The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: I am looking to bite the bullet and buy a new electric (battery) auger  (Read 1767 times)

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
I am looking to bite the bullet and buy a new electric (battery) auger. I have used the ION a few times, it's okay. I am currently using a cordless drill and clam plate with a six inch Mora. I am looking to get away from the cordless drill setup. Has anyone used the Strikemaster Lithium 40 or the Jiffy E6 augers? I don't trust the reviews on the factory websites.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Took my Strikemaster Lithium 40V out for the first time this week and I am very pleased.  Cuts as fast as my 22 yr old Lazer Mag with the old Tecumseh TC300 power head.  We cut about 20 holes in 5 inches of ice and the battery still showed full charge and so did the battery charger when we got home.   It is not as heavy as my old one but not as light as I expected.  At 24 lbs easy to move it around but heavy enough to push itself down into the hole.  No problems with pausing or binding.  I like the center bit at the tip of the auger.

Totally happy with the purchase.  The gas auger will now go to my son.  I'm done with it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
My bro in law got a strikemaster 40v 8” auger for xmas.i will try it out Saturday hopefully.i can leave my augers home finally.lol

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
I bought an ion last year..best purchase I made all year last year

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
My vote is the strikemaster, love mine

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My vote is the strikemaster, love mine

X2 if I were  going with a dedicated electric power auger.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Last year was my first year with my ion.
Works well.
I think I would rather have the strikemaster though.
Buddy of mine has one, his came with a spare battery.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought the ion x last year.....I'm too old for 3 feet of ice with my old mora hand auger.  Love it...I move around a lot more now . and only 22 lbs

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
 :tipup:  I haven't found three feet of ice for a long time.
Only 24 lbs.  ???
Dick

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
:tipup:  I haven't found three feet of ice for a long time.
Only 24 lbs.  ???
Dick

Did you fish last winter????
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
I am looking to bite the bullet and buy a new electric (battery) auger. I have used the ION a few times, it's okay. I am currently using a cordless drill and clam plate with a six inch Mora. I am looking to get away from the cordless drill setup. Has anyone used the Strikemaster Lithium 40 or the Jiffy E6 augers? I don't trust the reviews on the factory websites.

Question - why don't you like the clam plate & drill?  I have an older StrikeMaster Electra Lazer 1200; that I was considering selling/upgrading just to reduce weight...

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Frustaci18

• IceShanty Rookie
I own the StrikeMaster 40V.. I took it to Lake Champlain last year. I was drilling 30 holes in 24-30 inches of Ice no problem with battery still left.

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie

Question - why don't you like the clam plate & drill?  I have an older StrikeMaster Electra Lazer 1200; that I was considering selling/upgrading just to reduce weight...

It's not that I don't like the clam plate, it has held up well, but after three years and thousands of holes it is time to upgrade. I want to go with an 8" hole, planning more tip-up fishing with the kids and hoping for less tangle ups with the transducer.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have an Ion x with a 10 inch auger, it will drill about 20 holes in 2 feet of ice.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
3rd season for my 40v strikemaster.

I love it.

Not a single bad thing to say besides weight compared to drill augers.

I dont do anything special,  it stays out of my hub regardless of weather.

Blades are sharp, cuts well, it has never not worked when I needed it to.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you guys for the advice. Last night I ordered the Strikemaster 40v lithium, and can't wait for it to be delivered.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Bought the strike master 40v in 10in last year and have no regrets. The lights are pimpin too. You'll love it..
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thank you guys for the advice. Last night I ordered the Strikemaster 40v lithium, and can't wait for it to be delivered.

Hope you got some goodies/deal ..some offering an extra battery
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bigunit

• IceShanty Rookie
I bought an ION the first year they went on the market.  Thought it was crazy to pay 600$ for an auger.  Well, best purchase I've made for ice fishing....along with my LX7.  Since then, only bought the XC5 battery even if the original is still working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.