Author Topic: South Dakota  (Read 6057 times)

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
South Dakota
« on: Aug 05, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Hello; every year some friends and I choose a new destination for ice fishing; last year was Clear Lake in Iowa, year before North Dakota and parts of Nebraska. This year looking at the Waubay area in South Dakota; been reading and researching with mixed results and feelings. Seems the re is a lot of fishing pressure on this area; have any of you been there before and any info you might give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Good, luck.  We got our butts kicked 2 years ago(5 keeper fish with 4 guys fishing, over 3 days), andy buddy and his group didn't do too great last year.
"Balance in all things"

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 11:54 AM »
SoDak can be really good or really bad or in between.  I have been going there for 4 years now and 3 of my 5 trips have been just okay.  We put in a lot of work and were rewarded with big fish and average numbers.  The other two times we did really well with one trip limiting out both days on walleyes and last years trip we got on a giant school of perch and walleye and we limited out on both in the same spot with my group of 6. 

I would recommend going.  It's a unique area with a lot of places to fish.  You can fish Waubay or Bitter and be with the crowds (plenty of area on these lakes to fish away from crowds to) or fish a hundred different bodies of water in the area and you may not see another person.

I was always told to either try and go early season or late season (heard late is the best) right before ice out.  We have always went right before Christmas and the crowds aren't that bad at that time.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2018, 03:52 PM »
My son and I have been there 2 times in the last 3 years, once with a guide and once with out. Did very will both times,
Great area with great people, I recommend going!

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2018, 04:22 PM »
We went with a group of 6 to Waubay last year.  There wasn't 20 shacks on the entire lake.  We had a rough go of it.  We caught fish but only a couple in the morning and a couple at night. Perch were really nice sized.  I would go again that being said. But I would kind of look for the lakes with the crowds on them and at least start there.  We jumped to a couple of different lakes which worked out nicely.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Being from NE SD, and being an ice fishing junkie, I can tell you that NE South Dakota is one of the best places! We have a lot of lakes in a small area, anything from the big lakes like Waubay, Bitter, Poinsett, and down to the smallest sloughs, most bodies of water have fish in them! Timing is crucial! By the time you hear about the bite, you're probably too late! Once word gets out, the masses of people follow and usually the fishing shuts down quickly. Early ice and late ice are best, but there are still plenty of fish to be caught all winter long! Most people who come here from out of state want to catch the walleye and jumbo perch, and while they might be the hot commodity, there are also a lot of other species of fish that are a blast to catch and there are a lot of unpressured bodies of water to enjoy! The last couple years I've been trying to get away from the crowds and fish waters that nobody seems to fish much, and have had some great success doing so! It's all about putting in the work! You can't just get here and follow the crowds of people and expect to put limits in your buckets! There may be times that works, but most of the time, you're just going to be lucky to catch a few! Best of Luck!

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for the heads up; what is the best place to go to research these smaller bodies of water or less pressured lakes if I may ask; any info would be helpful without giving away specific spots. We are heading up for a week starting January 7th.

Offline masonfromMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:10 AM »
i wouldnt hesitate to start doing a SD trip in your annual plans...we go up from NW Missouri a couple times a year chasing perch and eyes, or anything that will bite......echo what everyone else says....if you hear its good...its probably over...we stay in arlington because its an hour closer for us, have learned alot over the years and can fish several lakes in all directions...weve done real well at times....and done really bad at times....weather and the ability to move is very important.  weve been on poinsett or thompson and did so -so only to see guys at the cleaning station had hammered em....move move move and you'll likely be rewarded...most of the time their isnt a magical spot or GPS coordiantes...you must work for them.....most other out of state guys will help you outif you run in to them at the bait shop, etc....the locals are pretty tight lipped and I can't say as i blame them...there are alot of options but pressure can be crazy when the word gets out....especially on places like poinsett, thompson, and whitewood....good luck and PM me and I'll give you any info i can to help you out...i know what its like to venture out to a new area for the first time

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:58 AM »
i wouldnt hesitate to start doing a SD trip in your annual plans...we go up from NW Missouri a couple times a year chasing perch and eyes, or anything that will bite......echo what everyone else says....if you hear its good...its probably over...we stay in arlington because its an hour closer for us, have learned alot over the years and can fish several lakes in all directions...weve done real well at times....and done really bad at times....weather and the ability to move is very important.  weve been on poinsett or thompson and did so -so only to see guys at the cleaning station had hammered em....move move move and you'll likely be rewarded...most of the time their isnt a magical spot or GPS coordiantes...you must work for them.....most other out of state guys will help you outif you run in to them at the bait shop, etc....the locals are pretty tight lipped and I can't say as i blame them...there are alot of options but pressure can be crazy when the word gets out....especially on places like poinsett, thompson, and whitewood....good luck and PM me and I'll give you any info i can to help you out...i know what its like to venture out to a new area for the first time
PM'd you.

Offline Andrewhla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Just curious how your trip turned out, if you went. A group of friends and I are going up there in a couple weeks.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:57 PM »
We are heading up on the 7th; so just a few days from now. Will let everyone know how we did when we return; what worked and didn't; happy fishing everyone.

Offline buess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:49 PM »
A group of friends and I are headed up for year 3 to the Waubay area next Thursday, will just miss you.  Been on Bitter the past two years, Lake Poinsett is the plan this year.  Let me know where they're biting when you're there so we can avoid that area.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:52 PM »
How did you do on Bitter then if I may ask? Any pointers or info while up there? Best bait shops in the area, etc> Maps you used? Thanks in advance and we will be there the 7th through the 13th; so if you like could share some info last few days we are up there back and forth. Thinking of hitting Poinsett or area lakes on the way back south if going good.

Offline buess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2019, 01:01 PM »
We have not had a good run in the area, but to be fair, we saw a 30 degree temperature drop from the time we got there 2 years ago through the first few hours which killed the bites (no one we spoke with in the area was having any luck either), and last year we spent more time drinking and fishing from the cabin holes than out on the ice chasing.  Are you guys staying out in a cabin on the ice or in one of the lodges?  Proud Angler Bait in Watertown is solid.  We're bring the four wheeler up this time to be a bit more mobile on the lake, as Poinsett has had some inconsistent ice over the past month. We'll be on the ice Friday morning, let me know how the first of the week goes.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Just back from our 1st Webster trip; about 20-22 inches of good ice on Waubay and everyone driving out. Bitter was dead. Also tried a couple lakes down in the Brookings area. Lots of quality fish on Waubay but have to be willing to search and work for them. Found most of ours roaming the basin in 21 foot of water. Firetiger buckshots tipped with spikes or a minnow head worked best but caught them on other baits as well.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Hey eyecrosser, sounds like you guys had a good trip! Heading up to waubay area on the 7th of Feb. Can I ask what part of waubay
you were on. Always a fun time up there, thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.