Author Topic: Woodstove in permanent hut  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Cole1290

• IceShanty Rookie
Woodstove in permanent hut
« on: Mar 27, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Hey guys I’m looking at installing a woodstove into my permanent hut. Just wondering what everyone is using for chimney pipe. Single wall or double wall? Any tips for installing would be appreciated.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Woodstove in permanent hut
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 01:24 PM »
I’ve a few with wood heat, many years ago. I always used single pipe with the spacer where It went thru the wall. Usually 6x8 houses. Nice heat but a dirty, sweat-freeze pain in the butt.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2021, 03:01 PM »
In my old wood shack I cut a hole in a thin gauge piece of flat metal and ran a single wall pipe through that out the side, then a 90 degree elbow to get it up over the roof. I used fireproof calking to seal between the flat metal and the stove pipe.  In my store bought aluminum shack they ran single wall up into a double wall going through the roof.

It would be a good idea to put some sort of fire-proof backing behind the stove and under it.  Not a good picture of the old shack stove setup, but you get the idea of what was scrounged to fend back some of the heat and sparks.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Single wall is what you want. Double wall is more insulated, but you want the pipe to radiate heat into the space. We use them in tents, and you need a stove jack- something non-flammable where it goes through the roof- they make these. We ended up making a galvanized sheet metal reflector that stood behind the stove, and reflected the heat from behind the stove forward. That kept the canvas from getting toasted when the stove was roaring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.