Author Topic: Electronics Showdown vs vexilar  (Read 7691 times)

Offline icecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Electronics Showdown vs vexilar
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Intrested in buying a new fish finder. Only want to this one time, so I'm asking anyone of my fishing buddies on how to rate the new Showdown fish finder to the vexilar. Thanking everyone in advance for your help.  The ICECAT......

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Electronics Showdown vs vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:52 PM »
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:01 PM »
no offense to the people that have a Showdown but, I recommend a vexilar. I've had mine for awhile now and never had a problem with it. I haven't heard as many good things about the Showdown. Both are a good product and cant go wrong with either
First time ever having a good day!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I keep hearing people say that you have to pay for upgrades on a showdown.  I own a vex and love it.  I have heard good things about the marcums as well.  Good luck on your search, anything you get will help.

Offline jdenmanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:25 PM »
HUMMINGBIRD ICE55    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:37 AM »
you can't go wrong with a marcum vex or lowrance,i'v heard people complaining about the showdown,my buddy sent his back and bought a lowrance he really didn't like the gray scale

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:05 AM »
I only know one guy personally who uses a Showdown and he sold after a weekend on the ice with guys using a Vex and/or Humminbird.

It like compairing you B&W TV to a HD PlasmaTV

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I have a fl-18 and a showdown. I've had the vex for 7 years but wanted to try the newer technology in the showdown. Personally, i've found them both to do the same thing and they both do it well. If you're looking for dis-advantages, you wont find any. The showdown has better battery life but thats it. The showdown does have an advantage over the fl-8 tho, as that model doesn't have a zoom mode. I say, get the model that you can afford and go with it. Everybody thinks that what they spent their money on is the best but truth be told, they're all going to help improve your catch rate. FORD, CHEVY, DODGE, TOYOTA....... whichever model you can afford is the best one for you. Get the one in your price range and learn to use it and go catch some fish.

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:48 PM »
I have a fl-18 and a showdown. I've had the vex for 7 years but wanted to try the newer technology in the showdown. Personally, i've found them both to do the same thing and they both do it well. If you're looking for dis-advantages, you wont find any. The showdown has better battery life but thats it. The showdown does have an advantage over the fl-8 tho, as that model doesn't have a zoom mode. I say, get the model that you can afford and go with it. Everybody thinks that what they spent their money on is the best but truth be told, they're all going to help improve your catch rate. FORD, CHEVY, DODGE, TOYOTA....... whichever model you can afford is the best one for you. Get the one in your price range and learn to use it and go catch some fish.

On no now you did it!! be careful ..all of the Vex users are going to hunt you down and flog you for saying something good about the Showdown!   ;D

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:00 PM »
I only know one guy personally who uses a Showdown and he sold after a weekend on the ice with guys using a Vex and/or Humminbird.

It like compairing you B&W TV to a HD PlasmaTV

And were back to the pretty colors!  What is the obsession with the colors?!?  Showdown has a .250 of inch separation... Marc or Vex do NOT have this small of separation. This to me is way more improtant than all of the pretty colors... ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:58 PM »
It's like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate.  It is all personal preferance.  Marcum, Vexilar, Showdown, Hummingbird, and Lowrance are all quality products.  I own a Vexilar flasher and a Marcum camera.  Read about each brand and figure out which one will fit your needs.  

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:42 PM »
i have the lowrance x67c ice machine in the cabelas package.  i absolutely love it,  i can see my jig in the deepest water and all fish that come through are easily seen.  i can bop them right it the head with my jig if i want to.  i have never used a flasher before and dont think i ever would after using my machine.  but some people swear by the flashers.  good luck

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I'm an old coot and I have used flashers for many years and I'm used to the way they work. I do have LCD graphs in my boats though. When I need to buy another unit for ice fishing, I don't know what I will go with. I would say that with a flasher type sonar, using colors is the way to go. Figure out which you want to use and go for it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:52 AM »
I've used them all and currently have an x67 ice macine. I will honestly say my buddys Vex works much better than mine. The x67 works good ..but if the transducers cable gets a little bent I can't find my lure this has happened several times ...and I've tried it with a float of styrafoam and it kinks sideways. It is an okay product but to be honest the Vex rules.

