Author Topic: My best friend was hit by a snowmobile on Big Bay DeNoc Michigan today.  (Read 14623 times)

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
If I was the guy driving the snowmobile I would ask for a jury trial, you liable to get someone like this guy to help you out !

yes we understand you have the victim party's side of the story.  and you are their friend so of course you are going to believe them. we   don't' know them from adam, and to most,  something doesn't add up.  what we hear is a guy for no reason ran over your buddy.  thats it.   it doesn't make sense.

He not only has great insight about the situation but also know how everyone else observes the situation. Wow.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
The issue here is that someone would do such a thing. No matter what actually happened, someone actually used the snowmobile as a weapon. Although I have heard the same exact story from several of the close friends of Parker and the same story was posted on facebook the day it happened. Last year I had a guy come after my friends on snowmobiles on Big Breevort lake, and then after me screaming while I was walking behind just because they cut through the same area of someones tip-ups, which were A) Crossing the mouth of the bay, and B) way to far away from the shanty to be considered legal. They backed off Im sure because they seen I was a woman and told me I better watch out or next time it would be more serious after I explained to the guy that I was sure it was only an accident (not wanting to get into a confrontation with the guy). If you want to comment about the legitamacy of the story take it to another forum, whats more important was that the snowmobile was used to physically harm this person, and that the guy got a away with it, and to bring awareness to the ice fishing public.  :tipup:
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
Well freak, you obviously have a very limited understanding of physics. If the snowmobile had been at a stand still and the guy lunged forward from a short distance The sled would not have shattered both of his legs. Again he has a double compound fracture of his tibia and fibula in his left leg, and a straight break of the tibia in the right leg. These injuries resulted in two rods and screws in the left and a rod and srews also in the right.

On another note I am sitting in his room right now talking to him and showing him your posts, just to clear it up he once again sais the man ran over his tip up, he yelled at him and the man turned around accellerated and hit him. His girlfriend is also here and she once again agrees. I feel like theres an echo in this forum since I seem to keep seeing the same story over and over, from the people who were there. Yes I was not there, but since I am sitting in the same room as both of them right now, and they are watching me type this, I would say I count as good source of info for you guys.

I hope that this post can now continue to accomplish what I intended it for. If you have something to say to Parker please by all means post. However if you plan to soak up the medias poorly collected information, please hold off on the negative posts.

I am sorry for any speculation and the intent of my post was not to knock Parker. Tell him I hope he gets well and everyone else please take my idiotic anecdote as exactly that. I wasn't their and I wasn't involved. I did not have anything but media to go from and they do often twist stories. I simply gave my point of view on the information that has been provided. Some of it the media and or police said came from Parker himself (right or wrong). If it were a friend of mine, myself or a family member I would probably not appreciate false speculation. For that I do apologize sincerely. I was trying to paint a mental picture the most logical way possible. The event the way you told it is very hard to visualize. No motive no conflict just straight negligence followed by a u turn then a speedy attempted murder. Many psychopaths are out their so It may have happened just like that. It is just a stretch for the imagination so I stretched it to mold a logical situation. Please dont take my speculation to heart because that is all it is. I was trying to piece together a puzzle. I dont want to be burned for comments especially because I am on your side. I would prosecute this guy to the fullest even if I believed that Parker wronged him first. No excuses for what happened. I hope he gets attempted murder. If this guy has children I dont want him raising them. You know what I mean? The last thing we need is more Idiots with no regard for human life.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
People are making me feel as if I over stepped my bounds on this one. I may have and again I'm sorry. Please dont use this to judge my character. I was only piecing a puzzle. I feel for Parker. I did not mean it to be a negative post. If requested I will remove my first post but not to hide from what I said just to show courtesy because it rubbed a few the wrong way. Sorry again I truly feel bad for stirring the pot here.

Too much CSI and Law and Order for me.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
The thing is I can believe Parkers story because we had a knuckle head in our area that did something similar with his truck and got away with MURDER for about 6 years. The truck killing he was getting away with resurfaced when he and his brother ran down some deer with their snowmobiles and killed them. The state had to step in on the case with the human victim because the local authorities were letting him get away with murder. Here are the links.

http://www.waupacanow.com/courts/134707533.html - The deer case

http://www.waupacanow.com/courts/109062479.html - The human case

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
People are making me feel as if I over stepped my bounds on this one. I may have and again I'm sorry. Please dont use this to judge my character. I was only piecing a puzzle. I feel for Parker. I did not mean it to be a negative post. If requested I will remove my first post but not to hide from what I said just to show courtesy because it rubbed a few the wrong way. Sorry again I truly feel bad for stirring the pot here.

