Author Topic: Walleye Rigging  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye Rigging
« on: Jul 18, 2009, 08:12 PM »
I've never actually rigged a tip up for walleyes....the water we fish has northerns and walleyes....both run on the big side.  I know a majority, if not all, will use live bait...my question is how do you rig it?

Typically we would use large smelt on homemade quick strike rigs.  With live bait, do you use a single hook....what are your thoughts?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walleye Rigging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I rig a 3 foot mono leader and #8 treble with a sucker minnow, hooked just below the dorsal fin. clip off most of the tail with your thumb so it doesn't swim very well. put it about foot or a little less off the bottom.
most of my walleyes come in the range of 15 to 19 inches.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:14 AM »
I hook the minnow in the dorsal fin as well. I also use a windlass tip-up as I perfer the jigging motion. I like to use bucksot spoon with 1inch dropper.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I hook the minnow in the dorsal fin, but my hooks are really small.

I use #12 hooks and a florocarbon leader,  usually about 3 feet long.

If I'm fishing in stained water, I usually put on a couple of glow beads, and fish 1 to 2 feet off bottom.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I tie a swivel on the end of tipup line then add about a foot of the braided line and tie on a swedish pimple no trouble hook, then I tie on a foot of 10 or 12 lb monofiliment line to a hook. Size of hook your choice. I hook minnow thru the eyes. I keep minnow about 1 to 2 ft off the bottom. Just the way I do it, works fer me. I am experimenting with how I hook the minnow. The pimple gives you just a bit of weight you need. I dont have pike in my area or at least not many, I use this for mainly walleye. I do get a few bass on it tho.....
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I tie a swivel on the end of tipup line then add about a foot of the braided line and tie on a swedish pimple no trouble hook, then I tie on a foot of 10 or 12 lb monofiliment line to a hook. Size of hook your choice. I hook minnow thru the eyes. I keep minnow about 1 to 2 ft off the bottom. Just the way I do it, works fer me. I am experimenting with how I hook the minnow. The pimple gives you just a bit of weight you need. I dont have pike in my area or at least not many, I use this for mainly walleye. I do get a few bass on it tho.....
you wast that much money on a weight? i just buy split shots, you get like 120 of them for a buck, or a spoon for 3 bucks you do the math. ???
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline Get Hooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:19 PM »
you wast that much money on a weight? i just buy split shots, you get like 120 of them for a buck, or a spoon for 3 bucks you do the math. ???

i believe the pimple is being used as an attractent.
Get your nets wet. Big fish dont get landed by hand ya know...cept bass

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:19 AM »
i believe the pimple is being used as an attractant.
no doubt, but i dont think they will be any less affective with out the pimple. way better if you jig them just my 2 cents. not trying to piss anybody off.
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:21 AM »
2-3 feet of mono or flouro with a size 6 or 8 trebble hook. glow beads can help as well ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.