Now I will wait for the hate mail lol

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:55 AM »
I currently have a showdown, I didn't think too much of it at first, but learning to use it properly it is incredibly detailed in what it shows you under the ice, using the heater feature I found out you have to turn your gain down quite a bit or the screen becomes too cluttered, that is where I started to see just how accurate it is, it's keeps the screen speed up to real time.

skipper
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline 2Bonthewater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you OnTheHardWater
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:56 AM »
I wrote a very long reply.......and it went POOF....... :%$#!:

so, I bought a SHOWDOWN this year........

Absolutely love it

There was some talk on the fish erie website about the SHOWDOWN

I have had a few folks told me they had purchased one and loved it.....

as with anything, it is personal preference.........I never fished with a fish finder before, so I have no loyalty to any brand or type......I was told to not buy the SHOWDOWN and that the only thing to buy was a vex....

It does what I want a fish finder to do.....and it is simple to operate

Finds bottom
Marks fish
Marks my jig
Zoom feature is awesome

If anyone has questions about the unit, feel free to send me a PM.......I'll do my best to answer

while doing my research and asking advice......I was deadset on a Lowrance Ice Machine X67C
but I opted for simple........

I have really taken a liking to the showdown unit from day one..........my kids really like it.......and I have had many folks ask on the ice what is that........or what is so darn funny.........I giggle alot when I mark and catch a fish !!!   I just find it absolutely amazing that I can mark fish, put my jig right on the fish and catch him....although, there are plenty of sniffers out there......but as of now, at least I know the sniffers are there

See you OnTheHardWater

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:58 AM »
And were back to the pretty colors!  What is the obsession with the colors?!?  Showdown has a .250 of inch separation... Marc or Vex do NOT have this small of separation.
that's great but you miss the real difference. Marcum .75" of target separation is with REAL optical zoom. Digital zoom, that the Showdown and Vexilar have just merley blows up the standard view with no increase in target/area detail. Showdown is the same as taking your drivers license photo in front of you and bringing it towards your nose. The picture detail never improves ......it's still the same fuzzy picture of you. The patented OPTICAL zoom on a Marcum is TRUE zoom with an increase of the detail of the targeted fish, target separation, and water column similar to how optical zoom works on a camera. I can take an old baseball card and hold it .000000034" from my eye but the detail never changes .........this is the zoom the showdown uses. Bring your hand towards your face and the detail of every line increases .......... this is optical zoom. Google it, The Marcums TRUE zoom is superior .....
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:38 AM »
that's great but you miss the real difference. Marcum .75" of target separation is with REAL optical zoom. Digital zoom, that the Showdown and Vexilar have just merley blows up the standard view with no increase in target/area detail. Showdown is the same as taking your drivers license photo in front of you and bringing it towards your nose. The picture detail never improves ......it's still the same fuzzy picture of you. The patented OPTICAL zoom on a Marcum is TRUE zoom with an increase of the detail of the targeted fish, target separation, and water column similar to how optical zoom works on a camera. I can take an old baseball card and hold it .000000034" from my eye but the detail never changes .........this is the zoom the showdown uses. Bring your hand towards your face and the detail of every line increases .......... this is optical zoom. Google it, The Marcums TRUE zoom is superior .....
Who cares? I dont fish water deeper than 25ft and the zoom on my showdown does the job just fine. Argue all you want about your LEXUS. My Ford gets the job done just as well for me. ;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Never fished next to a Showdown but as Junior stated the Zoom difference between a Marcum and Vex does make a difference, I fish next to a FL-20 and my LX markes fish the 20 will not. Before you all jump on me we fish gin clear water and can see a minnow hugging bottom at 20 feet. BTW my LX will show those to.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Who cares? I dont fish water deeper than 25ft and the zoom on my showdown does the job just fine. Argue all you want about your LEXUS. My Ford gets the job done just as well for me. ;D
The misinformed or uninformed may ...... VHS detail or Blu-Ray detail .......no difference. :)
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:00 PM »

showdown= 1/2 in. seperation, standered and zoom mode,$280
LX5= 3/4 in. seperation, zoom mode only, $500

I'm not saying any thing bad about marcum, in fact I wouldn't mind having one, but if your going to gloat over how much better your seperation and zoom feature is compared to the showdown, it has to actually be better,
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:55 PM »
that's great but you miss the real difference. Marcum .75" of target separation is with REAL optical zoom. Digital zoom, that the Showdown and Vexilar have just merley blows up the standard view with no increase in target/area detail. Showdown is the same as taking your drivers license photo in front of you and bringing it towards your nose. The picture detail never improves ......it's still the same fuzzy picture of you.

