Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 137826 times)

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #180 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Ahhh Haaa, you're right! who needs luck, I have my LX5 now !

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:05 AM »
I ordered mine from Reed's on Sunday & cant wait til it gets in!!!! I didn't receive any tracking # though even after I called for a confirmation. Once again thanks for the info.

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:33 AM »
I ordered mine from Reed's on Sunday & cant wait til it gets in!!!! I didn't receive any tracking # though even after I called for a confirmation. Once again thanks for the info.

Based on when I ordered mine and when I got it, you should have yours today.  Let me know how you like it, I'm gonna try mine out tomorrow !

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #183 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:43 AM »
My unit showed up this week, supposedly new, but my case does have the logo embroidered on the front??  The User Manual states that my unit is 2500W, and the revision Date on the Manual is 9/23/2009.  Nothing appears to have been re-packaged, is there another way to tell if my unit is the 2000W or the 2500W??

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #184 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:41 AM »
My unit showed up this week, supposedly new, but my case does have the logo embroidered on the front??  The User Manual states that my unit is 2500W, and the revision Date on the Manual is 9/23/2009.  Nothing appears to have been re-packaged, is there another way to tell if my unit is the 2000W or the 2500W??

go use it!  ;D

If you see some fair green, then it's the new unit.  The old unit barely even show's green.

New unit comes with epoxied transducer.  Old unit comes with clean plastic bottom on transducer.  Although you can switch transducer...

Open the main unit box!  Look at the mfg date on the card.  Nah, don't go there...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #185 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Well i used my Lx-5 today, it worked great seeing the trout come off botom and hit your lure  ;D  Did some playing around with it to trying it out on really rocky bottom in deep water worked really well better then i thought it would 8) I give the unit two thumbs up.  ;)

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Been using mine quite a bit this season, I have no negative comments. Its been working very well, although I have no previous ice flasher experience to draw a comparison against.

C

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Received mine on Friday, have over 13 hours on it & no complaints.

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:52 AM »
used mine all weekend and it worked great. just wondering if anybody elses does this to, i noticed that  my battery dropped down to 50% using it for about 4-5hrs but when i turned it off it went back up to 100% does everyone elses do the same thing?

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #189 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Yes
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:45 PM »
Thanks

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:34 PM »
sorry Merv, I check mine and its not done that so far in the couple uses.
used mine for the 1st time without the aqua-view (have to ween off it)
and it produced beyond belief. Had non stop color on it and guys next to me not catching
fish as I was because they were suspended and everyone was on the bottom.
I had a crowd around my back watching and now they want one.
After this weekends use, made the confidence level boost and may be lighter
travels with not taking the aqua view... I'll miss it somewhat..

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:18 AM »
Mine does the same thing but I just thought it wasn't fully charged from the factory. I think in the manual it says some thing about the DCS & it jumping around. Good luck & tightlines

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:16 AM »
mine came fully charged from the factory it was at 100% but i guess the new ones do this 10% per hour loss i think they just need to up date the manual and put 10-12 hours instead of 16-20

Fishmon

« Reply #194 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I had same experience with charge level dropping to 50% after 4-5 hrs.  Does not seem to be a problem.  I used it for several hours afterward and it worked fine.  I would agree with the previous post that 10-12 hrs. is reasonable. 

Also, getting better with zoom feature which allows you to see lakers hanging on bottom (and I mean bottom) 90 feet down.  I would have never seen these fish with my Fl-8se.  I am not knocking the Fl-8se; it is a great unit.  However, compared to the lx-5 it is like comparing apples and oranges.  I would use the analogy that the lx-5 has a lot more horsepower and useful features.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:36 AM »
My first season with the LX-5 and I gotta say overall, as a fishing unit, I love it.

However I have a few bones to pick and if any of you guys from Marcum are listening......
This is what I would improve.

The swing arm really isn't good, I like the idea but the material leaves a little to be desired.  One stray dog and SNAP.  Oh well a little epoxy and we are back in business but that was my second day with the thing.

Soft case, again a lot to be desired.  Maybe three times out and the velcro holders started coming off, not cool at all.

Third and final thing....or combination of two things.  Something needs to be done to hold the puck.  two or three times I have had the puck freeze into the holder while moving from spot to spot.  I hate wasting good beer to get my transducer back out so I have been flipping the display horizontally and resting the puck on the display.  Whoever else has marcums DO NOT DO THAT, if you do you will pay.  Yesterday  I was checking out our first hole turned it on and the whole fricken display started to spin.  The numbers and everything about 90 miles an hour spinning around in side my unit.  $450 and fifty dollars and this is what I am getting.  Turns out from having my puck on there it must have bounced enough going across the ice to break the seal of the cover plate on the actual flasher itself.  It would have been an easy fix but Marcum used the smallest allen wrench known to man to lock on the gain and depth knobs so you cant gain access to the plate itself with normal tools.  I still caught some fish but I don't want to fish without my sonar when I have a sonar.  Again $450 and only used for 1/2 a season and all of these problems.  I owned a vex before this and never in three years had ANY problems, and it was second hand.  Its just like anything I guess everything has strength and weaknesses so to all the engineers at Marcum you have a superior product so go out and actually fish with it and work the bugs out
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #196 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:59 AM »
My first season with the LX-5 and I gotta say overall, as a fishing unit, I love it.

