Author Topic: Tracks for Atv  (Read 8948 times)

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tracks for Atv
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Looking at a Polaris with tracks , any pros or cons that you have would b great to hear , thanks !

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tracks for Atv
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:37 AM »
If you like it get it. Tracks can be taken off and wheels put on, so if it already had em on it then all you need is a set of rims and tires for when the snow is gone .

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Got tires too

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Tracked atv are the way to go. Everyone that lives on the lake my cottage is on runs them and swears by them. I was shocked at how well they work.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:20 AM »
They are the hot setup, but very expensive. For the price of tracks alone you could buy a decent used snowmobile. If you like the ATV buy it!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Have buddy that has one and it is abear in the snow will go thru just about anything, they are exspensive but I believe and buddy says they r worth it

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Attended the Harrisburg show last weekend, son and I saw the most beautiful Polaris four place with all bells and whistles AND tracks !! Only $30,000. -- Every outdoor nut like myself should have one, guess I'll have to pass, why,  my retirement check is a wee bit slim for one !!  JTP

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Thats alot of money Ret. this is a fifth of that going to check it out soon I have seen it about 4 years ago remember looking at it , didnt ride on it I had my own without tracks now it has come up for sale and I am in the market for a newer ATV. I have a 99 Quadrunner and she is cold blooded want some EFI .

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I have MatTracks on my Eiger Suzuiki 400. LOVE THEM! The only problem I have is the tracks are a little heavy for this size machine.  It overheats if I make a long run with them )i.e.- two weekends ago on Sacandaga, I took fish in for weight in a tourney, putting almost 30 miles on her in about 45 minutes. When I stopped to talk with someone, she stalled, over heated. I let her cool for a little while, then she was OK. the rest of the day, on short runs).

I put the tracks on, after market. If the engine was an 800, it would be ideal. I leave the tracks on year around. I got a GREAT deal on my tracks, used. About half price of new, in new condition.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I wondered about that but this Polaris is a 800x2 I also wondered if it put an extra strain on the front bearings and joints i not really sure about a Polaris though will take a look soon

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Looking at Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks for my Commander XT however $5K after taxes is perhaps a wee bit too much.  A wee bit.  Probably have to wait another year.....or two.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Looking at Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks for my Commander XT however $5K after taxes is perhaps a wee bit too much.  A wee bit.  Probably have to wait another year.....or two.

I considered Camoplast, until I looked at the online reviews. Google them.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I wondered about that but this Polaris is a 800x2 I also wondered if it put an extra strain on the front bearings and joints i not really sure about a Polaris though will take a look soon

I can't speak for the Polaris bearings and joints. The only Polaris I ever owned was a snowmobile and it was a piece of crap. But, the 800 engine is the right size for tracks. My Eiger has no problems with the bearings or joints, so far. I have been running my tracks now for 5 years. Just wish the engine was bigger.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Pros: go just about anywhere!
Cons: harder to steer, cost, and.....they don't float if you go through the ice!  I can attest to that last one! lol
Mike

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:17 AM »
Attended the Harrisburg show last weekend, son and I saw the most beautiful Polaris four place with all bells and whistles AND tracks !! Only $30,000. -- Every outdoor nut like myself should have one, guess I'll have to pass, why,  my retirement check is a wee bit slim for one !!  JTP
For 30K I think i'd be buying a new truck!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Never thought about the float factor. I have a Yamaha 660 Grizzly single cylinder liquid cooled, which I think would push the tracks. However for the price I am considering a set of bigfoot tires, say 27"-29" for the deeper snow conditions. Anyone with experience with the lager tires? I'd do the tracks in a heart beat if they didn't cost 5k.
  There was an old timer in my neighborhood that would put 60lbs of air in his stock 25" tires ballooning them up huge. Looked wild, I'd only be afraid to pop them. He did it gradually on a hot sunny summer day. That would solve the sink factor!

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:00 AM »
I went to 14" rims and 27" ITP XTR tires on my Grizzly 700. I have been on bad slush, and snow deep enough to hang up the frame. I've never been stuck, and that is towing 1 or 2 huts out there. Those days you have to be heavy on the throttle, but I haven't had to dig out yet.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:23 AM »
My grizzly is a beast in the snow I have aggressive 26's and no issues but tracks would be nice , if the miles are decent and everything is tight I would do it!
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:40 AM »
I just put some kenda executioners on my Arctic cat 500. You won't find a 6 ply tire like these for the price. They are awesome!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Never thought about the float factor. I have a Yamaha 660 Grizzly single cylinder liquid cooled, which I think would push the tracks. However for the price I am considering a set of bigfoot tires, say 27"-29" for the deeper snow conditions. Anyone with experience with the lager tires? I'd do the tracks in a heart beat if they didn't cost 5k.
  There was an old timer in my neighborhood that would put 60lbs of air in his stock 25" tires ballooning them up huge. Looked wild, I'd only be afraid to pop them. He did it gradually on a hot sunny summer day. That would solve the sink factor!
My old Griz was a 660 which I originally bought the tracks for.  Then I put them on my new 700.  Let me assure you, there are NO tires in the world that will go the places that tracks will! 
Mike

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Definately need a "big" machine for running tracks. They eat up alot of horse power. If you're "in a hurry", snowmobile is the way to go.
C'mon, share some info. I do.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:04 AM »
The following info was told to me by others & I don't own a set of tracks. Tracks are the ultimate setup on any of the higher cc ATV's & UTV's, if you can afford them. They will allow the machine to go almost anywhere you want to take it. They do make the machine harder to steer, but I've heard the electric power steering in the newer machines helps a bunch. I've heard mixed reviews on the added strain they put on the front-end. One guy told me that he put them on his Polaris Razr last winter and within 4 months all the wheel bearings were trashed. Another guy told me he's had them on his Grizzly 700 for four years now with no problems & that keeping the tracks properly adjusted is the key to longevity & not wearing parts out. I would love to have tracks someday, but the cost keeps me away.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:49 AM »
I would love to have tracks someday, but the cost keeps me away.