Too much CSI and Law and Order for me.

This happens when people speculate

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks

we'd love to go find this cretin on the ice for ya.
maybe, leave him UNDER the ice

Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline kmonty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yeah Eh!
The last thing we need is more Idiots with no regard for human life.

Amen! And your right Freak, we did over judge your statements as well as others. And fully understand why, because there are always two tales to each side. And everyone here is letting their anger get out of control, due to the pure lack of respect towards one of our fellow sportsman. The guy will be caught one day and heald accountable. Till then, let us just all worry about Parker making a full recovery, and the law enforcement actually doing their job, and bring this criminal down.
Yooper!

In daa beginning der was nuttin.. Den on da first day god created da U.P. On da second day he created da partridge, da deer, da bear, da fish, and da duck. On da turd day he said let der be Yoopers to roam da U.P eh. On da forth day he created da udder world below!!

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
I think what people are failing to realize is that this isn't a movie. It doesn't have to make sense. We didn't pay a price for admission so it's not as if things have to add up or we will be upset.

It's 2012 and the world is a funny and cruel place at times. Are people to believe that there isn't some crazy reckless young 20 something who wouldn't just run down some person to further his power trip and feeling of deity status? I know it's not logical, but in the world today, there is a very good chance that is exactly what happened. It doesn't always make sense. Look at all the evil things people are capable of.

No one will know for sure, but at this point a victim is badly injured and should be getting the benefit of the doubt I would think.

Speedy recovery Parker.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If I was the guy driving the snowmobile I would ask for a jury trial, you liable to get someone like this guy to help you out !

yes we understand you have the victim party's side of the story.  and you are their friend so of course you are going to believe them. we   don't' know them from adam, and to most,  something doesn't add up.  what we hear is a guy for no reason ran over your buddy.  thats it.   it doesn't make sense.

He not only has great insight about the situation but also know how everyone else observes the situation. Wow.

BOB

thanks!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac

we'd love to go find this cretin on the ice for ya.
maybe, leave him UNDER the ice

(Image removed from quote.)

lol.

Offline YumYum

• IceShanty Rookie
I was the passenger in a buddy's boat once when another buddy backed his boat right into us.

If you ask me and the passenger in the other boat what happened you get a significantly similar set of facts from each of us.

If you ask each of us why it happened and/or how it came about, you get TWO very DIFFERENT stories.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
This past summer in Utah, three guys in a boat ran over a woman who was swimming across the lake.  There is an area that is protected for swimming, but it doesn't go completely across the lake.  They knew that they had hit something.  They went back and apparently talked with her.  They left her in the lake to die.  Pretty damned cold if ya ask me.  They had been drinking and smoking pot.  It wasn't malicious.  They didn't mean to run her over, but they were afraid to face up to the consequences of their actions.  It took a while before the facts came to light.  But someone knows what happened, and hopefully they have a conscience, and they will want to see things made right.

Best wishes for Parker.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i imagine the dude was probable plastered.  thats usually how these stories go.

Offline YumYum

• IceShanty Rookie
Not trying to say anyone is being dishonest or inaccurate
Just that different perspectives of the same situation can be quite divergent

That being said, the only possible justification for a snowmobiler in this situation would be self defense (if the snowmobiler were in  jeopardy of death or threatened with significant physical danger from another)
AND so far there is NOTHING to suggest that this was the case for the snowmobiler in this incident

Hopefully legal proceedings will flush out the facts as much as possible; although I realize all too frequently this doesn't happen   

Bottom line regardless of all else; Praying for Parker's recovery

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow, lot's of armchair detectives chiming in here with limited information...

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, other than a fellow sportsman was badly injured.  Here's to a speedy recovery and swift justice.
Prayin' for cold

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
there is always a bad apple in the crowd that shines a bad light on a group of people in this case ice fisherman.

A snowmobiler hit an ice fisherman so this puts a bad light on us fishermen?? How'd you deduce that one??
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
A snowmobiler hit an ice fisherman so this puts a bad light on us fishermen?? How'd you deduce that one??

To your point I should not have made that assumption and I apologize for that. The story just enraged me so much and I should not have assumed the person on the machine was an ice fisherman. That was a bad assumption on my part and in this case I appreciate you correcting me.

It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
No prob. I did not assume the driver fished at all.

