Author Topic: Smitty Has A Kidney Stone  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smitty Has A Kidney Stone
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2019, 05:19 AM »
Bummer. Is it still moving and causing pain?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:09 AM »
Bummer. Is it still moving and causing pain?
It’s moving....yes it is causing pain....had child birth pain for 9 hrs Sunday night....now pain is on & off treated mainly with ibuprofen at work....got the good pain meds at home....
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Kidney stones are the worse. Hopefully they gave you something for the pain. It is the worst pain. Drink lots of water. Prayers you pass it soon 🙏🙏.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:11 AM »
The pain happens because you have a chunk of gravel being pushed through a tube with the inside diameter about the size of a hair. And that chunk of gravel is NOT smooth, that's where the blood comes from. If it's moving and causing pain that's a good thing even if you would rather have them cut the damn thing out! It means it's on it's way to the bladder. Drink plenty of fluids but don't over do the coffee. I hope it passes fast for you. I had my first one when I was a kid. The moron doctor said it was gas and sent me home. I passed a few more with the same type of diagnosis before someone decided to test for blood in the urine.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Ouch.....since Thursday at the ER....5mm in size they say....10mm & up they break up...so I have to pass this one...

I feel your pain!
5 ER visits in 4 years time.
My left kidney is a virtual gravel pit, been thru scope surgery twice.
1st time I ever passed stones x9 3-6mm blocked and trip to ER, don't even remember driving myself to hospital and they all passed at same time! ER just doped me up and sent me home, this was 4th of July holiday weekend...when the urologist finally came back after the holiday I get this call saying I should've had emergency surgery and never should have been allowed to pass so many so large...go figure, no wonder I thought I was dying, and to make matters worse, I loaded up on the pain narcs because it was so intense and the constipation hit while all the stones were traveling/blocking the ureter!
2nd time almost identical, but only x6 stones and Thanksgiving holiday weekend 2 years later...just got wiser about the pain pills/constipation & ER knew me by 1st name this time and treated me much better...
3rd time was the charm...last July wife out of town on trip for the weekend, left all alone, get home and peeing blackberry juice! Yes it was intense, called it hematura I think, anyhow ER nurses on strike, got lousy treatment, left to wait, no treatment for 4 hours, almost passed out right in front of several of them making the trip to the bathroom to pee what looks like 100% blood, finally get CT scan, but left in hall on gurney another 3 hours, finally get disgusted, pulled IV out and went home thinking I would bleed to death in my sleep.
Go to see urologist following Monday, get results of CT scan, shows gravel pit kidney full of stones, schedules enhanced scan, go do that and followup results show a stone the size of my thumb!!!
Surgery scheduled for October 2018, had it removed, amazing enough by way of the scope.
Serious diet changes to high fat-low carb since then and some potassium citrate daily have kept the stones to a dull roar...plus lost 30# of weight and off almost all diabetes meds...uric acid stones are bad with type II.

Sure hope you get relief from it all, they're certainly tough to deal with and hit at the worse times.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2019, 06:59 AM »
I feel your pain!
5 ER visits in 4 years time.
My left kidney is a virtual gravel pit, been thru scope surgery twice.
1st time I ever passed stones x9 3-6mm blocked and trip to ER, don't even remember driving myself to hospital and they all passed at same time! ER just doped me up and sent me home, this was 4th of July holiday weekend...when the urologist finally came back after the holiday I get this call saying I should've had emergency surgery and never should have been allowed to pass so many so large...go figure, no wonder I thought I was dying, and to make matters worse, I loaded up on the pain narcs because it was so intense and the constipation hit while all the stones were traveling/blocking the ureter!
2nd time almost identical, but only x6 stones and Thanksgiving holiday weekend 2 years later...just got wiser about the pain pills/constipation & ER knew me by 1st name this time and treated me much better...
3rd time was the charm...last July wife out of town on trip for the weekend, left all alone, get home and peeing blackberry juice! Yes it was intense, called it hematura I think, anyhow ER nurses on strike, got lousy treatment, left to wait, no treatment for 4 hours, almost passed out right in front of several of them making the trip to the bathroom to pee what looks like 100% blood, finally get CT scan, but left in hall on gurney another 3 hours, finally get disgusted, pulled IV out and went home thinking I would bleed to death in my sleep.
Go to see urologist following Monday, get results of CT scan, shows gravel pit kidney full of stones, schedules enhanced scan, go do that and followup results show a stone the size of my thumb!!!
Surgery scheduled for October 2018, had it removed, amazing enough by way of the scope.
Serious diet changes to high fat-low carb since then and some potassium citrate daily have kept the stones to a dull roar...plus lost 30# of weight and off almost all diabetes meds...uric acid stones are bad with type II.

Sure hope you get relief from it all, they're certainly tough to deal with and hit at the worse times.

Just when you think you have it bad just start looking around you’ll find maybe you don’t.
Catching Any?

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2019, 11:32 AM »
I think the pain must be worse than having a baby. I have never heard a guy say that he wanted to have another kidney stone in a couple years....., or disappointed because he couldn't have a kidney stone...

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Hang in there Smitty!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2019, 07:00 AM »
I passed it...took 4 weeks.....a lot of ibuprofen during the period.....hoping it was my first & last one....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Sep 14, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I hope it’s your last one as well. Good luck, and have a great ice-fishing season!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Sep 14, 2019, 12:52 PM »
I hope it’s your last one as well. Good luck, and have a great ice-fishing season!

Thank You!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:28 AM »
chances are you'll have more. Ask the urologist to do a 24hr urine and see what the cause was. I've had 18+, lost my left kidney due to an unpassable stone earlier this year. BTW my doc would have broken that one up - they don't mess around lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #42 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Ouch.....since Thursday at the ER....5mm in size they say....10mm & up they break up...so I have to pass this one...

I had a birth defect in my left kidney that needed repair when I was in college, but once that was over, I started getting stones. I've probably passed 20 of them now. I remember a ways back my brother and I were fly fishing the Milwaukee river for Browns and Steelies when I keeled over with a stone. Damn near washed me out to the Milwaukee harbor. Ended up with a 13MM that needed lithotripsy. To be honest, getting that done is easier than passing them on their own.

Best of luck on giving birth to yours!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Wish ya luck!  stay away from sodas with fruitose acid and stuff like cherries and peaches etc stuff that can give Ya more kidney stones.. ask more to Docs about that stuff..

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:44 PM »
I’ve had them. They hurt like hell. I’ve always had good luck with drinking cranberry juice.
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.