Author Topic: Finally a day away from the rink  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Fishseekerrtns

• IceShanty Rookie
Finally a day away from the rink
« on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:23 AM »
 It's been a few years since I've been out icefishing and I finally have a day away from the hockey rink on Sunday . We were thinking of going to Matlock to do some fishing can we get on the ice at Matlock with our trucks can we use live minnows and if so where can I find some and how thick is the ice if I'm driving around out there ? I was thinking of trying to get closer to the mouth of the river.

Any advice appreciated
Fishseeker returns

Offline deerblaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Finally a day away from the rink
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:26 PM »
Yes u can get on at matlock. You can get live minnows at mattock grocery store. We went out about 2-3km very rough but lots of ice. Good luck

Offline Fishseekerrtns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Thanks deer blaster. I was able to find minnows at cabelas because I wasn't sure if the store would be open. But it opens at 7:30 which is awesome.  I'm thinking of going out Sunday morning, can you still drive on? How quickly is this warm weather deteriorating the ice?

Offline Fishseekerrtns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:44 PM »
On Sunday it was great ice to drive on. My daughter and I went out with 24 minnows and traded them for 4 keepers as we sorted about 10 fish.  Love spring fishing

Offline Hard Ice Hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I'll be taking my first trip out on the South end of the lake soon and am thankful to you for sharing this information.

Offline Fishseekerrtns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:57 PM »
 No problem that's the point to this forum sounds like the fishing has slowed down but I'm hoping to get out again on Sunday.   I have to think that the ice is in great condition with today's cold weather . Good luck

Offline Hard Ice Hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Well is was a good trip. We went on off of Warner road on the West side as we had heard accesses on the East side were snowed in. I tied into a 30+ within 5 hours on Friday night. I was excited to say the least. We caught many 15 to 17" fish on Friday and Saturday, with only two 26" besides my 30+. We had to leave early Sunday without fishing due to the flu hitting a member of our party.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.