Author Topic: Tracks on your atv??????  (Read 3115 times)

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
Tracks on your atv??????
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Has anybody put these on???These are not cheap!!!i checked on some and shipped are $3400..WOW.Company SAID they sold alot off these in N and South Dakota this winter allready.Do you just take the tires off and the tracks just bolt on???seems to me that there has to be alot of torque in deep snow to turn these tracks compared to tires,this can't be good on the drive gears units and all,,,,,CAN IT?????  and these would almost have to void any warranty on the atv,,i would think!!!!!Would like to get some input on this topic as it is real hard getting around anymore and still more snow coming down..I watched some videos with tracks on atv's and that was real impressive,they were in real deep snow and were getting around just like a sled would but for the price,thats WAY out of my range.Are there after-market ones or such that would cheapen it up or something?  Thanks for reading.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tracks on your atv??????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:05 PM »
They are quite impressive and quite costly. Think about it this way, you are adding much more rolling resistance to your drive train than a wheel would have, its simple logic no matter what some may tell you. It does slow a machine down to about half its speed also.
I have a 4x4 ATV that I use for ice fishing and much more and it gets the job done very well and for that kind of cash I could get a nice used snowmobile and have a better unit in the snow and way faster when I want to play, I just don't have deep pockets for ATV add-on's like that.
Just my personal opinion,,,,,,,

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:10 PM »
For half that price you should be able to buy a decent snowmobile and modify it just for icefishing..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Erzeez77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Agreed. Your probably better off buying a snowmachine. A few guys I know bought tracks for there quads and they dont like them due to the fact that they throw alot of snow.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I looked into them last fall, and this is what my dealer told me about them You either build them one time or have your dealership build the track ( put together outa the box) once it's done you don't build the track again. there is also a mounting plate too. But what they told me was once you but them together they are to go on and off like you would change a tire on it

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Thanks for the input guys,i just NEED to fish and with all this snow its litterally impossible.getting a sled would be the best option but then you have one more piece of transportation to keep maintained  and running but if its running it will get you out on the fish,right!!!! I did see on a vid that the tracks do kick up malot of snow and that would sorta be a draw back, would get everything covered with snow.I hate all this snow.. :( and i don't have deep pockets either to purchase tracks but they would be nice.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:56 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI&feature=related this is what i think would do just nice. it looks fast enough to go along way but light enough to pull out of trouble. with only 13 horse power a tank of fuel would last all day.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI&feature=related this is what i think would do just nice. it looks fast enough to go along way but light enough to pull out of trouble. with only 13 horse power a tank of fuel would last all day.
That does look pretty cool. have any idea what it would cost to build? to start with its $20 bucks for blue prints but then it would be a fun challenge after that.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:11 PM »
That does look pretty cool. have any idea what it would cost to build? to start with its $20 bucks for blue prints but then it would be a fun challenge after that.
i have no clue on the money needed to build this. but i would have a good time with it even if it took me two years to build. i have most of the tools i think, but coming up the the money in this market is really tough for me. i would love to try though.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2010, 06:06 AM »
I like this one better      maybe cause of the john deere green   lol   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCMhW6liow&NR=1
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I think the end of the ice fishing season would happen before he got 1/2 way to the spot he wants to fish, not a bad idea, but terribly slow.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:35 AM »
beats walking
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Ya, beats walking, maybe if he put slightly larger diameter drive wheels at the back, it would increase the speed, just a bit.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:54 AM »
It may be slow, but I bet that thing has the torque of a small bulldozer! He's the guy you want to make friends with when your hard side is stuck in the slush  ;D
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.