Author Topic: how far apart and how deep?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
how far apart and how deep?
« on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:46 PM »
how far apart do you put your tip ups for pike? and how far off the bottom do you go? i talked to one of my buddies that own a bait shop about the lake im going to and where we are going its kinda narrow, he said just to start like right off shore and go across.. i wanted to see some preferances on how many "paces" you go between tipups, and how far off bottom.
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
Re: how far apart and how deep?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:39 PM »
It depends on the size of the lake or bay.Spread them wide when you find the fish move them.Find 5-10 ' of water 100' - 150' apart 2' off the bottom to start.Whats the average lake depth???

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 PM »
uhh i think the average is about 15 fow, ik the spot we will be in is about 20-25 deepest. and only about 150-200 yards wide, at the smallest spot.. also we are using suckers if that makes a difference

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Only as far as you're willing to run. If the flags are flying on a good day. That one tipup 100 yards away that keeps going off can get a little frustrating.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:37 AM »
How many traps??If you have 2- 3 guys run both shores in a zig zag pattern 5-10' water.The reason you spread traps is to find fish.If you start to get action move your slow traps around your active traps.I rather fish with golden shiners more flash.We have had some great days with suckers too.

Good Luck,
John

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:57 PM »
well i had some good luck but didnt land any yesterday, but they got a free meal, and broke off a few shanks on my hooks, but today was slow we only got 2 small perch on jig stick all day, and next time i fish pike ill make sure to buy pike bait aka large shiners, i thought suckers would work better but my father yelled at me when i told him and he said "your not fishing lake trout" we use smelt when avalible for lakers and suckers, and shiners for pike but iv never targeted pike before this weekend was my first time my brother did catch a small 11'' pike on a tip up set up for perch.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Up grade your hooks. They make 2X, 3X and 4X hooks. This indicates the thickness of the wire used.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:07 AM »
1 foot off bottom for pike. I spread my tip ups 25-30 large paces apart. I like to find a structural element on shore maybe a rock pile or a nice point with rocks on it or if you've been in the area in your boat mate you know where a nice weed line is something "fishy"... I'll usually start off a point maybe 10-15 yards starting in 4-5ft of water and work my way out.

Offline Gman315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I like to spread them wide but set my clam towards the center of the spread to shorten the run out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.