Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 137708 times)

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #240 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Bought an LX5 after reading 15 out of 15 5-star reviews on a major outdoors web site.  I fished with it for the first time yesterday.  All I can say is "Why didn't I buy this years ago?".

It worked great right out of the box.  The SLF feature was awesome in 6-7 feet of water.  I could see the fish coming for my jug and was ready when they hit it.  Far less missed strikes then before.  Also makes it easy to see when there's nothing happening at the hole so you can feel confident in moving sooner.

Can't wait to try it in deeper water.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:36 AM »
The thing I love about my LX-5, (and I'm not sure about the LX-7, LX-9 being digital, at least Jason Mitchell keeps pounding this idea on his show) that I can indeed see how a fish reacts.  I can tell when it turns around and starts bee-lining for my jig just by looking at how the reds/yellows change in a given mark.  I tried explaining this to my wife while she was using it, but she just thinks I'm crazy. 

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #242 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I use the detail it provides the same . Was different at first watching how the marks changed color compared to the blend of the vex which I didn't mind ,It was the thick lines I wanted to get away from. Marcum has fine lines.
Fishin red lines

Offline allpro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:14 AM »
GOT A NEW LX3TC LOVE IT USED IT YESTERDAY FOR THE FIRST TIME ON ONEIDA. WORKED GREAT AND GOT MY LIMIT OF WALLEYES

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #244 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Congrats on both! Did you run marcum before the lx3?
Fishin red lines

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Was in perfect situation today to utilize the adjustable zoom. Suspended crappies in 30ft of water fish stacked up to 15ft. Huge Christmas tree and was great to move zoom and pick off fish high in the school. Great feature!
Fishin red lines

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #246 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:11 PM »
 Just got my LX5 and I have been out with it a few times. Caught a nice Mac with it  that I would not have caught without the flasher. I was able to see him coming and retrieve it to cause the strike. I  am still learning  but I love it so far

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:12 PM »
I love mine....its awesome....the movable zoom is awesome....you can see a size 12 tungsten jig in 50 FOW....

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #248 on: Nov 19, 2013, 03:59 PM »
I can see crawdads on bottom in 50 ft.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Hey ZG-  if your looking for a hard case they have them at Fleetfarm.      http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/fish-finders-underwater-cameras/marcum-ice-flasher-hard-case

Just got my LX-5 tonight, and was wondering how many of you guys are using this case.  Is it any good?  How much protection does it really afford the unit?  Thanks in advance.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Nope never used anything other than what mine came with, I had one of the first year units and just sold itthis last spirng still in perfect working order other than a new battery. I never worry about my flashers when in the shack behind the quad I now run LX-7's and even bounce them off the ice when the fall off the quad or I forget and leave them sit on the seat of the shack when moving....

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:58 PM »
how long is the battery good for
??

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Jan 09, 2014, 06:04 AM »
Do you mean how long does it last while using it or how many years do they last? I have run mine for over 8 hours and still had juice left. If you take care of the battery and charge it after every use and once a month in off season they last 3-5 years more or less.

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #253 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:52 AM »
I ran my battery all day Friday (14 hours) and again on Saturday morning for 3 hours without a charge. I forgot to hook it up Friday night and was actually surprised that it lasted so long. The batteries are good for three or four years using them a couple dozen times a year.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #254 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:19 PM »
A heads up. I just bought a 2nd LX5 from Marine General in Duluth MN Blowout sale brand new in box $415.99 and free shipping. I drove 170 miles round trip and picked it up today. They had 3 or 4 left in stock and I'm not sure how long the sale goes on? I just got my wife into jigging crappie and she took over on my lx5, I had to get another one and couldn't pass up this price. After taxes state and local it was about $445 out the door. I think MN has high sales taxes it probably would have been cheaper to buy on there website but I wanted it now. Still the best price I could find anyplace else, next closest was from Amazon about $472 out the door.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:37 PM »
I got me LX5 last March and loving it.I figure its the best unit in its class.The others tried to talk me into Velar but after research was done it was a no Rainer,LX5

:icefish: SPANKIN GILLS and SPECKS   :icefish:
:icefish: SPANKIN GILLS and SPECKS :icefish:

Offline RobShields

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Dec 22, 2016, 08:54 AM »
love my Lx5, but its onto its 3rd motor in 2 years. got the original motor replaced because of bottom bouncing last year but I put up with it due to being in Canada and it taking approx 3 weeks to get back.

took it on the ice for 45 mins last week, zoom rotated 90 degrees and now screen is stuck in 40ft depth range and doesn't zoom at all with the bottom bouncing.

luckily enough Marcum sent me a free shipping label and I have sent it and il receive it again mid Jan. after a motor replacement and if it has other issues.

because of these issues I went out and bought a Fl-12 as I rarely fish in more then 20ft of water. its such a shame really works great when it works but im going to have a hard time taking it somewhere and trusting it.

I was going to buy a vx-1p but couldn't do it because of the problems ive had.

hopefully when I get it back it will be fine and maybe il just sell both the lx5 and fl-12 and buy myself a lx7 or 9

hope everyone has better luck with theirs

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Bought VX-1 Pro 7+ years ago with ZERO PROBLEMS!!!! Basic with bottom zoom, can't go wrong. Stay safe...........
      Kim :tipup: :icefish: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.