Author Topic: Tracks for Atv  (Read 8951 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Tracks for Atv
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Nice machine - that 570 with the tracks.  Looks like Polaris switched to Camoplast for their track system.  Looks just like my Tatou 4S system - I have them on a Polaris 550 and love them for in the snow and on the ice.  The front tracks are designed to make steering effort easier and also to reduce the amount of snow, slush, dirt they throw in the air.  They size the drive sprockets to match the power of the machine - the bigger the machine the larger the sprockets and the faster the top end is.  I get about 60% of my top end with wheels and tires.  I also run in high range unless the snow is very deep or slushy.  I going into my 4th season and have not had any problems related to the tracks.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Camoplast makes the Polaris UTV track set, not sure about mine. The 570-1000 share the same drive sprocket. I have my manual up north with my machine, i have to look into adjusting the tracks. I know the set i have was new for Polaris for 2014.

Makes sense that the tracks are harder on the drivetrain its a hell of alot more weight. Im considering buying new springs and Gorilla axles.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #32 on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:02 AM »
I have the EPI HD springs all around on my 550 - makes a big difference.  I've not had any problems with my axles or other drive train components - I don't run mine in the mud though.  They go on for ice-fishing in December and come off in March when I'm done.

Offline IFH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:32 AM »
I got this set of track last fall. I purchased the Camoplast T4S. These tracks can be matched to different size bikes. They do this by changing the drive sprocket size. They are mounted on a CanAm 650 Outlander Max XT (this is a 2 up ATV). With tracks the bike is 54 inches wide and 9 feet long. It takes just over an hour (this is after the initial set-up) to put them on and 45 minutes to change back to tires. On this set the speed ratio is 0.68, this means if the speedometer is indicating 10 km/h then the actual speed is 6.8 km/h. Depending on the depth of snow with the engine running at 6000 rpm in high gear the actual speed is around 36 km/h. You will find the turning radius is reduced by quit a bit and your mileage will suck.

I've not put a lot of miles on them, but so far I'm amazed at how well they work. They do throw up snow when going fast.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I was amazed as to how much snow these things kick up. Im thinking of buying a set of fender flairs and have buy a cover for my flip over shack.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:13 AM »
I was amazed as to how much snow these things kick up. Im thinking of buying a set of fender flairs and have buy a cover for my flip over shack.
Some of that is in the design (shape) of the track.  I had flares on my Polaris and I would certainly recommend a cover on the shelter.  Any kind of towing will put splash up behind you.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:31 AM »
I'm another Grizzly 700 Camoplast 4s guy that is very pleased with the addition of tracks.  As far as throwing snow, it will do it when there's a lot of fluff out there but for the most part, it's not a problem.  I think Camoplast  slightly changed their track design in 2013 to further eliminate snow toss.  Here are a couple of pics of my rig. 

As far as what to do when or if it gets stuck, here's a link to a previous thread discussing that and illustrating a winch bar and how to use it that I made earlier this spring that could be of some help.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=292340.msg3059409#msg3059409
Chris Raymond

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I have that Otter rear hard box on order, I have to wait until mid January, but I'm stoked. That's probably the best rear storage system I've seen so far.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Man - I want one of those Otter Boxes!  I just can't come to grips with the shipping to Northern NY!  :(

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Man - I want one of those Otter Boxes!  I just can't come to grips with the shipping to Northern NY!  :(

Call Otter, they could probably quickly tell you if who if any of their dealers are stocking them local to you.  The front box didn't cost too much via UPS.  I picked up the rear from their factory on a trip through the area, but it would have been significant. 

Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.