A respectable icefisherman would offer a replacement trap of equal or greater value than the one he ran over, not ram into the guy who's trap he busted...  >:(
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
the driver of the sled ran over to guy. I don't care what was said or what happened in the past. wrong just wrong
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Its kind of crazy how this post changed from in the beginning to where it is now. In the beginning everyone was expressing there thoughts for Parker then it went to people assuming Parker had more to do with it than was said by his best friend. There were even a few that sounded like they were sticking up for the guy on the snowmobile.(crazy!) None of us were there so lets put Parker in our thoughts and prayers because no matter what Parker did or didn't do he DID NOT deserve to be run over. Parker you are in my families thoughts and prayers we all hope you make a quick and full recovery and get back out on the ice!
 The Sandman's

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
If the guy on the snowmobile felt threatened,he could of just driven away. If he thought that his life was in danger and had to use the machine as self defense don't you think he would have notified enforcement immediately to get his version out first instead of hiding? People are saying things "don't  make sense, more to the story, etc". Why? Watch any news broadcast and you can see how messed up some people are. I hope your buddy get's well soon and justice is served.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow, lot's of armchair detectives chiming in here with limited information...

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, other than a fellow sportsman was badly injured.  Here's to a speedy recovery and swift justice.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
 The only time a man should physically hurt another man is when his own life or the life of another is threatened.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
The first time I read this story I got a mental image of a snowmobiler running over a tip-up and the icefisherman coming out of his shanty yelling and cussing at the snowmobiler, the snowmobile turns around and the driver says to the passenger "watch me scare the crap out of this guy" and guns the snowmobile and heads straight for the fisherman expecting him to jump out of the way in a game of "chicken"... well the fisherman doesn't jump out of the way and there's no way for the sled to miss him at the last second and the fisherman gets hit and injured and the sled rider takes off scared to death.

This may be completely different from what actually happened, but it's the mental picture I have of what happened.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
GCD, does it matter if he moved or not? Is it not the responsibility of the operator to be aiming the machine in a direction as not to harm someone/shatter both of their lower legs?
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
Remember the thread on "do you carry on the ice"? Would have been a good time to be packin'
Get bit!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
GCD, does it matter if he moved or not? Is it not the responsibility of the operator to be aiming the machine in a direction as not to harm someone/shatter both of their lower legs?

No, the fisherman shouldn't have to jump out of the way of a speeding sled to save himself from injury, and yes the sled operator is at fault and liable for damages.

I thought it was quite obvious the sledder was operating his machine in a wreckless and dangerous manner and don't understand why he hasn't been charged with the laws that he broke.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline MikeInMI

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm bummed to hear about this and I hope they catch those resposible.  I hope your buddy is able to recover OK from this.

I've had a few close calls on Houghton Lake in MI.   I've done enough snowmobiling here to know that there are a lot of people out there that bar hop on their sleds.  That is why I quit, it was getting way to dangerous out there on the trails.
I do many things well...none of which generate income.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
No, the fisherman shouldn't have to jump out of the way of a speeding sled to save himself from injury, and yes the sled operator is at fault and liable for damages.

I thought it was quite obvious the sledder was operating his machine in a wreckless and dangerous manner and don't understand why he hasn't been charged with the laws that he broke.

Don't let anyone tell you that they didn't think this out too. We are human and when we hear a story our brains automatically put the pieces together. If we didn't we would show no emotion toward anything. Some people hear what they want like "broken legs". Others hear it all. Selective hearing or reading in this case leads to others thinking that by not giving an opinion they are better. To those people I say, who's judging based on whats been written now? The fact that you commented on the entire situation instead of just the "broken legs part doesn't make self righteous people better than you. You were just expressing your thoughts just like they are toward your writing. WHAT A PICKLE HUH? How come painting pictures of a man who posted in a negative light is acceptable but it is not of an incident on the ice? Some people need to grow up and quit thinking they are better than others when nobody has expressed negative feelings toward Parker himself at all. What is it they are really trying to defend?

Get well soon Parker and the condemnation of the snowmobiler have always been at the forefront of every message regardless of the speculation portrayed of the incident. Some speculate and strive to know more. Free thinking is a good thing. Some sit and either accept or rebuke others opinions with no thoughts of their own. I say giving your overview/opinion of a situation is less condemning than the direct negativity received from that overview/opinion. That's just my opinion. What say you haters?

I previously apologized for my original post but now I'm defending all of those who gave an opinion of what they think may have happened. These opinions were all prefaced by, built in or followed by compassion for Parker and disdain for the snowmobiler. Its ridiculous that people are personally attacked for trying to make better sense of a public situation. I am disgusted by the level of self righteous ego displayed by way of hypocritical garbage. Nobody but the snowmobiler attacked Parker. 

This is my opinion and my other opinion is that this thread be moved to avoid future conflict.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.