However I have a few bones to pick and if any of you guys from Marcum are listening......
This is what I would improve.

The swing arm really isn't good, I like the idea but the material leaves a little to be desired.  One stray dog and SNAP.  Oh well a little epoxy and we are back in business but that was my second day with the thing.

Soft case, again a lot to be desired.  Maybe three times out and the velcro holders started coming off, not cool at all.

Third and final thing....or combination of two things.  Something needs to be done to hold the puck.  two or three times I have had the puck freeze into the holder while moving from spot to spot.  I hate wasting good beer to get my transducer back out so I have been flipping the display horizontally and resting the puck on the display.  Whoever else has marcums DO NOT DO THAT, if you do you will pay.  Yesterday  I was checking out our first hole turned it on and the whole fricken display started to spin.  The numbers and everything about 90 miles an hour spinning around in side my unit.  $450 and fifty dollars and this is what I am getting.  Turns out from having my puck on there it must have bounced enough going across the ice to break the seal of the cover plate on the actual flasher itself.  It would have been an easy fix but Marcum used the smallest allen wrench known to man to lock on the gain and depth knobs so you cant gain access to the plate itself with normal tools.  I still caught some fish but I don't want to fish without my sonar when I have a sonar.  Again $450 and only used for 1/2 a season and all of these problems.  I owned a vex before this and never in three years had ANY problems, and it was second hand.  Its just like anything I guess everything has strength and weaknesses so to all the engineers at Marcum you have a superior product so go out and actually fish with it and work the bugs out

Huh - I've had mine for three + years now and have not experienced one of your stated problems (except the freezing of the puck in the base). Now I just dry the puck off before putting it into the base, I carry a hand towel anyways.

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:30 PM »
just undo the bolt of the swing arm, buy a vex float or insulating foam for pipes, and make a stopper(i use a twist tie that can slide easily up and down to adjust for ice thickness)  and your in business without that stupid swing arm

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Yeah, the swing arm has to go.  My little epoxy job lasted about 45 seconds today.  I was able to fix the display with epoxy and it shouldn't be going anywhere. 

For the record, in case anybody got the wrong idea, I LOVE my marcum.......just had a few bad experiences that chapped my hide.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #199 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:27 PM »
 ;D ;D Sounds like a love hate relationship...  ;D ;D

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Feb 27, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I always have a hand towel with me because when I pull up my aqua view, I am wiping down the cord as I do, so I always wipe down the LX-5 transducer & cord as well, so my pucking sticking is very minimum. I like the swing arm personally, I keep the unit toward my right hole then the cord is right up against the hole at 9 o'clock and the puck is just under the ice so I may get 1 to 2 fish a day caught in the cord when reeling up.

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:11 PM »
well I have another weekend under my belt with the lx-5 caught two nice lakers and some perch and i wasnt really trying to catch them the perch that is lol I caught them on my spoon that was twice there size and have no idea how they got the hook in there mouths lol, anyways the lx-5 did its job today marking the lake trout and catching them cause i was the only one that caught fish all weekend. its been real slow fishing the past couple of weeks the fish have not been biting, if it was not for the flasher i would not have got the fish this weekend I would have been like every one else skunked. My battery today was way better then it has been, it was dropping about 10% and hour but today after the third charge it only dropped 20% for 6hrs of fishing which is really good so lets hope it stays like that. But i did have one glitch today with it but it only did it twice in a row for about two seconds total the bottom and my hook shifted about 1-4 ft up and down so i will be keeping an eye on that to see if it does it again.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Sep 10, 2010, 12:07 PM »
i FIANLLY broke down and purchased a flasher...After much hemming and hawing it was the Marcum lx-5 and i cant wait to get it!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #203 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:45 PM »
i FIANLLY broke down and purchased a flasher...After much hemming and hawing it was the Marcum lx-5 and i cant wait to get it!

I upgraded from an older LX-3 last season, I am glad I did.  It is a world of difference.  The LX-5 is fun to use, you'll have a blast. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #204 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:19 PM »

I think you're just building up.  ;D Guard it well and treat it well.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #205 on: Sep 18, 2010, 02:06 AM »
came in the mail today....SWEET!  Alright hardwater, lets go!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #206 on: Sep 18, 2010, 07:14 AM »
came in the mail today....SWEET!  Alright hardwater, lets go!!!

Awesome piece of equipment.  You will enjoy it.  My LX5 changed my life, as far as ice-fishing goes ;D

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Oct 02, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Awesome piece of equipment.  You will enjoy it.  My LX5 changed my life, as far as ice-fishing goes ;D

Ditto Brother, I'll be getting a second one this season cause my boys are hoggin my LX-5 everytime we hit the ice!!! :tipup:
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #208 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:46 PM »
The 5 is an awesome unit, especially when you're fishing close too buddies.  They hate when I'm around because the unit takes care of the problem with interference.....it drowns them out....If you don't have a 5 get a 5......I love mine. 

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Has anyone used the Showdown "Ice Stroller", and if so, how did it perform?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.