Author Topic: Tip up parts, where to buy?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip up parts, where to buy?
« on: Feb 28, 2024, 08:05 AM »
I have a bunch of nice cut off strips of mahogany and Teak and it is perfect for making cross stick tip ups. I did some searching online and a couple phone calls to makers of the better tip ups and what I learned is it is cheaper to just buy the ready made tip ups than it is to buy all the parts. Does anyone know of a good source for the better quality parts. I tried with Jack Trap and Heritage laker and it was scary.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip up parts, where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2024, 08:39 AM »
I built some a few years back.  The hardest part for me was making the grease tube for the heritage style as I couldn't find that part.  Most of the hardware you need for the folding cross pieces you can get at the hardware store.  I'd recommend stainless for obvious reasons but a little more expensive.

5, 10-24 x 2" Phillips pan head
5, 10-24 x 1 1/2" Phillips pan head
10, 10-24 wing nuts
20 nylon washers

Drill everything out with a 3/16" drill bit and put them together.  The rest I pieced together from the link below.

https://heritagetraps.com/collections/tip-up-parts
westernmas on the finder

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2024, 11:28 AM »
YUP! Heritage sells everything except the trip tube. Jack trap will sell the entire works but for more money than the completed tip ups cost. I really love my Jack traps and the hardware and trip mechanism but just want to use my own special woods and make them for my grands.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2024, 03:53 PM »
YUP! Heritage sells everything except the trip tube. Jack trap will sell the entire works but for more money than the completed tip ups cost. I really love my Jack traps and the hardware and trip mechanism but just want to use my own special woods and make them for my grands.

We fabricated the grease tube with some solder and bent the trip wire ourselves.  Admittedly wasn't perfect and a few have stopped working.  I have 2 I still use on special occasions but the rest need to some upgrades to function well.  Best of luck.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2024, 04:06 PM »
We decided to do a mix and match of parts from Jack trap and some from Heritage. I am sure I can make a fine set of custom made traps but not much cheaper then if we could find one or the other brand on sale or closeout. Just a quality gift from Gramps they should appreciate all of their lives.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:45 AM »
We decided to do a mix and match of parts from Jack trap and some from Heritage. I am sure I can make a fine set of custom made traps but not much cheaper then if we could find one or the other brand on sale or closeout. Just a quality gift from Gramps they should appreciate all of their lives.

Get them involved in the process.  I did it with my uncle who has since passed and they are great memories of him.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2024, 11:30 AM »
I wish we could buy some Allagash parts as I like to have another set

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.