Hold on there for a second...  The Showdown is a graph, hence a DIGITAL image.  You are talking about optical zoom on an old 110 film camera and comparing it to a 10 megapixel digital camera with a digital zoom.  Think about it... 

Jim

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Love my Showdown, when it works. Bought the unit last year and within the first week the wiring for the fuse holder pulls out. No biggie, I go to Radio Shack and buy a new fuse holder.This year the unit started acting up. Some times the depth goes squirrely by just flashing 236ft sometimes not. Then one day day the unit reads 236ft again but will not shut off. It seems the ribbon for the printed board works loose. This means I have to pull the face plate and push the ribbon back in. Now this is starting to tick me off. To make a long story short I waiting for my Marcum LX-5 to arrive! I hope Marcum builds them better than Showdown since they are both handled by the same Co.

Icepants

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:18 PM »
$500 for a LX??? Your getting shafted since many were selling them for $399 all season, most you should have to spend s $440, and worth every penny. Come resell time you'll lose 50% on the Showdown or more the LX 15-25%.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Love my Showdown, when it works. Bought the unit last year and within the first week the wiring for the fuse holder pulls out.

Icepants

Was that back when Nature Vision owned Showdown?

Jim

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Untill fall 2009 Nature Vision owned the Showdown, now Versa Electronics owns them.

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Was that back when Nature Vision owned Showdown

Yes this a Nature View unit.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:31 PM »
$500 for a LX??? Your getting shafted since many were selling them for $399 all season, most you should have to spend s $440, and worth every penny. Come resell time you'll lose 50% on the Showdown or more the LX 15-25%.

Sorry bout that, I thought for an lx1 it started at $300 and every time you jumped up a model the price went up a hundred as well, I'm going to take your word on this one,
But i'm sticking to the other stuff I said, is the showdown the perfect unit, no, by no means is it close to perfect, just some thing to give me an edge while I wait for new technology to come down and for me to raise some money in order to buy something with a little more substance, the only way I would stick with the showdown long term would be for them to come up with a split screen zoom and maybe if i'm in the mood a little bit of color would be nice too, but i don't think either one of those is possible without completly changing the unit,and when it comes time and dad stops saying that using sonar is cheating, I'll let him have the showdown.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline 2Bonthewater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you OnTheHardWater
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:57 AM »
Marcum has something to do with the SHOWDOWN unit

not picking a fight, cause a vex vs. the showdown or any other unit is pretty funny......

I have never fished any type of fish finder, my first was the SHOWDOWN and I love it......so far, so good.....

as stated prior it does everything I need it to do.......

I won't worry about comparing units until the day comes when a fish finder (not a camera) can tell me the species of fish, exact size of the fish, and what it might eat.......

They all show a blip, a line........that something other than my jig is down there......and so far with the SHOWDOWN.....if I see a line other than my jig, I move my jig up or down to meet the line....and usually can get a fish......

I like it, my kids like it........and that is what counts......I fish vertically......it provides a vertical display as to what is going on beneath me

everyone I have shared it with or showed it to has liked it.......it is simple and functional....

can't we all just get along? :roflmao:

no matter what......somebody will like something, somebody will hate something........that won't ever change
See you OnTheHardWater

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Marcum has something to do with the SHOWDOWN unit

not picking a fight, cause a vex vs. the showdown or any other unit is pretty funny......

I have never fished any type of fish finder, my first was the SHOWDOWN and I love it......so far, so good.....

as stated prior it does everything I need it to do.......

I won't worry about comparing units until the day comes when a fish finder (not a camera) can tell me the species of fish, exact size of the fish, and what it might eat.......

They all show a blip, a line........that something other than my jig is down there......and so far with the SHOWDOWN.....if I see a line other than my jig, I move my jig up or down to meet the line....and usually can get a fish......

I like it, my kids like it........and that is what counts......I fish vertically......it provides a vertical display as to what is going on beneath me

everyone I have shared it with or showed it to has liked it.......it is simple and functional....

can't we all just get along? :roflmao:

no matter what......somebody will like something, somebody will hate something........that won't ever change

I've Got and FL 20 5th anv. eddition vex that cost $550, and a showdown. Both do what is advertised. The split zoom is nice on the FL 20 not sure it's worth $275 more though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.