Author Topic: using a 6 inch auger  (Read 2615 times)

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
using a 6 inch auger
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I've always used an 8 inch gas auger, no particular reason, its just what I've had.  I'm looking at getting a kDrill but I'm hung up on the size, 8 inch hole vs a 6 inch hole. 
With the 6 I'll be able to drill more holes on a battery than I will with an 8, but the drill kit I have has 2 5ah batteries so I think I have enough battery life for the 8 inch.

Will I regret getting a 6 inch auger?  Are there downfalls to fishing out of a 6 inch hole?  Is the 8 inch a lot harder on the drill and batteries in one day?

Thanks.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: using a 6 inch auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:41 PM »
What species do you fish for

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:45 PM »
How many holes do you drill on a average outing?

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Good points, my bad... I probably do 5 or less day trips for lakers in a year and mostly fish for crappie and whites.  When the kids can come I'll setup for bass.  The average hole per outing is all over the place, but I do get antsy and tend to drill alot of holes.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2018, 02:23 PM »
It also depends on what you have for a drill and batteries.
I personally cut the difference and went with a 7”, but with a lazer auger. The k drill isn’t truely 8” either, and it does wear out a battery faster as it takes longer to drill a hole. But it’s good if you need to redrill old holes, want to overlap holes, or have dirty ice. If going with K drill, I’d go with 6” and overlap the holes if you need a bigger hole.

Online TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2018, 03:07 PM »
On a real cold day, that 6 inch hole becomes 4 real quick.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2018, 04:08 PM »
I fished for a great many years using a 6" and pulled a fair share of big walleye and some sizable pike up thru those holes with no problem, but you do need to take some care in getting them started up in the hole.  Growing up fishing with my Dad we used his spoon auger - but chased mainly gills and perch - and that was a 4" hole, so when I went to a 6" it seemed like a huge hole.  I recently moved to an 8" auger because I like to use the Livewell Ice-well which requires an 8-10" hole.  I absolutely refuse to go to a 10" after stepping in one a couple years ago.

On a warm day that 10" hole becomes a 12" real quick....  ;D

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Well I own the 6 inch now!  ;D  Had $200 burning a hole in my pocket so I bought it from fishusa.com.

If a 6" hole ain't big enough, I'm having a good day!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:45 PM »
I've always used an 8 inch gas auger, no particular reason, its just what I've had.  I'm looking at getting a kDrill but I'm hung up on the size, 8 inch hole vs a 6 inch hole. 
With the 6 I'll be able to drill more holes on a battery than I will with an 8, but the drill kit I have has 2 5ah batteries so I think I have enough battery life for the 8 inch.

Will I regret getting a 6 inch auger?  Are there downfalls to fishing out of a 6 inch hole?  Is the 8 inch a lot harder on the drill and batteries in one day?

Thanks.

You won’t regret the 6” KDrill...I’ve had mine for a couple of years now.  I went from a 8” gas auger to a 6” Nils then then the 6” KDrill...you’ll be happy with it
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:59 PM »
6" Will work just fine but when the ice gets real thick and you have a nice laker on the line that you need to finesse up the hole any more diameter you can get is helpful. Also as said when it's cold the holes close up quicker.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:54 PM »
6" Will work just fine but when the ice gets real thick and you have a nice laker on the line that you need to finesse up the hole any more diameter you can get is helpful. Also as said when it's cold the holes close up quicker.

True, but with the chipper blades you can drill tandem holes pretty easily for those really cold days.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Mike Rojig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2018, 06:20 AM »
I have a 6” & an 8” bit that I switch back and forth on, depending if I’m fishing lakers or pannies.. I use a dewalt drill on a clam plate.. the 8” I need to peck drill as it will die out mid hole if I just hold the trigger and try to cut a hole without pecking..
I can get about 15-20 holes on a 4ah battery with the 8” and about 40 holes with the 6”. That’s with 12-15”of ice..

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2018, 05:18 AM »
I’m debating on the question of which 6” auger to get I am leaning towards the kdrill as it is good lift and has chipper blades that last a long time, also was thinking of the possibility of a 6” later auger as it is 1/2 the price, but with that said does that make enough of a difference?
Wait there's ice????

Offline Mike Rojig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I am running a fin Bore 3 and love it.. Never used a kdrill so I can’t speak for one...

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Good info in here. 

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I pulled a 28 inch touge through a 6 inch hole no problem just last season

Skinny touge? No girth?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:24 PM »
it was a normal girth, the only challenge was getting the head up into the hole. He actually went through that 6" hole twice, once coming up and once going back down

I can see the head being a challenge.

Nice work!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Well I own the 6 inch now!  ;D  Had $200 burning a hole in my pocket so I bought it from fishusa.com.

If a 6" hole ain't big enough, I'm having a good day!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

When fishing larger fish you could drill three holes in a pyramid type shape then spud out the insides to make one big hole ??  If fishing perch pan fish and whites then just use the single 6 inch hole.. saves cause your carrying a lighter auger but you work your drill 3 times as much per 3 holes with a little chipping out.. that's if there close to each other.. but how often are you augering holes and fishing bigger fish?? And is the k drill 8 inch much bigger then the 6 inch.. so you got to look at the up side..

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:09 PM »
The 6 vs 8 is an entertaining conversation but aren't the odds and probabilities of hooking into a Laker that won't fit thru a 6" rare given 5 days/year.  The problem being that is the rare hero fish you really want have a way of hitting the wrong rig. I'm in a similar situation as I fish for Mac's (Lakers in CO) and Pike on Tip Ups occasionally but most days are pans and trout.  I have the Fuel/6" Nills/Clam Plate which is the bomb for the lil ones but kept my Tanaka/8"Nils setup for just such occasions.  With the popularity of the drill rigs you might find a deal on a used gas powered 8.  An old Jiffy 30 for $50 or $75 might be worth it. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Skinny touge? No girth?

Must be skinny.  A fat 28"er can make an 8 look small!  I'll use an 8 or if I'm traveling light I'll do overlapping 6"holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.