The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Central VT Ice  (Read 2107 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Central VT Ice
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Had to test out my new Eskimo pistol so I hit the road this morning in search of ice.

1st stop was Curtis pond. Found about 2.5 inches of ice at launch and what looked like someone had shoveled off a 15x20 area. Unfortunately that action had left snow piled around that area And under the snow was almost no ice.

Next stop Elmore, wind cranking found 5 solid inches at shore but out 30 ft there was a 2.5 ice 2 slush with inch of ice on top. Further out where snow had piled there was 2.5 black ice under slush.

Went to Joes and found similar situation, but middle is wide open.

Marsh res was also sketchy with under 3 inches of ice and a lot of slush and snow on top.

Rain this weekend hopefully will knock the snow back.

Offline jpmVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Central VT Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Thanks for the report! Appreciate it. Curtis is usually my first stop (I'm in Montpelier) so good to know. Have a good one!

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:18 AM »

I too ventured out on the ice yesterday—it was a beautiful day however I want to share a few reminders that usually get overshadowed by Fish fever. This is a PSA from the Dept of Redundancy Dept.  ;)

Let a loved one or friend know where you are going.

Put your ice picks around your neck. They don’t do any good when neatly packed away in your sled or backpack.

Test the ice for yourself. Drill holes as you venture out.

Know a body of water or look at the map to see where tributaries are. Ice thickness will always be less there.

Review “falling through the ice” on YouTube.

Last but not least. Tight lines everyone.
 @)

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Well, there is about 3.5-4” of mealy ice and it’s very sloppy out there.

In accordance to fishing rules 101, I found the honey hole on my very last spot. It’s going to be a great season.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Where were you that you found that much ice?

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I fished Curtis yesterday for a little while. Forgot my flasher at home, and didn’t have any bait, so just jigs and a pack on maki’s Got a few small perch. Ice was 3.5-6 depending on the hole. Most was crap ice, but the thicker spots had a couple inches of nice black ice with junk ice on the top.

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:13 AM »
That’s funny. Keithm87 I was the other dude on Curtis yesterday. Nice to meet you.  @)

Yeah the ice on Curtis has slushy crap ice and the thickness does vary. I ventured out to where it starts to get narrow but stopped there as it seemed thinner.

The weather forecast looks promising this week. Hopefully it will harden the ice to make it feel more comfortable and safer for next weekend.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Nice catch, old chum!
You guys are a little crazy.   ;D  I'm going to wait for another cold snap, and 4 solid inches!

I'm still kayaking (yes I'm crazy too-- in a cozy drysuit).  Browns and salmon are hot on Champlain!  But I'm seriously looking forward to walking on ice and getting some panfish!

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I just finally put the kayaks away for the winter...they'll be back in Champlain as soon as the ice is out, though. Maybe I'll have to check out Curtis...there's nothing around here that's really decent yet.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Did a little scouting yesterday. Hit Curtis first, and found good ice 4-7, only sketchy spot I found was by a downed tree near shore with just under 4. Slow bite but I was also unmotivated so that played into it.

Checked #10 it’s frozen except a tiny patch of open water that a single duck seems to be keeping open. 2.5 at the launch didn’t feel like tempting fate much more.

Nelson seems to be setting up and should be ready for opening of trout next month. Walked out a few feet and it was pretty thin, didn’t drill but I’d guess 2 by how it sounded.

Marsh res off the access had 7-8 consistent out to the middle in front of the launch. Didn’t drop a line, but may pull my wheelhouse over there next weekend if it gets up to 9.

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Does anyone have any intel how Marshfield Dam is during the hardwater season: the overall bite, safety?

I’ve driven past it many times in the winter and rarely see anyone out there.

Fishing reservoirs tend to make me nervous because the local town is drawing water throughout year. I’ve read reports on other reservoirs, that there can be an air space between the ice and water due the fluctuation of the water.
Are there any reports of this at Marshfield Dam?

Thanks.
 @)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:39 PM »
There are some monster pike in marshfield. We got a 41 inch a couple years back. Drink perch for days, but if u set tipups with mediums you can get some nice ones. Pickerel, and smallies as well. Bite for good fish is slow, but the chance for the big one is there. It’s a power dam not a drinking one, they do draw it down though, I checked it last week and then again yesterday, there was a 7 ish inch drop in water that was visible at shore by a layer of suspended ice, but that was over dry ground, and the ice over water was on the water not suspended above it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.