Author Topic: ATV TRACKS  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Mojo

• IceShanty Rookie
ATV TRACKS
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is using them and if they get around alright or if a sled would be better?

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV TRACKS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:12 PM »
My only b***h is the fact that you cant steer easily with the tracks but its not as bad as you would think.My Brute Force with tracks will go anywhere a sled will go and it will do it on any type of terrain from sheer ice to snow to slush roads mud rocks you name it.With that bieng said don't get a snow only set of tracks as they are not the same price as the dual porpoise tracks.Give the guys a call at atvtracks.net they are great and will guide you to the best tracks for your machine and what you are going to do with it.The way I though about it was I need my atv for hunting but when you add the upkeep of another machine then the insurance and registration fees and the fact that the snowmobile is limited to what you can do with it I went with the tracks.Plus you can always get a different mounting kit and simply change the tracks to a new quad,If you need anything else let me know.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:34 AM »
My friend got some tracks for his Griz last year.  He said they worked well, but had issues with them freezing up when parked, and they geared him down too much to be of much use.  They where sold after a month and he picked up a snowmobile for the few times he can't get through with the wheeler.

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:35 AM »
What kind of tracks did he have?They do gear down the quad but not that much.Heck I can still do 40 or so if I pin it but I don't care to.As far as freezing they will freeze just like a snowmobiles track will.if you know that you have slush and cold temps then spray down with some Pam or walmart lube and that stuff will come right off in a hurry.works for sleds to.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:46 AM »
What kind of tracks did he have?They do gear down the quad but not that much.Heck I can still do 40 or so if I pin it but I don't care to.As far as freezing they will freeze just like a snowmobiles track will.if you know that you have slush and cold temps then spray down with some Pam or walmart lube and that stuff will come right off in a hurry.works for sleds to.

He was down to 30mph on a Griz 700.  The tracks did not freeze up on the lake, but overnight on the trailer.  He had to break out a large mallet and beat on them to free up the tracks.  I can ask the brand next time I see him.

Offline Mojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Machinist what kind of tracks do you have? I have been looking at the camoplast tatou 4s. How bad is the freeze up problem?

Offline Mojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Also forgot to mention i have a 500 honda foreman with power steering so steering with tracks should not be an issue.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:06 PM »
my brother in law has them on his rhino and they work great for ice fishing next year i will prob sell the rev and buy tracks
Just enjoying life

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Machinist what kind of tracks do you have? I have been looking at the camoplast tatou 4s. How bad is the freeze up problem?

Those are the tracks that I have.I have never had a problem with them freezing.but I have never been in alot of slushy/freezing conditions

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:33 PM »
take a look at the matt tracks. www.mattracks.com or www.litefootatv.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.