Author Topic: CraigsList Scammers  (Read 1481 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
CraigsList Scammers
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:14 PM »
So I decided to list some ice fishing suits to sell. Right away on the most expensive . My phone starts buzzing and tooting. Please contact me wife at xxxxxx.com she is extremely interested in your xxxxxx. I know its a scammer so I say you have to contact me not the other way around.

Later while I am ice fishing I get the big story. Going to mail big certified bank draft keep an extra 20 for your trouble blah blah blah.

Can't these jerks think of anything new. Columbus kicked his men in the behind for trying that story on the natives. What's funny is when you look up their area code and it is from a place where there is no ice fishing.

Craigslist is alright but the scammers make it a headache. Just as a caution to all. If it don't involve the buyer meeting you face to face. With CASH in his fist. Pass on it. My all time favorite was when a guy was dying of cancer. Was going to send his agent with a certified check for 1200 for my 1000 dollar fish finder. I asked what direction this agent coming from. He tells me . Good make it out in his name and have him cash it at one of the many banks he will pass on the way. That's when I got he is dying of cancer yatta yatta yatta.

These guaranteed certified bank drafts always bounce. You can cash at your bank but when they bounce. Guess who is responsible for the money. Tread lightly my friends. Had a friend that fell for one of these hair brained schemes. When I lectured him . I get the but he was so nice. Luckily he was only out 250 but it could have been worse.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

CowDawg

Re: CraigsList Scammers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:24 PM »
lol  been there too.  Exact same stories regarding a little extra in the check for your troubles..  unreal..

Nothing but CASH ONLY...  and meet in a public location..  locals deals only no shipping.  If they really want it they will come.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Did you tell you friend about that Nigerian prince looking to send him some money?

I don't deal with craigslist, but I've had my fair share of BS artist try and pull some scam or another, so I can usually smell the crap coming a mile away.

Like the old saying goes: "If it looks and sounds to good to be true, it usually isn't!"
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:22 AM »
The IRS agent who calls me from India wants me to pay back the government in back taxes in Target gift cards.  Offered to pay with my $5 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card but he didn’t want it.. guess they don’t like donuts in India ..love screwing with those idiots

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:33 AM »
It's gotten worse now they are spoofing phone numbers that match your area code and exchange.  If I don't recognize a number I never answer my phone.  If someone legit needs to get in touch with me they will leave a message.  Unfortunately I have even had scammers leave messages occasionally. Wished there was a way to send some sort of back feed through the phone lines that would cause their phone to explode.
Cheese Head

Offline stevecote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Cash and carry, what's so hard to understand about that.I'M a fabricator for a living and at Christmas I had over 30 offers on a piece I was selling but always the same non-sense.Small business relies on platforms like Craigslist but at what cost or aggrevation ? I'd pay to list what I sell if it would keep out the riff raff.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:08 AM »
I got into an argument with a fella a couple weeks ago looking to fix my computer as it was infected with disastrous viruses... we had quite a long conversation and when I told him I didn't own a computer at all (just my smart phone) he told me to hang up the phone!!!! I told him.. you called me you hang up.. back and forth for 10 min before he hung up!!! Best way to get rid of them is to call them a dude.. boy he didn't like that for some reason.. most hilarious conversation I've ever had with an idiot on the phone

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I got into an argument with a fella a couple weeks ago looking to fix my computer as it was infected with disastrous viruses... we had quite a long conversation and when I told him I didn't own a computer at all (just my smart phone) he told me to hang up the phone!!!! I told him.. you called me you hang up.. back and forth for 10 min before he hung up!!! Best way to get rid of them is to call them a dude.. boy he didn't like that for some reason.. most hilarious conversation I've ever had with an idiot on the phone

Now that's funny!!
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline frozen nostrils

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:23 AM »
As I have gotten older I've come to realize that those infomercial and the phone scams and other scammers of my childhood are still used today.  Why?  Because people will fall for it or they wouldn't do it. I agree with the comment " Can't they come up with anything else?" but why should scammers change? They do it because it works.  Just as it is with people.  They need to be reminded water is wet and fire burns by sticking their hand in.

