaptable to some pole holders i already use. I made this in about 15 minutes so they are in no way as good as bquick's triggers. I will make a few more when i get some more time to get these's bends down clean, straight and neat. The length between where the line lays and the top eyelet catch will be increased, this was the only piece of hardened wire i had that would work. Its does trip rather easy

hoping to try this out this coming weekend if the ice cooperates. Thanks again bquick
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Muskyon46... Very nice!  The rod holder you have definitely will reduce expenses and it looks like a great platform to work off of.  Does your line pass permanently through the trigger or when the fish strikes will it be free from the trigger so that it is no longer in the way?  Was trying to tell where the line went.  Great job and I hope you get out there this weekend.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:41 AM »
It lays on top and is free when tripped, i made the twist upside down at 1st and it kept getting caught up. After closer inspection of yours i got it right
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Perfect.  I took mine out yesterday and had a great time.  Really makes it more exciting for the kids, they love it!  I had about an 80 to 85% hook up rate and it was definitely sensitive enough.  And 95% were hooked perfectly in the lip so I didn't have any dead fish as I was releasing everything.  The trigger would fall into the water after it was tripped every now and then so make sure you blow off the trigger before you set it so the water drops don't freeze it to the rod or the line.  Let me know how it goes!   :thumbsup:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Thats great you got to put it to use, i will keep updates coming
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:44 AM »
Bquick, do you remember how much the materials set you back?    Prob a few bones less than they want for the jawjacker.... Thanks for the great write up

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Eroknroll. I did the math after building them and it was between $15 and $20 depending on how good a person is at utilizing the materials in certain lengths and where they get them. Most of it is in the channel and the fact that I use stainless hardware. If one really wanted to I am sure you could easily get it down to around $10 each. Obviously, if you utilize an existing rod holder it get really cheap but I needed rod holders anyway!   :)

Offline Doomsday

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ohh.... 2 to 200 feet
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:13 AM »
sweet.... i made 2 last year that worked pretty well from a design similar
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:40 AM »
They are an absolute kick!  The kids love them and the wife is really getting into it now.  I had a good haul of 13 burbot the other night and all but one was lip hooked.  The kids loved that they could play and then just come running over to reel em in.  You still use yours, Doomsday?

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:57 AM »
I am just finishing up 5 of these based on Bquick's design.  As he stated, the most difficult part seemed to be bending the trigger.  I gave in and went to a local craft shop and bought a pair of pliers for 9 bucks that are designed for making wire jewelery.  They  worked perfect!  The other change i made was on the rod support, I bumped it up to 1 1/4" PVC to accommodate a sightly larger diameter rod handle.  There were a few comments on how to alter the design for different length rods, I think you can accomplish this by simply changing the length of the steel leader that attaches the trigger?  Simple cheap and effective, similar effect as adjusting the length of the center leg.  Thanks for the great design and all the comments.  Now. . . . just waiting for some Ice!  Maybe by next weekend?

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:50 AM »
That's awesome!!!  You'll have to let us know how it goes. Hope you get some ice soon!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I am just finishing up 5 of these based on Bquick's design.  As he stated, the most difficult part seemed to be bending the trigger.  I gave in and went to a local craft shop and bought a pair of pliers for 9 bucks that are designed for making wire jewelery.  They  worked perfect!  The other change i made was on the rod support, I bumped it up to 1 1/4" PVC to accommodate a sightly larger diameter rod handle.  There were a few comments on how to alter the design for different length rods, I think you can accomplish this by simply changing the length of the steel leader that attaches the trigger?  Simple cheap and effective, similar effect as adjusting the length of the center leg.  Thanks for the great design and all the comments.  Now. . . . just waiting for some Ice!  Maybe by next weekend?

Good deal, I am still messing with my trigger system which I now have narrowed down to a simpler trigger. Will make them up today and post them soon.
<===Lefty===

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #77 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:29 PM »
All these homemade gizmo's inspired me to put a couple together quick. It took me 10-15 minutes. I used coated steel leaders and brass safety pins so they don't rust. Just doing table top tests they work very well without hardly any force. I put red electrical tape on the rod tips for high visibility also, because of the color of rods they are.  :thumbsup:

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:06 PM »
 :thumbsup:

I like the electrical tape idea!  Good thought.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Ilike the Red electrical tape thats a nice touch.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:41 PM »
When I showed my neighbor my Lip Rippers he gave me a roll of Blazing tape. Hunters orange so I can just pull off a strip of 4" and tie it to the tip of my rods.
<===Lefty===

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I got a bunch of that just sitting in my hunting pack too... lol

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Good deal, I am still messing with my trigger system which I now have narrowed down to a simpler trigger. Will make them up today and post them soon.
Thanks Lefty2053!  I am looking forward to seeing your design pic's when you get a chance to post them!  I am always looking for the better "mouse trap"!  I appreciate all the comments and posts from everyone to help me catch more fish.  Interesting discussion on the General Topic board (Jaw Jaker Users be ware) regarding the type of rods to use with these set ups (graphite vs. glass).  Since I haven't had a change to use mine yet, it has been really helpful in my rod selection.  Keep the comments coming!

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:36 PM »
I finally settled on a trigger design I like, after several attempts.  They used a little more rod than the 6 inches Bquick used, but it was easier than trying to keep them to a predetermined length.  I did stick with the 1/2" length for the catch that hooks in the rod tip eye.  First attempt at this, but thought I would post some pic's.  Can't wait to give them a try.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Dang!  Those are some well made triggers!!! 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Good job Cool Hand. I see you finally got out of that Prison Camp. How many eggs can you eat? I have 9 Dozen right now from my Chickens.
<===Lefty===

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:43 PM »
What we have here, is a failure to communicate!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:15 PM »
What we have here, is a failure to communicate!
Stroher Martin
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Coolhand those are awesome trigger designs..........That's definitely gonna get er done.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Here is my modified/Simplified Triggers.

<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.