Boy, I hear you loud and clear.

WS

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:58 PM »
The following info was told to me by others & I don't own a set of tracks. Tracks are the ultimate setup on any of the higher cc ATV's & UTV's, if you can afford them. They will allow the machine to go almost anywhere you want to take it. They do make the machine harder to steer, but I've heard the electric power steering in the newer machines helps a bunch. I've heard mixed reviews on the added strain they put on the front-end. One guy told me that he put them on his Polaris Razr last winter and within 4 months all the wheel bearings were trashed. Another guy told me he's had them on his Grizzly 700 for four years now with no problems & that keeping the tracks properly adjusted is the key to longevity & not wearing parts out. I would love to have tracks someday, but the cost keeps me away.

You can find tracks on e-bay, from time to time, at decent prices. I got mine used. Saved half off new and they were in like new condition.  And, if you go with MatTracks, no adjustment needed. They are self adjusting. You only have to grease them after each trip. Only 4 grease fittings per track, easy to get at. And they are American made, cast aluminum.

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:25 PM »
I considered Camoplast, until I looked at the online reviews. Google them.
  I have read the reviews.  I've also test rode them on a commander xt 1000 like mine and was amazed.  Please help me out with your skepticism.  I am having a tough time finding bad press and am very interested in finding out what you know.  Have any links???  Thanks

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:05 AM »
  I have read the reviews.  I've also test rode them on a commander xt 1000 like mine and was amazed.  Please help me out with your skepticism.  I am having a tough time finding bad press and am very interested in finding out what you know.  Have any links???  Thanks
I have a set and have used them for years.  No complaints from me.
Mike

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:53 AM »
I have used a Polaris Ranger UTV 4X4 with tracks for research in the past, the thing went everywhere a snowmobile went and then some, climbing up steep banks and thick snow was a breeze.  Steering suffered pretty badly the tracks cut the turning radius by a good 20 degrees, and the tracks really added some weight.  Another thing to consider is the wheel well clearance, on the UTV we would put the gear on the back box or an extra guy and someone riding shotgun and the front of the cab would hit the tracks.  The tracks were not OEM and added to the setup later I think they were MattTracks but I can't remember exactly.  But all in all it got us on the ice when other machines would fail.

I also used to use a Ranger 6x6 out on a research farm in my undergrad, it had the double axle track in the back and the single in the front, that thing would eat 3 foot snow drifts (powder) without even climbing over, and anything that was packed down it would just climb over and keep going, steered well in powder, a little bit hard to crank around in hard pack or on dry ground.  Never had any well clearance issues with that machine, can't remember the track manufacturer either.

Offline livebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Have the Can-Am Outlander 1000 w/tracks. Great machine, will go anywhere, but even with power steering it is a job to keep on a straight line. Also tough to keep a full tank of gas.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:01 PM »

Old thread, but useful info now we're coming into the season before too long. Two of the biggest bits of misleading info on tracks are, "you need a big machine to run tracks" and "they don't turn for poo without power steering".

1) I own a Polaris 570 with the Prospector II Pro track set. No issues spinning them over 30 mph in low. AWD Low is the recommended gearing for running the tracks in snow, slush, uphill etc. No matter the machine, 400, 500, 600 etc, you'll be in low. Having a 800 or larger will not gain you any more speed. I tell folks that say, "well with those tracks on, you cut your speed in half". "How fast will you run in 20" of snow and 6" of slush with a wheeled machine?" Will an 800 or larger give you more torque? You betcha. Is bigger better? That depends on your wallet. For what I need my machine for, ice fishing, I don't need 60-70 some hp machine that does 70 mph with wheels.

2) If you take a look at the newer tracks like mine, you'll notice the front tracks aren't flush to the ground like the rears, there's a "bow" to them. Whether that was by design or not, I'd assume it was, that bow helps turn the machine very easily. First time I got on mine in the dealer garage, I had zero issues turning them without the atv running. Not as easy as wheels, but not impossible. While the atv runs, even in snow, they're not bad at all.

Not really sure what people are adjusting when putting on tracks. Mine mount up by adding a sprocket over my rotors, they slip on the tire studs, and then over the A arms with plates and have a shock absorber mounted in them laterally. There's nothing to tighten or adjust really to keep them from loosening.

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I bought a used SPortsman 850 with tracks, and it blew up after a year.  Not sure if it's becuase of the tracks, beat up used machine (didn't think so when i bought it), or just a lemon...but the tracks DO seem to be hard on the wheeler.  Nothing specific just in general...
I got a new one now with same tracks...just too awesome to resist.

(and there's a hole in tracks, slip a wrench thru it, tightens and loosens tracks over bogey wheels)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.