You can fool SOME of the people ALL the time but you can't fool All the people All the time.  And scammers prey on this concept.

Common sense will prevail!!!!Scammers are a PITA!!

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Scammers try the same Bull$!%# with my email for my catering business. they want to put a big deposit down on an order by credit card and have an agent pick up the order.  Its kinda fun to mess with them some days but mostly its a PITA!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I keep getting calls from what appear to be a local phn #. it's a scammer claiming that I stayed at one of their resorts. I have never stayed in a resort. these people also called out local police station. they gave them a run for their money and they yelled at the cop for wasting their time

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:20 AM »
Same chit on KIJIJI, had a txt from an azz in Nigeria. Will have a shipping company pick up my Evo 2, after payment is made through pay pal.  My answer to him was get freakin' real

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:40 AM »
I went almost all the way with one of these scammers. Had him send me the bogus check and all. Showed it to my Banker who gave a copy to their fraud division.

When the guy kept texting me to ask if the check was cashed yet I told him it was. He wanted instructions as to where to pick up the table saw I was selling. I gave him the address of the Macedon Police Department. He must have been smart enough to check he address. Never heard from him again. I kept sending the number text messages for a week asking when he was coming for the saw.

On the other sid of the coin, I've made numerous legitimate purchases from Craigslist and sold many items. Buyer/seller beware.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:02 AM »
I get calls almost daily from scammers,I worry more about my elderly mother getting scammed.We recently answered a craigslist add,we were in the market to replace one of our red heelers,due to all the news stories of craigslist reputation, my wife and I both carry.I carried open,and my wife carried concealed,the place we arrived at was pretty durn cagey,but all was well, ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I have sold a lot of stuff on CL this year and most big ticket stuff like boats, motors and motorcycles. I could smell a scam from a long way off and usually don't even respond to them. Buyers get as far as in my garage and my wife is right behind the door listening to the entire transaction with a double 12 with 00 buck at the ready. I tried the deal with meeting a buyer away from the house twice and both times were a no show so I don't waste my time and gas with these yahoos. I don't buy much off CL because the few things I went to check out were way different from what the seller claimed in the add and on the phone. A motorcycle with a clear paper work is not just a bill of sale, no title and no deal. Ebay has just as many if not more scammers on it. I recently sold a perfect I phone 5 with all kinds of accessories paid for with Pay Pal. The buyer request to return the phone saying there was something wrong with it. PP gave her her money back from my account and she returned the phone at my expense and nothing I could do about it. When it arrived here I had my buddy video me opening the package and sure enough, she returned the phone and just the phone and she kept the accessories. I sent the video to Ebay and PP and the original money plus they charged her the for the accessories at full value that she kept, more than the whole package sold for and suspended her account for a while. I guess she only wanted the Mofi and charger and the new life proof case plus the bluetooth headset and thought she could get away with that crap.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:59 PM »
I have bought a few things off craigslist, never posted anything on it though so I dont know the scams very good.  I have a question for those that do.  The ones that list a phone number I usually get through fine.
But those with email only, how do you filter the spam?  I ask because I seem to have a tough time getting any kind of response back from a lot of sellers when I inquire.  Im not lowballing offers, just asking a few additional questions about whatever it is.  Am I getting filtered as spam or is it a seller that doesnt much care to reply.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I have bought a few things off craigslist, never posted anything on it though so I dont know the scams very good.  I have a question for those that do.  The ones that list a phone number I usually get through fine.
But those with email only, how do you filter the spam?  I ask because I seem to have a tough time getting any kind of response back from a lot of sellers when I inquire.  Im not lowballing offers, just asking a few additional questions about whatever it is.  Am I getting filtered as spam or is it a seller that doesnt much care to reply.

Quite often the item sells and the seller does not remove the listing or respond to questions. CL adds that list an email should not go to spam because the seller has his email address assigned to the add, you can't see it but CL can and they forward it to him. I get lots of questions from buyers and respond immediately as long as the question seems legit.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.