Author Topic: Swivels for panfishing?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
Swivels for panfishing?
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I am mainly a walleye fisherman, getting back into the panfishing. I was wondering who uses them and what size? It seems like it would help against jig spin?

Offline BlackRhino

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Swivels for panfishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Anybody????

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I use them, I cant recall the size off the top of my head, but it is tiny, so tiny it is hard to tie them. I use them mostly to stop spin and as a super easy way to attached a leader to  my braid.

the ones I bought this year dont have a number, but are branded XXXS and 4XS

Offline AlanC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 01:18 PM »
The steelhead crowd uses tiny swivels like the Ravens pictured above or Blackbirds which Dick's Sporting Goods carries. This site http://centerpinangling.com/swivels.html shows size comparisons. I have some Invisa Swivels that I need to try sometime.

Swivels are great for attaching a leader and when using spoons or lures that'll twist the line. For jigging little jigs, swivels might hinder the action.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Swivels/splitshot chasing Pannies? If you like false hits use them. They like to suck on them if not on the feed, they'll bypass your meaty/plastic offering and simply taste those little things. OK for spoons/Raps chasing bigger Pannies and at night. Daylight and I suggest staying away from them, line twist isn't that big a problem if at all

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Swivels/splitshot chasing Pannies? If you like false hits use them. They like to suck on them if not on the feed, they'll bypass your meaty/plastic offering and simply taste those little things. OK for spoons/Raps chasing bigger Pannies and at night. Daylight and I suggest staying away from them, line twist isn't that big a problem if at all
That is the same thing I thought.  those little ones will bite on anthing that is not yur bait. the swivils will just agravate you.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:51 PM »
I use the small blackbird swivels and I have never had a problem with catching fish using them? Yeah the small dinks occasionally will swim up  and suck on the swivel but the way I see it is that just leaves the bait for the bigger ones that could be bothered by that tiny swivel. Just my two cents.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Yeah, I have swivels on most rods, and have no issues. Sure the odd fish pecks, but it is not as big an issue as it sounds

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:21 PM »
     x2 on the blackbirds, I run mine about 3' which seems to put it out of range, I've never had issues whith them, or fish hitting them.    spoonfeeder

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I use the smallest black swivel I can find to attach my leader to the main line. Never had a problem with fish hitting the swivel instead of the lure.

J-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.