Author Topic: Lake Winnepeg  (Read 2835 times)

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Lake Winnepeg
« on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Anybody know the current travel conditions on Lake Winnipeg? Pickup or does a guy need a tracked vehicle?
Thanks

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Re: Lake Winnepeg
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Anybody know the current travel conditions on Lake Winnipeg? Pickup or does a guy need a tracked vehicle?
Thanks
I was out there on Friday and Sunday last week and it was no problem getting around with a truck except for crossing cracks or ridges. Today, we're experiencing blizzard conditions and colder temperatures. This season, the weather has been yo-yo like and seems to change to extremes from day to day. Predicting modes of travels is weather dependent. Like the 2 guys from In-Depth Outdoors that were here earlier, they left their machines at home and regretted it because they couldn't get to an area they wanted to fish. My advice.....best come fully prepared for all conditions. FYI: The Red River is already spewing lots of dirty water into the lake because we've had at least 3 heavy thaws thus far.
Hope this helps.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Hey anybody fishing up at Winnepeg? Heading up there Monday the 20th and wondering how the ice is holding up and any current ice travel conditions. Thanks for any replies...

Offline skreeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:31 PM »
All good as of tonight.

Offline skreeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Smooth ice. zero snow out

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Thanks bud... how thick is the ice yet?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2017, 05:53 PM »
The ice is moving quite a bit. Bring planks with you to cross the ridges.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Planks?? Sounds a bit scary.... might have to wait till next year.. I see 51 degrees there tomorrow and just wonder if even atv travel is safe anymore? 

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Agreed. Moving a lot everyday! Out on Tuesday and yesterday.  Lake access was different both days. Ended up doing tour de lake Winnipeg on Thursday! Fun to say it's off my bucket list but a long nervous drive in a truck!! Accessed at 113 run and gunned to the middle of the lake and figured hey I've never been out this far in 10 yrs if there's a time to try the shore to shore drive on hard water it's now. So we attempted to get off at chalet or warner just to find that the ridge is nasty and moving. Followed it all the way to Winnipeg beach just for the lake to say screw you im the boss! Turned around and tried making my way off pruden to save another 45 mins as I was lucky enough to use it on Tuesday. Nope!! Shifted a lot. Back to balsam we went only to Barely squeeze over a new ridge that formed over night. Was absolutely not there at all on the Tuesday!! Took just over 1.5 hours to get off. Not driving on with truck for the rest of year. You can with a truck get in at chalet, warner,balsam and 113 BUT not going far. Will have to fish the ridges. Bring planks or machines. Even planks are only going so far as the cracks that are level where planks are handy are turning into jagged impassable ridges as they compress.

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Travel on lake is safe! Especially with ATV. 3-4 ft solid ice. It's just getting past a ridge or 2 that's at question. Not the integrity of the ice..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.